SongTowers with Pioneer Elite

Harmonics

SongTowers with Pioneer Elite
« on: 23 Mar 2009, 03:47 am »
I heard some SongTowers this weekend (Thanks, Doug/bahorn1!) and thought they sounded great.  I am interested in ordering a pair but I want to make sure my receiver can power them sufficiently to bring out their full range of sound.  Has anyone tried using a Pioneer Elite receiver, like the SC-05, with SongTower QWT speakers?  How do they match up?  Would the SC-05 provide enough power?

Thanks!

BoB/335

Re: SongTowers with Pioneer Elite
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2009, 08:33 am »
It was suggested to me (and thankfully so) to bring along my receiver when I auditioned a pair of Song Towers so that I could hear how they sound with my gear. I'm glad I did.

Anyway, I have a Denon 2309 which is 100 watts per channel X 7 (although I now hear that it's actually less than that if I use 7 channels. I thought the ST's sounded great with my receiver in 2 channel stereo.

Hope that helps.

Harmonics

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2009, 02:08 pm »
Thanks, that does help.  Have you tried running the SongTowers together with a SongCenter, SongSurrounds, and a subwoofer (i.e. in 5.1 for home theater) with your Denon 2309? 

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2009, 03:22 pm »
Harmonics -

The SC-05 is rated at 130 watts per channel and should have absolutely no problem driving SongSeries speakers.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2009, 03:27 pm »
Harmonics -

The SC-05 is rated at 130 watts per channel and should have absolutely no problem driving SongSeries speakers.

- Jim
+1.  I am currently running them with 130 watts as well, and they scream without compression or distortion, even at 100dB.

BoB/335

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2009, 10:11 pm »
Thanks, that does help.  Have you tried running the SongTowers together with a SongCenter, SongSurrounds, and a subwoofer (i.e. in 5.1 for home theater) with your Denon 2309? 

Only tried 2 channel stereo. I hope a center will work well ( and maybe even surrounds)as I am stuck with this receiver for a while and it doesn't have pre-outs.

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2009, 10:41 pm »
BoB/335

Only tried 2 channel stereo. I hope a center will work well ( and maybe even surrounds)as I am stuck with this receiver for a while and it doesn't have pre-outs.

You should have no problems at all.  The SongSeries speakers are very easy to drive with just about any receiver on the market today.

- Jim

sfox7076

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2009, 11:16 pm »
Not to highjack, but what is the sensitivity of the SongTowers (both RTs and QWTs)?  I ask only because I have not seen the number published.

Shawn

bahorn1

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2009, 11:52 pm »
I heard some SongTowers this weekend (Thanks, Doug/bahorn1!) and thought they sounded great.  I am interested in ordering a pair ...

That's great Harmonics!  I was trying not to influence you but rather let you concentrate on and enjoy the listening experience.

--Doug

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2009, 12:11 am »
Not to highjack, but what is the sensitivity of the SongTowers (both RTs and QWTs)?  I ask only because I have not seen the number published.

Shawn
I do believe it's 88dB

BoB/335

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2009, 02:20 am »
And I heard no noticeable difference in output from the Axiom M80's that claim 91 or 95 dB (whichever of their numbers you want to go by.) in a side by side with the ST's.