Why ST RT and not HT2?

rahimlee54

Why ST RT and not HT2?
« on: 7 Feb 2009, 11:58 pm »
I was checking out the salksound website and I thought I read somewhere that the ST RT uses the same tweeter as the HT2s, I know the HT2s are a good amount of money more but I was wondering why more people didnt go for the HT2s as opposed to the STRT.

The best I can come up with is that the 5.0 system becomes costly if you stay in the family.  I am going to demo some ST regulars and if that is the way I go I may think about getting the HT2s if I feel it is worth the upgrade.

Thanks
Rahimlee54

Rocket

Re: Why ST RT and not HT2?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2009, 12:20 am »
Hi,

I don't really know the answer to your questions, perhaps cost consideration may be the overiding factor.

I tried to start a Veracity HT2 of the month thread and there was little interest.  A lot of sales seem to be either songtower or HT3's.

I've had ht2 speakers since July last year and they are a level better than my nuforce s9 speakers that retail for $5500US.

Regards

Rod

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2009, 01:30 am »
I was checking out the salksound website and I thought I read somewhere that the ST RT uses the same tweeter as the HT2s, I know the HT2s are a good amount of money more but I was wondering why more people didnt go for the HT2s as opposed to the STRT.

The best I can come up with is that the 5.0 system becomes costly if you stay in the family.  I am going to demo some ST regulars and if that is the way I go I may think about getting the HT2s if I feel it is worth the upgrade.

Well, the HT2's "are a good amount of money more."  And when you start piling on the $$, I suspect a lot of people just go for the HT3's.  Unfortunately, I've never compared the STRT's with the HT2's, so I'm no help, as usual. 

TJHUB

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2009, 02:52 am »
This is my first post...  :)

I heard a pair of ST RT's and they were by far the best sounding speakers I've heard.  Not that this statement means much from me, but the ST RT's made me start to dislike my current speakers very much after just one listen.  Until that one listen, my current B&W 805S's were my favorite speaker (that I could afford).  Now I'm just suffering with them until my new Salk's show up...

Rocket:  You will be happy to know that I went for the HT2's.  After researching quite a bit, I was still very torn between the ST RT's and the HT2's.  Even Jim's quote to me was "I could be happy with either speaker."  However, there were 2 factors that drove me to spend the extra money on the HT2's.  First, I have a very large room.  It's about 6,500cF and even though I run a sub (SVS PB13-Ultra), I've always felt my speakers were too small.  I sit over 15' from my speakers and they have to play relatively loud to get to my desired listening levels.  I didn't want to push them too hard as I can start to hear the 6.5" woofer start to compress a bit around 80db or so (at my listening position).  This always made me want a dual woofer speaker to make up for the necessary volume.  Second was a call to Jim.  He told me that he was working on a new HT2 that would utilize a transmission line design cabinet like the ST's.  He also said he'd be making them from 1" thick MDF.  This all added up to be too much for me and I pulled the trigger on them.

So 2 weeks ago, I purchased a pair of HT2 TL's with the 1" thick cabinets in "smokey silver guitar finish on English fiddleback sycamore".  They'll be very dark as I wanted near black with some life to it.  I expect they will be absolutely beautiful (to me anyway). 

As far as the differences between the ST RT's and the HT2's, from everything I've read to date (a lot), the main difference is that the HT2's will dig a little deeper.  The midrange may be somewhat "better", but it would be too close and too subjective to quantify.  I was told by fellow forum members from another forum to just get the ST's and Jim Salk told me that 2 of his recent customers listened to both speakers and both picked the HT2's.  See how confusing this is?  I still don't know if I made the right choice...

On a bright note, I only have about 4-6 more weeks to wait for my Salk's...  The wait is really starting to kill me...   

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2009, 03:01 am »
For smaller rooms, the ST RT would reportedly have better bass control than the HT2 (non-TL version).

I initially intended to purchase the HT3, but my room is very small, and I decided that a QWT speaker would be better.  The HT2 TL had not been announced when I ordered my ST RT, but aside from the HT2's higher price, perhaps some ST RT owners thought that the ST RT would be more room-friendly than the HT2 (non-TL version).  The HT2 is about $1000.00 more than the ST RT. 

fsimms

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2009, 04:02 pm »
As far as the differences between the ST RT's and the HT2's, from everything I've read to date (a lot), the main difference is that the HT2's will dig a little deeper.  The midrange may be somewhat "better", but it would be too close and too subjective to quantify.  I was told by fellow forum members from another forum to just get the ST's and Jim Salk told me that 2 of his recent customers listened to both speakers and both picked the HT2's.  See how confusing this is?  I still don't know if I made the right choice...

I think you made the right choice.  I listened to the SongTowers and the the HT1's in my own room and much prefer the HT1's.   Although if I had not listened to the HT1's, I would be delirious with the SongTowers.  As it is now, there are no words to describe how I love my HT1's.

Bob

PS My friend who let me borrow his SongTowers, thinks his speakers are "awesome" but still likes mine better.  He room is small and I don't think the HT1's would have worked well there.

bigbwb

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2009, 05:22 pm »
Terry,

I figured i meet see you in here :nono:

Congrats once again on your new order of HT2's!  I seen a picture of the finish you ordered, it was my favorite too!  I love the almost black look with the grey.  Brandon(nuance) brings his ST's over to my place next weekend for me to hear again.  I will put them up against the sierras again and see what I think.  I cant wait to hear yours someday!

