Today was supposed to be a great day

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Re: Today was supposed to be a great day
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jul 2009, 04:55 pm »
UPS shipping policies on insurance leave a lot to be desired. I sold a Music Hall turntable to a fellow and shipped it from a nearby Office Depot, which had a UPS counter. During shipping a rod from another package puncture my box and damaged the cover on the turntable. Following UPS guidelines, I had the buyer notify UPS so they could return the turntable to me for the claim.

The damage was not severe, but the turntable was no longer in as-new condition. At the time UPS did not repair electronics. Instead they would offer to settle for the replacement value and then destroy the item (to discourage fraud apparently).

During the filing process, I learned that the claim had to be submitted by Office Depot. According to UPS, they were the shipment "owner" and I could not submit a claim independently. If the claim was approved, they would pay Office Depot and the local store manager would be responsible for sending me a check.

Luckily for me, the local manager was a decent guy and cooperated fully during this hassle fest. In the end I received a check, the slightly damaged turntable went to a recycler, and the fellow who made the original purchase received his purchase price back (but no turntable).

If you're lucky, FedEx will be easier to deal with.

Steve

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #21 on: 7 Jul 2009, 06:12 pm »
Floresjc - I've been in your shoes and can sympathize,
thankfully in due time all can be healed

i bought my HT3's with full wood front baffle from someone on audiogon
several years ago. The original owner sold them to a guy who thought they were too bright (it was his system). I was in contact with Jim who wanted to hear them before having them sent to me, to make sure nothing was wrong with them. They sounded fine, all checked out and Jim shipped them to me. When they arrived here in New Orleans, the left speaker had a 1" dent in it from DHS (who Jim usually uses)

I cringed and lived with them for 5 months and lined up having jim work on them when I went up to visit my family in Michigan. The speaker rode blanketed in the back seat of my car. Jim gave my woodworking friend Todd and I a nice tour of his shop and had a week to fix the speaker. Unless you knew where the damage had occured (upper left front) you would never spot Jim's incredible woodwork repair. Just fabulous. I then drove my speaker home and it's been audio bliss ever since.

I knew then that if a manufacturer cares that much about his product even when you didn't buy from him directly - he definitely stands fully behind it.
I've been sold on Jim's fabulous work and great customer support

Rest assured, break in your speakers and plan a trip to see Jim
All will turn out well in the end

floresjc

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jul 2009, 08:22 am »
Well, after much stress and a little fury, the HT3's are on their way. I believe they are stopping for inspection at FedEx before being moved onto Jim. Hopefully this begins the recovery phase.

Nuance

« Reply #23 on: 11 Jul 2009, 05:52 pm »
Woohoo - great news buddy.  Soon you'll be having a double dose of Salk goodness.  :)