Thank Dodd, the HT3s are winning praise!!!

ChuckS

Thank Dodd, the HT3s are winning praise!!!
« on: 15 Mar 2009, 01:43 pm »
Well, I replaced my ARC LS25 with Gary Dodd's battery preamp, and whoa nelly!!!
To say that the Dodd pre is a bargain is a ridiculous understatement.
To say my system sounds incredible is insufficient.
Once again, I maintain the the HT3 is an amazing speaker, as neutral as it gets, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!
The Dodd is mated to a Bryston 4BSST - this is the fifth preamp I've tried with this amp - and wow!!! I thought the amp was a log, but not anymore!
Here's the story - the Dodd is VERY revealing of tube changes, and I have a pair of NOS Siemens in there now. MY wife!!!!!! walked by the speakers the other night while they were singing, and she started singing too. She said, and I kid you not, "THIS SOUNDS WONDERFUL". She does not care for my "hobby" in the least. My son came home from college on break and we had music playing with dinner. He turned up the volume - the wife said no - and he looked at her and said, "this sounds REALLY GREAT, I've never heard this disc sound SO GOOD". My son thinks my "hobby" is ridiculous, BTW.
 So two nonbelievers think everything sounds great - and they are right! These were totally unsolicited comments, BTW. I didn't ask them what they thought - these remarks came from their casual observations, and I was floored (but tried really hard not to show it!).
 So I have this to say - the HT3 can sound like ANYTHING. I was having doubts about their imaging - but the Dodd shows them to be positively holographic. If you think the bass is too lean or too boomy - look upstream. If the highs are rolled or too harsh - look upstream.
I think I have a "world class system" right now -
SimAudio Supernova CDP
Dodd battery pre
Bryston 4BssT
Salk HT3
I don't (honestly) know if I've ever heard better, and I think the room is the limiting factor now. Gotta go now, my Salks are singing and I need to listen.

ardee

Re: Thank Dodd, the HT3s are winning praise!!!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2009, 02:06 pm »
Oh great.   Just as I finally get the Dodd out of my head this pops up.    Your are killing me.    My wife will not be happy about this.
Can't get it out of my head, out out out............

Congrats on the new Dodd and results.    I do not have my HT3s yet but its always good to hear another owner is happy.   But did it have to be with a Dodd!  There I go again. 

Seriously, I could not be happier for you.  Especially it being with that pre.  The wait is excruciating but these posts definitely help.

Robert

Philistine

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2009, 02:33 pm »
Great news Chuck, looks like the Dodd nailed it for you without having to go down the tubed integrated or tube amp routes.

You're smarter than most of us by locking in your sound/system and staying off the forums, so guess you no longer have any interest in listening to the Modwright KWA150 when it arrives :P

ChuckS

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2009, 02:38 pm »
Phil- isn't that amp made of unobtainium?  :deadhorse:

Next up - "playing with tube amps".
I'll be back.

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2009, 02:48 pm »
Don't want to derail the thread Chuck, I'll let you know how the MW amp works out and when it arrives - this will be relevant as a number of HT3 owners are curious as to how the combination performs.

I had my current amp significantly modified and the HT3's were revealing of the upgrade, just makes me appreciate how good and how much upgrade longevity the HT3's have. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2009, 03:12 pm »
About 3 years ago, Gary brought the prototype battery pre over and put it in my system.  It was definitely a Wow! moment and I knew I had to have one.  Great detail, great imaging.  I've had mine for 1 1/2 years now, and I won't be looking for a replacement for a loooong time.  However, it is time to replace the batteries. They are only holding for about 3 hours, whereas originally they would go for about 12.

ChuckS

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2009, 03:32 pm »
You can of course buy batteries from Gary, he makes sure they are fresh. However, these batteries are readily available - they are used as back ups for security systems and emergency lighting. :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2009, 04:55 pm »
woohoo - that's great news, ChuckS!  Enjoy that amazing system!

carusoracer

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2009, 10:35 pm »
 :duh:m Same thing here. I was just about to stop thinking about the Dodd Pre Show us some pics and which Siemens tube did you go with?

OTH, really interested in hearing the MWA as well, out my price range.

Any of you guys near Central OH?

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2009, 12:34 am »
Chuck

congrats on the new pre amp

and yes, the salk's will sing with a great component up the chain

I replaced an ARC LS5 MKII
Dodd and Moscode amp
great combo
no electrical grid issues with the dodd

I'm looking at the Doshi preamp in the future
the dodd certainly is great sounding and reasonably priced
(audiogon has them listed all the time)

Tom

DLock22

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2009, 01:40 am »
Has anyone done any tube rolling with their Dodd?  ChuckS. are you using the stock JJ tubes? My system consists of the Dodd preamp, Quad 909 amp, Prima Luna Prologue 8 CD Player, Reality Cables IC's and speaker cables... and next week, I should receive my Salk Song Towers RT!  The countdown is on!