Next meeting

Carlman

Next meeting
« on: 2 Mar 2004, 02:33 am »
Who, when and where?  Anyone interested in having a meeting in March or do you all just want to wait until April?

Anyone know of anything coming up in March worthy of note?

-Carl

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Next meeting
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2004, 04:37 am »
I definitely want to volunteer to host one of these events.  But April would be a better month for me to host.  That way the VR-4jrs will have had some time to break in and I can show them off... in addition, I am STILL waiting on a ton of stuff to come in....  the audio industry moves at such a pathetically slow pace, sometimes I wonder if it isn't moving in reverse!! :)

Anyone else want to volunteer?  I want to hear some more gear!  This time I actually want to sit in front of the speakers for more than 3 minutes :) hehehe

So who's hosting???

Carl, Did you see the soundstage review??

Shane

Carlman

Next meeting
« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2004, 01:57 pm »
I haven't been in a position to read much lately... I'm in full swing in a short, intense contract.  

However, I would really like it if someone would host something in the next few weekends... Say March 20th?  That way we could call it 'Spring Fling' or something catchy...

Maybe make it a comedy of sorts... where we all do a 'spring cleaning' and bring really bad gear to review.  Sort of poor-man's hifi session. ;)

At the end we could donate it all to charity or something.  I don't know, just thinking out loud.

-Carl

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Next meeting
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2004, 02:15 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I haven't been in a position to read much lately... I'm in full swing in a short, intense contract.  

However, I would really like it if someone would host something in the next few weekends... Say March 20th?  That way we could call it 'Spring Fling' or something catchy...

Maybe make it a comedy of sorts... where we all do a 'spring cleaning' and bring really bad gear to review.  Sort of poor-man's hifi session. ;)

At the end we could donate it all to charity or something.  I don't know, just thinking out loud.

-Carl

I like the idea.... I won't be able to sit in front of the speakers though :(

Except for a couple DIY speakers that I hate the sound of, I don't own anything that's really bad sounding....  maybe someone could stop by Best Buy and pick up something really bad like a Bose setup or something.....

Shane

Carlman

Next meeting
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2004, 02:24 pm »
Quote from: hometheaterdoc
maybe someone could stop by Best Buy and pick up something really bad like a Bose setup or something.....

Shane

I think it would be more fun it it were stuff purely from the closets... you never know, there may be a few gems in there... Maybe even a small cloud of smoke here and there... ;)

The idea of buying something new that is already junk is just wrong.
 :lol:

-C

Hantra

Next meeting
« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2004, 03:28 pm »
Anyone know of anything coming up in March worthy of note?

Hmm. . ACC tournament in my back yard.  Of course no one has tickets except the "elite".  Us common folk will have to watch on TV.   :evil:

BTW, I may have something to listen to by the end of the month.  Not sure yet.

claud

Next meeting
« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2004, 09:26 pm »
I'm up to attend a meeting any time after the 20th. I would love to hear the VS jr.s. , drink some beer and spend some time with you guys. I'll bring a couple of six packs of something good. Abita Turbo Dog? Carolina Pale Ale? Miller Lite?
Shane, what are you going to use for electronics to power the Jr.s?

claud

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Next meeting
« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2004, 12:27 am »
Claud,

As of right now, I have the Bel Canto Pre/Pro for preamplification of multichannel DVD Audio and SACD.  It will drive the Bel Canto Evo6 II in balanced, dual differential mode for the front three channels, with 2 Carver ZR-1600s for surround duties.

I also have the Bel Canto Evo2i II for strict two channel duty.

In the next week or so, I *SHOULD* have an Opera integrated amp, and their SACD 2.0 reference player on hand (So the Evo6 II could be driven directly from the source), as well as a few other source pieces.  I'm still waiting on a bunch of stuff that shold only take 5 minutes to finalize, but is seeming to take 4 months.....

