Let's see your tubes!

JakeJ

Re: Let's see your tubes!
« Reply #500 on: 13 Jun 2013, 09:11 am »
First, I want to thank all of the contributors to this amazing thread!  It really has some incredible gear as well as tubes and collections.

Adrianc, it's clear you understand the value of what you have spent 20+ years building as well as the monetary investment.  All of us appreciate your sharing it.  You have stated you don't sell from your collection but if at all possible could you share those sources that would to sell to others?  There are members of Audiocircle with the means to purchase some of the gems in your posts and I am sure they would appreciate that opportunity.  I for one do not have the means to delve into the NOS world any more plus my aging ears can not hear the subtle differences between a NOS and a new production tube in a given circuit.  For me personally my money would likely be better spent buying the current highest quality tubes available from China or Russia.

And as others have asked what, pray tell, equipment do you use such a precious stash in?  Inquiring minds want to know!

jhm731 - please enlighten us as to what exotic pieces of equipment you posted pictures of?

J-Pak - What amps are your pictures of?

Hugh - those are the Melody MN845 monoblocks artfully photographed?  Very cool!

Dimfer - please tell us what your photo is of.  PSET is a brand or does it stand for parallel, single ended triode?

Keep the awesome photos coming, please!  And links to manufacturers are always appreciated for us droolers, thanks.
« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2013, 03:07 pm by JakeJ »

adrianc

« Reply #501 on: 13 Jun 2013, 11:21 am »
Hi JakeJ,some company which supplied the valves to me still exist but they don't have any more stock now,thanks to the internet as they will put them on E-Bay to get a much higher price,I never thought buying valves is an investment as I 'm only bought the best valves for my system 20+years ago.It's hard to justify the value of these vintage valves when pay high price for them and that's the reason why I try to stated the different construction of different valves.Don't buy any vintage valves unless you know exactly what you're after.
Regards
Adrian

J-Pak

« Reply #502 on: 13 Jun 2013, 02:29 pm »
JakeJ it's an Eddie Current Balancing Act, can be used as preamp or headphone amp, I'm using it as both.

http://www.eddiecurrent.com/Balancing_Act.html

JakeJ

« Reply #503 on: 13 Jun 2013, 03:09 pm »
Thanks, Adrian.  Excellent advice.

Thanks J-Pak, very nice piece that.

adrianc

« Reply #504 on: 13 Jun 2013, 03:19 pm »
A nice match
I like the box more than the valve :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #505 on: 13 Jun 2013, 03:45 pm »
Hi adrianc and all Audio Circle members.
Yes, sometimes the box is nicer than the tube.

Guy 13

adrianc

« Reply #506 on: 13 Jun 2013, 11:15 pm »
Telefunken E88CC

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #507 on: 13 Jun 2013, 11:33 pm »

PSET GM70's - 60 watts room heaters  :lol:
Wow, how is the sound of this GM70 amp? Any brand??
Thanks
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2013, 02:03 am by FULLRANGEMAN »

adrianc

« Reply #508 on: 14 Jun 2013, 12:39 pm »
Nearly all Telefunken ECC88 come with thick fat getter but most of their E88CC gold pin are not.
Different version Telefunken E88CC
Vertical rib support thin getter
45 degree flat support thick fat getter with cooper rod
45 degree flat support thick fat getter with nickel rod
The one with cooper rod sounds best but to me,they still not good enough when to other top E88CCs

adrianc

« Reply #509 on: 14 Jun 2013, 12:59 pm »
My system

Cables are,Siltech,MIT,NBS,Synergistic,Kimber,Harmonic Tech,Triode wire labs and Wireworld.

JakeJ

« Reply #510 on: 14 Jun 2013, 03:49 pm »
Very nice system and a pretty room too!  Thanks for sharing that.  Sweet AVO tester in beautiful condition!

Ericus Rex

« Reply #511 on: 14 Jun 2013, 03:53 pm »
My system

Cables are,Siltech,MIT,NBS,Synergistic,Kimber,Harmonic Tech,Triode wire labs and Wireworld.

Beautiful stuff!  What are those tube amps?  I'm not familiar with any of them.  And what's that in between your AR components?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #512 on: 14 Jun 2013, 04:04 pm »
Cool!!!
We finally get to see the illusive Adrian system.  :lol:
What's the big monster on the left? The unit with the twin dials and all the knobs....

ltr317

« Reply #513 on: 14 Jun 2013, 05:28 pm »
Adrian -  :o  I can only dream to have a system like that.  Well done sir. 

Bob - Just like Jake said, that's an AVO tube tester. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #514 on: 14 Jun 2013, 05:48 pm »
Sorry, I didn't know he and I were talking about the same piece.

ltr317

« Reply #515 on: 14 Jun 2013, 07:08 pm »
Sorry, I didn't know he and I were talking about the same piece.

No need to apologize.

I wish I had the foresight like Adrian to start collecting tubes when I was young.  I never thought I would see some of these since they have not been manufactured for so many years.  I also am not willing to pay the exorbitant prices of the used ones that are currently available.  But thanks to Adrian if I happen to run across one of the rarities at a good price, I can use his photos to authenticate the tube.   :thumb:

Dimfer

« Reply #516 on: 14 Jun 2013, 10:49 pm »
Wow, how is the sound of this GM70 amp? Any brand??
Thanks

The amps were made by Trodt Audio, all transformers (mains & coupling) were custom wound for specific tubes used.

The sound is very dynamic, and with plenty of bass to boot. I had $16k msrp 20 watt 845's from Italy before, and they don't even compare.

I was told that an identical pair was compared to a much more expensive pair of tube amps from a respected builder from Japan, and Trodt GM 70 did very well.

Disclosure - I am an audio dealer, this is one of the brands I am offering.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #517 on: 14 Jun 2013, 10:52 pm »
The amps were made by Trodt Audio, all transformers (mains & coupling) were custom wound for specific tubes used.

The sound is very dynamic, and with plenty of bass to boot. I had $16k msrp 20 watt 845's from Italy before, and they don't even compare.

I was told that an identical pair was compared to a much more expensive pair of tube amps from a respected builder from Japan, and Trodt GM 70 did very well.

Thanks Dimfer for these details.
Cheers

Ericus Rex

« Reply #518 on: 14 Jun 2013, 11:22 pm »

And what's the blue stuff on the tubes?

adrianc

« Reply #519 on: 14 Jun 2013, 11:36 pm »
Very surprise and many thanks to all of you like my system,
Amplifiers are Leak12.1,Stereo 20,Krell KSA-50S,BBC AM8/4 EL34 Mono Block and the Chinese made Huston EL34 Mini 2.
Best regards
Adrian