Win 7 installation problem

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Win 7 installation problem
« on: 29 Oct 2009, 06:50 am »
What a pain - not Windows 7, but installing Windows 7 on my 2 year old system, which has been my workhorse system. My other install on my quad core machine went swimmingly.

The problem seems to be nVidia. I get the feeling that they did not work very hard on drivers/ did not work with Microsoft for Win7.

I have a pretty wimpy motherboard which I bought as part of a "budget box" build 2 years ago. It is an ASUS M2NPV-MV and on paper it looks pretty good. The problem has been the need to troubleshoot this motherboard several times over the past 2 years - video drivers, Maxtor drives, nVidea 8800 card, etc.

The install attempts over the past 3 nights have resulted in bluescreens for nVidia driver nvlddmkm .sys, lockups again and again in the midle of the install process. Usually the system would lock up at the "expanding Windows files" stage - it would just hand at different % complete. I ended up disabling everything on the board - Network card, audio, even USB, I also dragged out an old 19" CRT. These attempted work-arounds were all based on different posts I read on the internet.

FINALLY tonight after taking all the steps above, it made it through expanding all the files and completed all the steps of the install. I am currently doing all updates I can find.

I notice that the USB mouse is having jitter problems though - I will have to pursue this as I have read some posts o this issue.

Anyone else had problems installing Win 7?

GHM

Re: Win 7 installation problem
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2009, 02:50 pm »
I use the 8800 card on my main HTPC. Windows 7 installed without a hitch. Now on one of the older PCs used in the kids room (probably 9 yrs old). I had a tougher time getting it to install. It finally loaded up after a couple of install errors.

Now I'm puzzled by the Nvidia issue you're having. Everything I've seen has led me to believe they work hand in hand with MS. For example, the hardware acceleration (DVXA) they have implemented into their cards used by Win 7s new codecs. I went from using 8 to 12% CPU usage playing Hi-Def(Blu rays from hard drive) off the PC down to zero CPU usage. They just released new drivers for the 8800 not quite a month ago.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2009, 04:07 pm »
I use the 8800 card on my main HTPC. Windows 7 installed without a hitch. Now on one of the older PCs used in the kids room (probably 9 yrs old). I had a tougher time getting it to install. It finally loaded up after a couple of install errors.

You're installing this on a 9 year old PC?  I can't get the video card drivers for my PC, which is less than two years old.  I would think that something that's 9 years old wouldn't have the drivers.

GHM

« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2009, 04:44 pm »

You're installing this on a 9 year old PC?  I can't get the video card drivers for my PC, which is less than two years old.  I would think that something that's 9 years old wouldn't have the drivers.

I installed Win7 Ultimate RTM successfully on the 9 yr old PC. I went to the PC's manufacture's website. They had the drivers for it. It did require some digging.