How To Get S/PDIF Out Of A Computer?

richidoo

Re: How To Get S/PDIF Out Of A Computer?
« Reply #20 on: 16 Oct 2009, 12:00 am »
Thanks Jon!

Steve, I want to use PC based digital crossover, and audiophile quality DACs. With the Sabre DAC jitter is not an issue so junk spdif wire is good enough, that will be much cheaper than my favorite analog cables. 1 Sabre32 DAC has 8 channels of DAC onboard, but I would use the Buffalo implementation to avoid the work involved in making a custom DAC circuit with 8 channels of analog output and software required to run the chip. The Buffalo is a great bargain for the performance level.

M-Audio is a good brand. Check out computeraudiophile.com for ideas on quality computer soundcards.  There is a thread on the Cheapo circle about this, but USB only.   A Presonus FireBox is for sale on AC <$200. It is a great DAC, I have used the 10 ch version.  Much better than stock Logitech or Sonos sound quality.  It also has SPDIF output.
Rich

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #21 on: 16 Oct 2009, 04:55 am »
James,

I'm not really sure what you are trying to do.

The DUET will take a signal from your computer and output SP/DIF. You will have to run SqueezeServer on your computer to use the DUET.

With this system your computer does not need to be in the same room.

You can also use a laptop or desktop with a USB converter to get SP/DIF out of the computer. It that case the computer will have to be near you system and it's switching power supplies may cause EMI that your system can pick up. You would still need to run some music player program on your computer to listen to your files.

There are many options at many price points to do these things. Are you looking for improved sound quality, ease of operation, minimal amount of gear or ?

Wayne,

I guess I am trying to possibly simplify the system and maybe use a different interface than the Squeezecenter software/Duet controller.  I am looking for something a little faster. I realize that I will be running something like Foobar or Itunes/IPeng and using an Ipod Touch as a remote control. 

Mainly, I have my house wired extensively with CAT5.  My living room, which is where my two channels system resides, has 4 CAT5's running into it.  All the rooms in the house have (2) CAT5's and (1) 4/22.  This is so that if I want to I can run HDMI over CAT5 through a Balun.  This was suggested to me by a good friend that does high end home theater and whole house wiring.  These all terminate in a mechanical room where I hope to place my computer/hard drive.   Currently, I can run from this room to the Duet (CAT5) and then use the S/PDIF out into my modified Behringer. 

You are right that if I go a different route I will have to have the computer in the room.  This would not be ideal unless I used something like the Mac Mini since it is small and unobtrusive.  Many rooms at RMAF were using the Mac Mini. Of course I would then have to have a device to convert from USB/Firewire into S/PDIF.  Maybe I am not going to loose these extra devices since my current system requires digital PCM in. 

I have this thought process that the audio world will begin to change to be more digital/computer based.  I hope one day to be able to do all the room correction/crossover/dsp within the computer then amplify a digital signal.     

James

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #22 on: 16 Oct 2009, 05:02 am »
Isn't the speaker plug on a laptop a compromise as well?

The "speaker plug" on the Mac Mini, MacBook, Airport Express and ~50% of the PC laptops available, is a combination headphone and optical jack.  It has an optical digital transmitter built into the jack, and you would connect to it with a cable that has a "Mini-Toslink" connector one end and a standard Toslink optical connector on the other end.

As both the Toslink optical and coaxial digital both use the S/PDIF format, when you say your receiver requires S/PDIF, I'm not sure if you mean it has both types of inputs or just one of them.

As far as quality, most would rate the coaxial S/PDIF better than the optical connection.  And you can get a coaxial digital output out of a converter connected to either a USB or Firewire port.

I use the optical digital out from the Airport Express in my bedroom system, but that is less critical listening than my main system.

Steve

Steve,

I was not aware that the headphone jack output digital.  I assumed that it was analog.  Either way, I may not be interested in this if it does have all the inherent jitter.  I would opt at that time to use firewire.  My unit will accept Toslink or co-ax but I will always shoot for the co-ax. 

