Amplifier for Desktop System

Don_S

Amplifier for Desktop System
« on: 11 Aug 2021, 09:07 pm »
I currently have a small PSB 2.1 system designed for computer desktop use. I am considering replacing it with a pair of PSB Imagine Minis I do not have any other use for since I moved. I would appreciate recommendations for a small, cool-running amplifier to use.

My monitor is a Samsung TV so I can use it for volume control. The Minis are only 85dB so they appreciate some power. But for a desktop I won't be blasting them.

Anybody familiar with Fosi Audio on Amazon? I am willing to spend more. These just caught my eye. Having a subwoofer out is useful because I think I can use my existing sub.

Budget? Cheap but cheerful.

RDavidson

Re: Amplifier for Desktop System
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2021, 03:21 am »
Get a NAD D3045. It sounds great (surprisingly so) and is very versatile. Has HDMI with ARC so you can likely use your TV to control the volume. Has a subwoofer output with crossover too...which makes its 60wpc go A LOT further than seems possible. Can be found used for around $500. Hard to beat.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2021, 11:12 am »
Never heard it but a the PS Audio Sprout might be worth a C&C look. I think it fits the price criteria because it has a phono stage and built in DAC and Bluetooth.

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2021, 03:15 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations. Both would work but have many features (DAC, BT, phono stage) I do not need. I would prefer something with fewer features and a lower cost. But both recommendations are pretty slick packages and brands I recognize.  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2021, 03:24 pm »
Temple Audio Bantom Gold Amplifier (I own their 70 watt mono-blocks).  25 wpc, class D, well designed/built, small (4.7"x5.1"x1.6"), $277 plus shipping (without volume control).

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2021, 03:54 pm »
Fosi, Lavaudio, HifiStereo, and the 100 other Chinese brands on Amazon are a complete toss up in my experience... could be anywhere from great to self destructing.  My guess is they're all using some kind of class D amp.  Then there's the weird tube stuff... Like tubes I've never seen...

For <$100 it might be worth a shot.  Just unplug it when you're not home.  I don't know what testing or safety standards have been employed with these companies.

jdshammer

« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2021, 04:54 pm »
Find a second hand Parasound Zamp or EMOTIVA BASX A100 or Emotiva mini-X a-100.  Both reputable brands.  These models have a small footprint great for desktop applications and enough power for nearfield listening.

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2021, 05:08 pm »
Carlman,

Those Chinese-made amps have many good ratings on Amazon. Still, I worry about unknown names and the low price. My budget is bigger than that but not as big as a fully appointed integrated.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2021, 05:26 pm »
I currently have a small PSB 2.1 system designed for computer desktop use. I am considering replacing it with a pair of PSB Imagine Minis I do not have any other use for since I moved. I would appreciate recommendations for a small, cool-running amplifier to use.

My monitor is a Samsung TV so I can use it for volume control. The Minis are only 85dB so they appreciate some power. But for a desktop I won't be blasting them.

Anybody familiar with Fosi Audio on Amazon? I am willing to spend more. These just caught my eye. Having a subwoofer out is useful because I think I can use my existing sub.

Budget? Cheap but cheerful.

The Fosi amplifier is quite cheap but seems like a reasonable piece of gear for a low budget.  Check the return policy, order it and return it if you don't like it.  For that price, it's obviously not going to sound as good as other amplifiers but if it works for you then that's all that matters.

Don_S

Carlman

« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2021, 06:03 pm »
I personally would trust the Dayton over the stuff on Amazon... even with all the reviews... because I also don't trust Amazon reviews at all.  I think 1 in 10 are real... I mean, how many people are really buying and reviewing tiny little amps like this?  What's the demand?  Especially some of them that have a 100+ reviews and they've only been selling them a few weeks.  Something doesn't smell right to me on Amazon.. and I don't have a specific case that I can argue... and I don't mean to pick on Fosi.  I'm just gun shy after trusting reviews and buying junk.. only to find that company is no longer on Amazon.. or the product is gone.

