A Promitheus Hometheater TVC

drcruz

A Promitheus Hometheater TVC
« on: 14 Feb 2008, 10:58 am »
I've been in contact w/ Nicholas about putting together a 6 channel TVC for my Hometheater. I don't know if anybody is interested but I think I'm just starting this to get my thoughts straight.

The way my system is tweeked is based on stuff I've read on audiophile blogs, "the simpler the system the better the sound". With that philosophy in mind, I use my DVD player's analog outs so the player is doing all the processing. The DVD player analog output setting has all the channels set to large (no crossover in the signal path) and only the LFE signal to the .1 channel subs. My receiver is in bypass mode and is currently just a volume control unit. (again no processing in the receiver)

The set up above was done over time, a little tweak here and a little tweak there. I found that the simpler I made the signal path the better "I" liked the sound.

My Current and very Humble System:
Tosiba SD-6200 DVD Player
VPI Aries Turntable, JMW-10 Arm, Sumiko Celebration MC Cartridge
Rotel RQ-970BX Phono Stage
Pioneer VSX-D HT Receiver
5 Speakercraft AIM3 in ceiling speakers
2 ACI Force Subs
Plain vanila (whatever I could find) IC's
Plain gage wire (from Monster Cable) speaker wire

My upgrade list:
An old B&K 1430 3-channel amp
The Promitheus 6-channel custom TVC (to replace the recevier)
Blue Jean IC's
Anti-Cable Speaker wire

I've only reacently purchased the amp and I'm going to place an order for the TVC, then I'll purchase the wires.

The TVC will be able to except one 6-channel source and one 2-channel source. There will be 3 volume controls. Nicholas says the max number of channels for a volume control is 4. Any more than 4 channels per control increases the cost significantly. Channels 1 and 2 will be on one control (for the front left and right of both the DVD player and the turntable), channel 3 is by itself (this will be for the subwoofer, which will be explained below), the final volume control will be for channels 4, 5, and 6 (the center and surrounds).

It sounds like a pain having 3 volume controls, so I plan on calibrating everything using an AVIA test disc and just leaving the volume controls alone (possibly marking the positions or I might use a  "Locktight" breakable seal, we'll see).

The reason for the seperate subwoofer knob is that Dolby Digital recommends that the subwoofer be calibrate 5 to 10 dbs higher than the other channels. Since my DVD player can only do fine tuning, I need a gross volume control for the subs. If life was perfect I would have 5 channels on one volume control and the subs would be on a second.

Anyway, I may come back to this thread and report how everything goes. I'm really geeking out over the Panasonic DMP-BD50 or the Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-ray Players. When they finally come to market one of thoughs will be my next upgrade. That way I can take REAL advantage of the TVC w/ lossless audio going through it.  :thumb:

Anyway thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2008, 06:14 pm by drcruz »

drcruz

Re: A Promitheus Hometheater TVC
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2008, 12:40 am »
I placed the order w/ Nicholas. According to him my unit will take about 3 to 4 weeks to finish. I'm in NO hurry as long as the unit works when I get it. I've also got all my cables and the new (used B&K 1430) amp in stand-by.

In preparation I've been trying to critically listen to a few of my CD's and DVD's to get a feel for how they sound in my current set-up and I even purchased a couple of new LP's (Grand Funk's American Band and Gregorio Paniagua's Atrium Musicae de Madrid). Since my main focus is Home Theater the DVD's I picked are WotW's, SW:AotC's, U-571 and Batman Begins.

I do not have my hopes set too high, because (as mentioned above) my current system has in-ceiling speakers installed by my home's developer. I have no idea what kind of speaker cables are in the ceiling  and walls. If I'm impatient I may buy an inexpensive set of speakers from AV123, but I'm really fighting the temptation to save up for what I really want (Three 626's w/ FST's and Megawoofer from VMPS in a LCR config).

One last thing, I think I'm going to hold out for the Oppo Blu-ray player.
« Last Edit: 2 Apr 2008, 07:39 pm by drcruz »

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2008, 12:52 am »
That custom TVC sounds very interesting.
May take some dialing in, but  :thumb:

Off topic, but what are you using for a phono stage?

Somewhat on topic, you should give the Walmart speaker cables a try.  $10 will net you up to a 20ft pair of nice sounding cables.

drcruz

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:12 am »
Hey Brad,

"...what are you using for a phono stage?"

A Rotel RQ-970BX

As for speaker cables I could do a little tweak there, though once I get the LCR's I want, then I will think about upgrading the surrounds and their cables.

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:27 am »
I noticed you had anticables as one of your upgrades.

I found the Walmart/Lowes cables to be VERY good.
10 minutes of your time and less than $10 for 40ft (so up to a 20' pair)

That's a nice analog setup!

Cheers

tanchiro58

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2008, 03:45 am »
Drcruz,

Do you get all 6 channels with C-core "Big Mama" OPTs from Nicholas at Promitheus Audio? That would be interesting. One day I will let him custom made that.