The 4jrs haven't arrived yet.  I'm still waiting on them as well.  I got pushed into the second round of 4jrs that will be delivered mid to late this month.  I've also got some VR-2s, the dipole surrounds, some more LCR-15s, etc. coming.  So that is why I requested sometime in April.  That way I can run the VR-4s and Vr-2s non stop 24/7 for a week or two to at least break them in a little before everyone listens...

I should have some Usher stuff on hand soon as well.  I'm still debating on how much Phase Tech stuff I want to bring in for the more budget conscious home theater crowd.  I don't have enough room to house all these speakers!!! :)  Anybody want to buy some speakers???  :) hehehe

Shane

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Next meeting
« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2004, 11:45 am »
I would offer to host, but like Shane and Carl I'm pretty jammed in March.  I won't even be in town for most of the last two weeks, and I have a boatload of work to get done before than.  Don't feel too sorry for me though, as I'm at conferences in N'Orleans and then Myrtle Beach.

Let's see ...
Live jazz ... closet clutter ... live blues ... closet clutter ...  
Gee, you guys are making it tough to decide  :wink:

If I don't now have to change my name to 'They Hate Me', I'd be glad to host in April or May.

sheadlee

Next meeting
« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2004, 03:42 pm »
I still want to attend one of these sessions, but I will be out of the state, March 20-26.

As long as I have enough advance notice, I should be able to make one in April.

Good listening,
Steve

Carlman

Next meeting
« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2004, 04:00 pm »
Sounds like April's going to make the most sense.

Someone take the ball and run with it!  Whoever wants to host it should organize the details soon.

-Carl

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Next Meeting - Saturday April 24th...
« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2004, 07:29 pm »
Everyone,

I'm going to take the ball here.  Next meeting will be at my place.

Meeting date will be Saturday, April 24
Time: 10AM until everyone leaves :)

I'm open to making this a two day event.  So everyone can come over Saturday.  Those that can't make it Saturday, we'll continue on Sunday afternoon.  Thoughts?

Equipment on hand for listening:

Speakers:
Von Schweikert VR-4jr, VR-2, VR-1, LCR-15, TS-150,  VR-S/1
Usher Audio X-719 (and probably more models by the time the meet rolls around)
Phase Technology **models to be determined... I'm ordering this week...

Sources:
Adcom GDV-850 DVD-Audio player
Opera Audio SACD 2.0 SACD stereo player
other cheap DVD transports

Processors:
Bel Canto PrePro
Adcom GTP-860II

Amplifiers:
Bel Canto Evo6 GenII
Bel Canto Evo2i
Opera Audio A-120 tube hybrid integrated
Carver ZR1600
** others TBD between now and then....

Video Sources:
Optoma H30
InFocus Screenplay 5700

Focus of meeting:  Well, beside the opportunity to just listen to all the various gear I have been acquiring, I think it would be a good opportunity to listen to redbook vs. SACD vs. DVD-A and hear everyone's opinions.

For people who haven't seen front projection in action, it's also an opportunity to see how a big screen is possible in a small space and how it adds to the experience.

I've got two listening/viewing rooms, but they aren't terribly well insulated from one another.  But it should provide the opportunity to have a couple things going on at once and allow more people to listen at the same time.  A change I am in the middle of making in my main room will also allow more people to listen in the sweet spot by permitting multiple rows of listeners.

Please let me know if this is a good weekend and please indicate whether or not you can attend this date so I can get an idea of numbers.  Thanks!

I'm also going to post a seperate message about anyone who would like to audition the VSA db-99 speakers.  Please respond to that as well.  

Take care.  I hope all is well with everyone...

Hantra

Next meeting
« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2004, 09:15 pm »
I think it would be a good opportunity to listen to redbook vs. SACD vs. DVD-A and hear everyone's opinions.

That would be cool.  I haven't spent a lot of time with DVD-A.  I really wish they would have released Pet Sounds on SACD as well as DVD-A, but it looks like the "format-war" will decide what's best for itself, and not consumers.