Then I have other experiences like 'SoundPeats' that ended up being great... or Aoimas and other 'brands' I've bought that were quite good for the money.  As long as you can return it, you should get a better feel for what you've actually got... And if you like it and want another one a year from now, don't expect it to be there... but if it is, great!

My best experience has been with "1MORE" quad IEM's.  I took a chance at $120 and loved them... Then decided I needed another pair a year later... just because I didn't want to lose them and got a pair for $100.  Now I have 2 pairs of IEM's that are far superior to most things I've tried.  So, you never know.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2021, 01:14 am »
Available at Amazon and Parts Express. Should I trust PE to be more selective for quality in what they carry?

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-DTA-2.1BT2-100W-2.1-Class-D-Bluetooth-Amplifier-with-Sub-Frequency-Adjustment-300-3831?gclid=CjwKCAjwjdOIBhA_EiwAHz8xmz7c9fZrKtEAE8zRA_ikCw5OIY_4Yd8_S5J7fjwM7IK_Lp0dVTqRBhoC1EYQAvD_BwE

I would definitely trust the Dayton stuff over Amazon.  Parts Express always backs their stuff and they make great products.

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #12 on: 15 Aug 2021, 03:25 pm »
Check out the YouTube channel CheapAudioMan. He’s reviewed several great options for compact C&C desktop amps. Many that are much cheaper (and reportedly better sounding) than the PS Audio Sprout

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqlrFD7YXIRZxK8atPEyaYHjgudwNb3ua

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2021, 01:40 am »
This Parasound is interesting but currently out of stock at two places I trust. I am not in a hurry. I am still debating the wisdom of increasing the size of my speakers and adding an amp to my cluttered desk.

https://parasound.com/zamp-v3.php

I can run a self-powered subwoofer from the loop out.  :thumb: From the owner's manual.

"Loop Jacks
The L and R Loop jacks are convenient output connections for an additional power amplifier. These jacks eliminate the need for “Y” connectors to drive both your Zamp v.3 and another amplifier from the same source."
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2021, 04:18 pm by Don_S »

DannyBadorine

« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2021, 09:28 pm »
This Parasound is interesting but currently out of stock at two places I trust. I am not in a hurry. I am still debating the wisdom of increasing the size of my speakers and adding an amp to my cluttered desk.

https://parasound.com/zamp-v3.php

I can run a self-powered subwoofer from the loop out.  :thumb: From the owner's manual.

"Loop Jacks
The L and R Loop jacks are convenient output connections for an additional power amplifier. These jacks eliminate the need for “Y” connectors to drive both your Zamp v.3 and another amplifier from the same source."

I own 2 of the Parasound Zamp V3 amplifiers and they are awesome.  They're definitely a huge step up from everything else you've contemplated getting.  I got mine used off of bay for around $165 each.  They power my bi-amped living room TV speakers.  They have plenty of power and they sound great for the price.

Don_S

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2021, 09:44 pm »
Danny,

Thanks for the feedback and recommendation. I have placed a pre-order with Crutchfield. No information on the estimated time for orders to be filled. Hopefully it is not due to the parts shortage plaguing the industry.

BobM

« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2021, 11:17 pm »
There are so many small digital amps sold everywhere that are perfect for a computer desktop system, I use one from SMSL available on Amazon for a pittance and totally perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-SA-36A-TPA3118D2-Amplifier-Black/dp/B017W13OR0/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sa-36a&qid=1629674162&sr=8-2

newzooreview

« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2021, 11:30 pm »
Same here. For a desktop system, I got an Aiyima A07, which uses a Texas Instruments Class D amp.

For $80 it's terrific at 300W it works well for small, inefficient speakers.

Audio Science Review and Cheap Audio Man have both given it very positive reviews. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aiyima+a07