SqueezeCenter 7.4 beta listening

darthkringle

Re: SqueezeCenter 7.4 beta listening
« Reply #60 on: 1 Feb 2009, 11:06 pm »
So I am agreeing that this seems to be the best release since 7.1 and it sounds fantastic streaming my WAV files through the PCM decoder.  However, when I updated, I also updated the duet controller to the latest firmware and I do not have the "choose player" option anymore on my home menu.  I dug through advanced settings and enabled the audio through the controller, but the option to then choose the remote as the player is nowhere to be found??

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #61 on: 4 Feb 2009, 10:46 pm »
  I'm still using SlimServer Version: 6.2.1, with firmware 15.  I've stuck with this since I had my SB2 modded from Bolder.  Using the firmware 15 was always suggested because it didn't invert phase or something.  Should I still be hesitate to upgrade to the SqueezeCenter? 

Excellent question!  Does anyone know for sure?  It might explain why I like the sound better after inverting the phase in my DCX2496 (less bass, but also less shrill).  I thought it was my preamp or DAC inverting phase, but maybe it's the Duet.

Wayne1

« Reply #62 on: 4 Feb 2009, 11:04 pm »
The DUET does NOT invert phase. Modded or stock.

Firmware 15 inverted phase. All firmware since then did not.

An analog modded SB2 or 3 usually had the amplifier op-amp removed and the analog output taken directly from the analog output of the D/A chip. This would cause the analog output signal to be phase inverted from a stock SB2 or 3.

The DUET has the op-amp built into it's D/A chip. It doesn't get removed. It doesn't invert phase.

There is NO phase difference if you run digital output from any SB or any software.

The ability to use the controller as a player is still there. You do have to upgrade the controller software. You may have to "re-boot" the DUET and the controller to get everything updated.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #63 on: 4 Feb 2009, 11:13 pm »
BTW, Squeeze Center 7.4 continues to have the option to invert phase in the Transporter (only)...in the SC menu, under player settings -> audio.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #64 on: 5 Feb 2009, 12:25 am »
Wayne,
I didn't think it was the Duet, I thought the firmware might be the source, but that's not it either, which is good to know.

Jampot

« Reply #65 on: 5 Feb 2009, 02:18 pm »
Firmware 15 inverted phase. All firmware since then did not.

An analog modded SB2 or 3 usually had the amplifier op-amp removed and the analog output taken directly from the analog output of the D/A chip. This would cause the analog output signal to be phase inverted from a stock SB2 or 3

I'm in the same situation as Duff - still using Slim server and firmware 15 for my (Boulder) modded SB2. I have left well alone on the basis of the old adage 'if it aint broke - don't fix it'.

Sooo, is there merit in moving to Squeeze Centre and if so, what firmware is required to 'fix' the phase issue?

Sorry if I missed this somewhere.

Jim

NewBuyer

« Reply #66 on: 5 Feb 2009, 10:28 pm »
Can't help with the phase issue, but I can give a little feedback about SqueezeCenter 7.4 beta:

Personally I have been very surprised to hear real sonic improvements with this SC version.  However I can't explain how this should be possible, as I use S/PDIF out to my Benchmark DAC1 PRE, and after all it's just a software/firmware update...

Either way though, it's a nice (and noticeable) sonic improvement that didn't cost us anything!  :)

duff138

« Reply #67 on: 6 Feb 2009, 01:54 am »
BTW, Squeeze Center 7.4 continues to have the option to invert phase in the Transporter (only)...in the SC menu, under player settings -> audio.

Anyone know why this is just an option for the transporter?  Why not make it available for all units.

Wayne1

« Reply #68 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:11 am »
Anyone know why this is just an option for the transporter?  Why not make it available for all units.

The Transporter uses a different D/A chip. It is using the AKM chip that has balanced analog outputs. The Burr-Brown chip used in the SB2 and 3 and the Wolfson chip used in the DUET have single ended analog outputs. It is easier to switch polarity with balanced outputs.

There is not any up to date firmware that inverts phase for the SB2, 3 or DUET. You would have to change the polarity of your speaker cables, or run the low level signal through a transformer or active device such as a tube, transistor or op-amp that would invert the phase.

SqueezeCenter 7.4 DOES sound quite a bit better then the previous releases. It also has a LOT more features and usability then the earlier versions. I do suggest you give it a try. It is fairly easy to switch back.

hum4god

« Reply #69 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:12 am »
So first time poster but long time lurker and this thread caught my attention.  I have been very happy with the sound quality of 7.1 but want to move onto some of the better features.  I had heard that there were lots of issues and debates on SQ with 7.3, so I'd like to move to 7.4 to test.  With that said, me entire music collection is in either WAV or MP3.  What should the settings be for files that are native WAV?  I want to get the sound that is being described as the bit more "analog" sound as my room can be a bit bright and fatiguing for long listening sessions. So my question is do I stream WAV natively?  I am confused with the PCM aspects as that is not an option in 7.1.  Apologies if this was covered earlier, but it seemed like most folks are in the FLAC realm.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on proper settings.

The wav decoder is called PCM in the new version...cuz that's it's more proper digital name (pulse code modulation...i.e digital for wav, in a manner of speaking)

Here:

i just downloaded 7.4 but wonder how do i get to that screenshot ????
perhaps its just too late and i need to go to bed.
any help appreciated.

great thread

malcolm

jhm731

« Reply #70 on: 6 Feb 2009, 06:48 am »
So first time poster but long time lurker and this thread caught my attention.  I have been very happy with the sound quality of 7.1 but want to move onto some of the better features.  I had heard that there were lots of issues and debates on SQ with 7.3, so I'd like to move to 7.4 to test.  With that said, me entire music collection is in either WAV or MP3.  What should the settings be for files that are native WAV?  I want to get the sound that is being described as the bit more "analog" sound as my room can be a bit bright and fatiguing for long listening sessions. So my question is do I stream WAV natively?  I am confused with the PCM aspects as that is not an option in 7.1.  Apologies if this was covered earlier, but it seemed like most folks are in the FLAC realm.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on proper settings.