Carlman

Next meeting
« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2004, 10:36 pm »
I think the theme is pretty cool... I've only listened for the difference once and it wasn't enough to make me care.  However, it was on a poorly setup system.  Good gear but, terrible setup.  So, I'd be interested to hear it on something that defines the differences better.

I can drool over that BC gear a bit more as well... ;)

-C

sheadlee

Next meeting
« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2004, 02:18 pm »
I should be able to make this one. I can close Saturday at noon, and be there around 1:30PM.

I just need either an address, or directions...I'll be coming from Asheboro.

I look forward to meeting some of you.

Happy listening,
Steve

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
Next meeting
« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2004, 11:13 am »
Shane,
Yes, I am in for Saturday (tho I have to go back out of town on Sunday).  It would be interesting to have the same titles if at all possible on redbook, SACD, and DVDA (tho we are probably lucky to get 2 of 3).  You don't have a vinyl rig, do you?

I expect we are most shy of DVDA, and then SACD, recordings - so if folks would post/bring some of those, maybe some of us have a corresponding redbook issue?  Claud (if he's coming) or I may have the big black shiny disc version  :wink:  if you have anything on which to spin it.  Conversely, I will have my modded universal player by then, and will be buying some SACD and DVDA material myself, but I'm not sure what.

Sure, I'd love to hear the dB99's, tho I don't have any flea amps to bring.  Funny, I was just reading up on a bunch of single driver hi-eff speakers yesterday, and was thinking I'd like to try some (not that these are those, of course) along with SET's.  BTW, how 'pricey' is 'pricey'?

Carlman

Next meeting
« Reply #16 on: 16 Mar 2004, 05:46 pm »
I'd like to hear how the Scott Nixon monoblock's sound on the db99's.  Anyone object to giving a little time to try this combo?  I have a friend that would loan them to me if so.

-C

Hantra

Next meeting
« Reply #17 on: 16 Mar 2004, 06:40 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
I'd like to hear how the Scott Nixon monoblock's sound on the db99's.  Anyone object to giving a little time to try this combo?  I have a friend that would loan them to me if so.

-C

C:

Does your friend have the 40W version?  There is a 20W as well, but I am not sure what the sonic differences are.  I heard the 20W version on Scott's Hedlunds, and it sounded about like my 40W blocks.

L8z,

B

Carlman

Next meeting
« Reply #18 on: 16 Mar 2004, 07:16 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
C:
Does your friend have the 40W version?

Yes, I think you'd be VERY familiar with them. ;)

-C

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Next meeting
« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2004, 02:48 pm »
Quote from: Inscrutable
Shane,
Yes, I am in for Saturday (tho I have to go back out of town on Sunday).  It would be interesting to have the same titles if at all possible on redbook, SACD, and DVDA (tho we are probably lucky to get 2 of 3).  You don't have a vinyl rig, do you?

I expect we are most shy of DVDA, and then SACD, recordings - so if folks would post/bring some of those, maybe some of us have a corresponding redbook issue?  Claud (if he's coming) or I may have the big black shiny disc version  :wink:  if you have an ...

I actually went out and purchased a bunch of SACDs after bringing in the Opera piece to try out the differences myself.  I don't know how good a redbook player the opera is.... but there is most definitely a difference between regular redbook and SACD.  I'll let you guys decide how much and whether it's a good thing or not....

I have the Mobile Fidelity release of Dark Side of the Moon.  I almost bought the SACD to try it out.   Is Norah Jones on DVD-A?  The SACD is very good.....

The Db-99 speakers are $9995.00 a pair....  so yeah.... they most definitely are NOT cheap....  Do you want the Db-99 demo to coincide with the meeting?  I've already got quite a bit of stuff to listen to and I don't know if the rep can make it on a weekend... But I'm open to whatever you guys would like to do.... let  me know...

Shane