Tan

drcruz

« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2008, 04:08 pm »
Thanks Brad for the kind words.

Tan,

Sadly no. As much as I would have liked to order the ALL-OUT C-Core pre-amp, I can only afford standard version transformers.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the TVC set-up for my Home Theater, especially after reading about the benefits of using transformers. The Stereophile article definitely points out the problems w/ a purely resistive passive pre-amp.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0102/preamplifiers.htm

http://www.stereophile.com/amplificationreviews/54/

Thanks for reading :)

drcruz

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2008, 04:16 pm »
Brad,

You definitely have me thinking. It's going to be a while before I can do any further upgrades. I may start digging into how the developer installed my speakers...hmmmm. With as much as I spent, it'll definitely irritate me if they used some kind of lame 18 or 24 gage wire.
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2008, 06:19 pm by drcruz »

drcruz

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2008, 07:56 pm »
My old trusty Toshiba SD-6200 died recently so now I'm going to wait for the Panny DMP BP-50.

http://panasonic.net/pavc/blu-ray/dmp-bd50/features/index.html

It internal decodes all the HD Lossless formats...SWEET!!!  :thumb:

Rumors have the panny being released in May or June for $599. I haven't recieved 6 channel Promitheus TVC yet, but at least I'm not in a huge hurry.

drcruz

« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2008, 11:24 pm »
YAHOO!!!  :thumb:

Nicholas says my TVC Pre-amp will be here between 3 to 5 business days via DHL.

SWEET!!!

After reading reviews on the upscaling capabilities of the Panny DMP BD30 and the fact the DMP BD50 has the same internal video chip I decided to wait for the Oppo Blu-Ray player. To replace my Ol' Toshiba SD-6200, I purchased a used Denon 1930ci off Audiogon.

CAN'T WAIT!!!  :drool:

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2008, 12:45 pm »
YAHOO!!!  :thumb:

Nicholas says my TVC Pre-amp will be here between 3 to 5 business days via DHL.

CAN'T WAIT!!!  :drool:

Did your TVC arrive yet?

drcruz

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2008, 06:48 pm »
Early,

No dice this week, hopefully next week.

Nicholas, If your out there, what date did you mail out my unit?

Thanks,
Daniel Cruz

drcruz

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2008, 04:20 pm »
 :(

No TVC yet...

Nicholas contacted me and said there was a delay in shipping. Hopefully the unit will go out on May 4th. If so I might not get the TVC till next Monday (May 12th).

We'll see.

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2008, 10:17 pm »
Thanks for the update. I'm waiting on a Promi unit, as well, that was ordered in February. I hope mine ships along with yours.

Please post pics of your TVC when it arrives.

drcruz

« Reply #14 on: 7 May 2008, 03:23 pm »
UPDATE:

I recieved this e-mail from Promitheus today:

------------------------------------

SUBJECT: DHL AIRWAY BILL NO

Hi Daniel,
We are pleased to inform that your TVC-Home Theater has been shipped and the tracking number is XXXXXXXXX

Regards,
Helen

------------------------------------

5 to 10 business days from today BABY!!!  YEAH!!!  :thumb:

Gaara

« Reply #15 on: 7 May 2008, 03:40 pm »
Thanks for the update. I'm waiting on a Promi unit, as well, that was ordered in February. I hope mine ships along with yours.

So is that what you have been so secretive about on CP, a HT TVC?

Early B.

« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2008, 05:41 pm »

So is that what you have been so secretive about on CP, a HT TVC?

Nope. Not HT.

drcruz

« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2008, 04:07 pm »
It's Heeerrrrrreeee....

The TVC arrived yesterday and SHE IS BEAUTIFUL...Holy Crap! She's built like a tank, she's BIG at 18.75 inches wide (18.75"w x 11"d x 3"h) and HEAVY (may be 30 lbs.)

I'll be installing and testing the unit soon. My speakers are In-Ceiling and may not be very resolving, so my hopes aren't too high. But "I KNOW" the simplistic approach is the way to go for great sound especially when I do finally get decent speakers. So as long as all the channels work "I WILL be happy" no doubt.

PIX:
1) http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1453&pos=5
2) http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1453&pos=6
3) http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1453&pos=7
4) http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1453&pos=8
5) http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1453&pos=9
6) http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1453&pos=10

I need a little help:
1) The cones (see pic #5) need to be glued on, what type of glue do I use?
2) The "Temporary Home" (see pic #6) is underneath my Denon 1930ci. Does the TVC generate much heat?

Thanks Everyone :)

« Last Edit: 14 May 2008, 04:38 pm by drcruz »

Gaara

« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2008, 04:17 pm »
My TVC generates 0 heat that I am aware of.  What kind of wood is that, your TVC looks amazing.

drcruz

« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2008, 04:37 pm »
Well this is a quote from Nicholas, "Your unit was using our new and more [expensive] wood and the oil finish."

Also he's sending me matching knobs, "We ordered the same wood species and pattern for the knobs and going to get them oil finish. I believe it would be killer."

But I don't know what the "type" of wood it is.