The wav decoder is called PCM in the new version...cuz that's it's more proper digital name (pulse code modulation...i.e digital for wav, in a manner of speaking)

Here:

i just downloaded 7.4 but wonder how do i get to that screenshot ????
perhaps its just too late and i need to go to bed.
any help appreciated.

great thread

malcolm

Settings(lower right)->advanced->file types.

Jampot

« Reply #71 on: 6 Feb 2009, 07:20 am »
There is not any up to date firmware that inverts phase for the SB2, 3

Would firmware 15 still work?
Fudging the speaker phase would screw up my other sources.....

Just have to try I guess.

Jim

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #72 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:27 pm »
JHM731 is right.  I use the Nokia skin, so for me it's here:

hum4god

« Reply #73 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:32 pm »
got it , thanks jhm731.
must have been sleepy

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #74 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:47 pm »
A couple things I've learned over the past 24 hours, one officially, one that must be my mind playing tricks   :)  :
1)  there is indeed an official bug in the FLAC/PCM transcoder that does not currently allow higher than 16/44.1 FLAC files to transcode to PCM on the fly.  The workaround, of course, is to decode at the player (FLAC-FLAC) or convert your higher rez stuff to something else (I converted them to Wavpack).
2) Why I am now converting on the fly, potentially filling up my wired network with larger files sizes, is initially because of Chris's 7.4 heads up, and then I did a semi-blind test last night (had my wife change the settings back at the pc) and could tell that the PCM on the fly (decoded in the server and sent across the net) has an ever-so-slightly better tone and prat than the FLAC-FLAC setting.  Don't frickin ask me why.   :o I'm just glad i am wired cuz that's extra bandwidth.

bprice2

« Reply #75 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:42 pm »
A couple things I've learned over the past 24 hours, one officially, one that must be my mind playing tricks   :)  :
1)  there is indeed an official bug in the FLAC/PCM transcoder that does not currently allow higher than 16/44.1 FLAC files to transcode to PCM on the fly.  The workaround, of course, is to decode at the player (FLAC-FLAC) or convert your higher rez stuff to something else (I converted them to Wavpack).
2) Why I am now converting on the fly, potentially filling up my wired network with larger files sizes, is initially because of Chris's 7.4 heads up, and then I did a semi-blind test last night (had my wife change the settings back at the pc) and could tell that the PCM on the fly (decoded in the server and sent across the net) has an ever-so-slightly better tone and prat than the FLAC-FLAC setting.  Don't frickin ask me why.   :o I'm just glad i am wired cuz that's extra bandwidth.

Did she give you the "look"?  My wife has the look down solid.  One glance can say a thousand words.   :o

Also, I changed to 7.4 after reading this and I think I hear a difference...seems smoother and bass seems tighter.  Of course, I could also be a victim of suggestive tweaking.  :oops:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #76 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:45 pm »

Did she give you the "look"?  My wife has the look down solid.  One glance can say a thousand words.   :o

Also, I changed to 7.4 after reading this and I think I hear a difference...seems smoother and bass seems tighter.  Of course, I could also be a victim of suggestive tweaking.  :oops:

No, she could care less.  I have that going for me....she's a saint...no WAF. :)

Audioclyde

« Reply #77 on: 7 Feb 2009, 12:10 pm »
I tried using the new 7.4 beta on my new Music Vault and MW Transporter, but the 7.4 beta does not seem to run on the MV (it uses Windows Home Server).  Had to go back to the prior release to get things working.  Anyone else out there using the Music Vault, and if so, have you tried or been able to get 7.4 beta to run?

Philistine

« Reply #78 on: 7 Feb 2009, 03:23 pm »
I used to be proactive with SqueezeCenter beta's but invariably had issues with some of the plugin's, particularly AlienBBC, consequently I've become more patient and now wait for the official release and have not yet switched to the 7.4 beta.

At the same time whenever comments have been made about improved sound quality associated with SqueezeCenter revisions, either on this forum or the SlimDevices forum, these changes have been laughed out by the SlimDevices development guys on the basis that no changes have been made that could have any impact on sonics whatsoever.  I've never heard any changes with any of the different versions myself, and the improvements claimed to have been heard are considered more psychological than real by the SlimDevices guys.  As you can tell I'm on the side of the SD guys on this one.

On this occasion, 7.4, a number of users are reporting sonic improvements, but now I see dissension starting to creep in here and on the SlimDevices forum I see indications that no improvements to the sound should be observed. 

What's the latest?   

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #79 on: 7 Feb 2009, 03:31 pm »
I used to be proactive with SqueezeCenter beta's but invariably had issues with some of the plugin's, particularly AlienBBC, consequently I've become more patient and now wait for the official release and have not yet switched to the 7.4 beta.

At the same time whenever comments have been made about improved sound quality associated with SqueezeCenter revisions, either on this forum or the SlimDevices forum, these changes have been laughed out by the SlimDevices development guys on the basis that no changes have been made that could have any impact on sonics whatsoever.  I've never heard any changes with any of the different versions myself, and the improvements claimed to have been heard are considered more psychological than real by the SlimDevices guys.  As you can tell I'm on the side of the SD guys on this one.

On this occasion, 7.4, a number of users are reporting sonic improvements, but now I see dissension starting to creep in here and on the SlimDevices forum I see indications that no improvements to the sound should be observed. 

What's the latest?   

Phil,

Aren't these the same guys that said the power supply and other changes in the SB and TP couldn't possibly make a difference?

George