Keep me informed!

Take care,

Brandon

This is my first post...  :)

I heard a pair of ST RT's and they were by far the best sounding speakers I've heard.  Not that this statement means much from me, but the ST RT's made me start to dislike my current speakers very much after just one listen.  Until that one listen, my current B&W 805S's were my favorite speaker (that I could afford).  Now I'm just suffering with them until my new Salk's show up...

Rocket:  You will be happy to know that I went for the HT2's.  After researching quite a bit, I was still very torn between the ST RT's and the HT2's.  Even Jim's quote to me was "I could be happy with either speaker."  However, there were 2 factors that drove me to spend the extra money on the HT2's.  First, I have a very large room.  It's about 6,500cF and even though I run a sub (SVS PB13-Ultra), I've always felt my speakers were too small.  I sit over 15' from my speakers and they have to play relatively loud to get to my desired listening levels.  I didn't want to push them too hard as I can start to hear the 6.5" woofer start to compress a bit around 80db or so (at my listening position).  This always made me want a dual woofer speaker to make up for the necessary volume.  Second was a call to Jim.  He told me that he was working on a new HT2 that would utilize a transmission line design cabinet like the ST's.  He also said he'd be making them from 1" thick MDF.  This all added up to be too much for me and I pulled the trigger on them.

So 2 weeks ago, I purchased a pair of HT2 TL's with the 1" thick cabinets in "smokey silver guitar finish on English fiddleback sycamore".  They'll be very dark as I wanted near black with some life to it.  I expect they will be absolutely beautiful (to me anyway). 

On a bright note, I only have about 4-6 more weeks to wait for my Salk's...  The wait is really starting to kill me...   

BrianM

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2009, 10:21 pm »
From what I've gathered the midrange drivers in the SongTowers are not quite as revealing as the Seas drivers used in the Salk Veracity speakers. The Seas Excel W18 driver is certainly a remarkable performer, and to my ears as neutral and tonally accurate as a driver can be.  It really does an outstanding job of reproducing what is fed to it.  It is a metal driver but it does not sound "metallic" - I believe that is just a reaction to its very high resolution demanding a lot from the associated gear and room.  It's very stiff and lightning fast. You might find another driver equally as good, but I doubt you'll find one much better. It's a top-of-the-line product, and really the heart and soul of why the HT3s (and, I'm sure, the HT2s and HT1s) sound so good -- along with, of course, the crossover, since a great driver is only as good as the skill with which it's integrated.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2009, 03:05 am »
Terry, post a picture of that smokey veneer please!  :)

Brandon, we'll have a good time dude.  I've got your music and I'm ready to cruise Sat. morning.   :rock:

bigbwb

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2009, 03:33 am »
nuance,

I am pumped to hear those devils in my setup :drool:  I will be curious to get your thoughts on how they sound in yet another listening environment.  Plus the proceed pre gets to take on the newly arrived parasound 2100 preamp for a spot in my system!  The loser goes up for sale!

Should be fun.

Side note, I made a stop at discount liquor and have plenty of Bells beer along with some Southern tier, Samuel Smiths, and Rogue :green:

Later,
Brandon

fluke242

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2009, 04:15 pm »
mmmm Rogue, you in the NW?  :thumb:

ps. I vote HT2

bigbwb

« Reply #11 on: 10 Feb 2009, 04:41 pm »
I am in WI.....near Milwaukee :D

fishinbob

« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2009, 05:24 pm »

Side note, I made a stop at discount liquor and have plenty of Bells beer along with some Southern tier, Samuel Smiths, and Rogue :green:

I find that this always helps when it comes to making the proper decisions.   :beer: :rotflmao:

bigbwb

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2009, 05:40 pm »
^^^^^^

Touche

fishinbob

« Reply #14 on: 10 Feb 2009, 05:55 pm »
^^^^^^

Touche

Kidding of course....

bigbwb

« Reply #15 on: 10 Feb 2009, 06:23 pm »
I wasnt :wink:

Listening to audio gear with a glass of beer is bliss!  You cant go wrong!

Cheers.
Brandon

Nuance

« Reply #16 on: 10 Feb 2009, 11:24 pm »
nuance,

I am pumped to hear those devils in my setup :drool:  I will be curious to get your thoughts on how they sound in yet another listening environment.  Plus the proceed pre gets to take on the newly arrived parasound 2100 preamp for a spot in my system!  The loser goes up for sale!

Should be fun.

Later,
Brandon
I too cannot wait to hear them in another environment.  Hmm...I should get a free pair of SongTowers to take around the country and demo!   :lol:

Bells?  Score!!   :thumb:

Gord_Toronto

« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2009, 01:03 am »
nuance,

Should be fun.

Later,
Brandon
I too cannot wait to hear them in another environment.  Hmm...I should get a free pair of SongTowers to take around the country and demo!   :lol:

Bells?  Score!!   :thumb:

Let me know when your "Demo Train" pull into the Station in Toronto :thumb:

BoB/335

« Reply #18 on: 19 Feb 2009, 01:46 pm »
Is there a review of this GTG?

Nuance

« Reply #19 on: 19 Feb 2009, 04:28 pm »
Oh yes...sorry for the lack of an update.  Brandon can get specific, but in short, he's already put down a deposit for a pair of black SongTower domes.   :thumb:

You can find info about the comparo in the Salk Owner's thread at AVS forum as well.