Thanks,

James

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #23 on: 16 Oct 2009, 05:11 am »
JonL, if you don't use the Lynx breakout cables, did you make your own? How do you get the signal out of the D connector? I want to get several stereo digital streams out of the PC for active amping. I was looking at the Lynx AES16 into 2 Buffalo DACs per speaker.  aa  The Lynx is the only thing I found that can do it well, short of $1000.  I think the streams need to be timed identically, so multiple sound cards wouldn't work.

cloudbaseracer, the sound may vary among your solutions due to jitter. Each different sound card and connection interface and cable makes its own contribution to the overall jitter. Likely your receiver doesn't do anything to remove jitter, so you can probably hear the differences. For consumer gear, more expensive doesn't always mean better. 

Your lowest jitter solution might be a good firewire or USB DAC connected via analog into the receiver. Or just don't worry about the jitter and connect your laptop spdif to the Receiver and have fun. That's what I would try first, see how good it is compared to what you're used to.

There is no black box ethernet to SPDIF adapter that I have ever seen. It would need a microprocessor running application to convert network packets into audio stream. Squeezebox/Duet/Sonos and others of that ilk do what you're looking for, replacing the PC as the controller. But SB/Duet still needs the PC as server.

Maybe a PCMCIA (aka PC Card) soundcard with SDIF out might give you a nice stream with a good clock. Soundblaster, etc.
Rich

Rich,

My receiver is well regarded to sound excellent when it has a digital input.  I would never think of running it analog.  That is the reason I am looking to avoid any "DAC" situation. If I went that route I would be defeating the purpose of my current amps.

I did find this - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/442448-REG/Gefen_EXT_DIGAUD_141_Digital_Audio_Extender_S_PDIF.html

Probably no real benefit to this device over the Squeezbox Duet.  Maybe it sounds better or maybe worse.  I do wonder how to cost effectively control the jitter/clock of the digital signal since I don't have a dac that does any re-clocking.  Wayne may know if the Panasonic handles jitter in any special way.

James

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #24 on: 16 Oct 2009, 05:21 am »
Lots of ways to accomplish this.  This looks like a new, and very interesting solution if you're ok with Foobar-only at this point:

http://www.m2tech.biz/

I'm using an EMU-0404 USB and it works well and is capable of 24/192.  Less than $200, easy...

-Jim

Jim,

That thing looks pretty cool.  Thanks for the link.

James

richidoo

« Reply #25 on: 16 Oct 2009, 01:55 pm »
The geffen thing is just an extender, it is not an ethernet to SPDIF converter. You must use both ends at the same time for it to work, so it's more like a 500foot SPDIF cable. Just one end connected to a ethernet switch wouldn't work.

There are a lot of USB/SPDIF gadgets. Some of them will sound pretty good, but you're still on USB. Killing jitter in the SPDIF line calls for pace car. Or Off Ramp for less money, USB to SPDIF conversion with jitter removal. $700  http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/off-ramp-converter

Definitely try it direct first if you can find a suitable cable to connect to your laptop.  Have fun!

roscoeiii

« Reply #26 on: 25 Oct 2009, 11:39 pm »
Aha! a $44 dollar option for USB to S/PDIF conversion. It will output both coax and optical. From TUbe Audio Design (http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/PreDAC.html):

Computer Digital Audio USB Port Adapter: The SPIFFY is a Plug & Play TAD custom modified cost effective no compromise Burr Brown chip USB to SPDIF adapter. Computer USB port powered. Windows PC and Mac compatible, plug & play, this USB streaming audio data converter offers true bit for bit jitter free performance. The best computer-USB to PreDAC interface device. This is a Behringer U-Control interface that is TAD reengineered for audiophile data use (stock design does not have RCA coax data output). The TAD modified version has SPDIF RCA Coax and Optical Output (use one, not both at the same time). The internal DAC is not used for conversion, USB data in = bit for bit SPDIF data out. Streaming internet music like Rhapsody.com or iTunes sounds better than CDs using the SPIFFY to connect PC to PreDAC. The SPIFFY USB adapter is the best way to connect Mac or PC streaming audio data to the PreDAC using RCA coax or toslink optical cable.