Re: RED, RED WINE!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: RED, RED WINE! (Bargain alert)
« Reply #100 on: 17 Feb 2012, 05:25 pm »
2005 Poggio Il Castellare Brunello Di Montalcino is available for $24.99 after using HALFPRICEBRUNELLO coupon code.  Free shipping if you get 6 or more.  Wine Spectator rates the vintage 89 due to late rain but the wine itself is rated 93.  90 on Wine Advocate.  If anything, it is supposed to be more approachable right now.  It's a great price for a good Brunello.  By comparison the 2004 vintage (a 97 rated year) is going for $45. 

AUDFILE74

Re: Re: RED, RED WINE! (Bargain alert)
« Reply #101 on: 29 Feb 2012, 06:00 pm »
http://www.lacrema.com/index.cfm?method=storeproducts.showlist&productcategoryid=e86c6ff9-fb55-164d-1138-9185cc6d6480 Ilove this wine . it is a good drinking wine for me because it is so smooth.  you knock off the whole bottle before you know it.i think it is a gooddatenight wine, you and your woman trying to relax? this will get it done. it juist tasted good. i want to try this with shring and garlic linguini one day. i got a feeling there will be fireworks.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #102 on: 29 Feb 2012, 06:17 pm »
http://www.libertycreekwine.com/sweet-red.html

Extraordinarily good and inexpensive!

Jon L

« Reply #103 on: 29 Feb 2012, 06:53 pm »
http://www.libertycreekwine.com/sweet-red.html

Extraordinarily good and inexpensive!

Search through their website shows Albertsons carries them.  Is that right and how much is it?

Anyhow, I do like this excellent "Unruly Red" from Bev Mo, which is on the 5 cent sale right now, so 2 bottles for $11.99 + 5 cents! 

IMG_9124 by drjlo2, on Flickr

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #104 on: 8 Apr 2012, 09:56 pm »
1999 La Pousse d'Or Volnay 1er Cru En Caillerets

A bargain as I just 'found' it in my cellar, it's been there awhile. Tag says I paid $39.99.

Decanted, waiting on Easter dinner in about 30 minutes.

F-100

« Reply #105 on: 2 May 2012, 06:14 pm »
I did a wine tasting trip to Santa Barbara County last weekend, stopped by Blackjack Ranch (Sideways movie) and got a case of 2005 Blackjack Ranch Merlot Billy Goat Hill for $200.

Good stuff !!!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #106 on: 2 May 2012, 06:42 pm »
I did a wine tasting trip to Santa Barbara County last weekend, stopped by Blackjack Ranch (Sideways movie) and got a case of 2005 Blackjack Ranch Merlot Billy Goat Hill for $200.

Good stuff !!!

Nice pick up.  Their website shows case-price as $300.  Can't beat a walk in special!

I have been on a Merlot kick lately too --  mostly Right bank wines with 2003 Clinet being the best bargain find. 

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #107 on: 18 May 2012, 01:19 pm »
2009 Chateau Vieux Brandard Bel Air from Lussac Saint Emilion is offered at $13.99 a bottle with free shipping starting at 4 bottles from Wine Legend.  2009 is rated 96 for the Right Bank.  It's an unknown winery for me but James Suckling rates it 92.  Ever since he left Wine Spectator to be on his own, I noticed that his rating is inflated a little.  But even if it's Wine Spectator 90, this would be a great deal.  Cellar Tracker average price is $19 although sample size is low and I just doubled it.  This should be very drinkable now with 75% Merlot.  I been on a smooth Merlot kick lately and this looks good to me.  Lussac is a satellite appellation from the Saint Emilion AOC proper and the price reflects that.  Occasionally though,  you get an outlier killer from the fringe that's a bargain hunter's dream.  I am hoping this is one of those.  :wine:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #108 on: 18 May 2012, 01:45 pm »
It's tempting. :)
2009 Chateau Vieux Brandard Bel Air from Lussac Saint Emilion is offered at $13.99 a bottle with free shipping starting at 4 bottles from Wine Legend.  2009 is rated 96 for the Right Bank.  It's an unknown winery for me but James Suckling rates it 92.  Ever since he left Wine Spectator to be on his own, I noticed that his rating is inflated a little.  But even if it's Wine Spectator 90, this would be a great deal.  Cellar Tracker average price is $19 although sample size is low and I just doubled it.  This should be very drinkable with 75% Merlot.  I been on a smooth Merlot kick lately and this looks good to me.  Lussac is a satellite appellation from the Saint Emilion AOC proper and the price reflects that.  Occasionally though,  you get an outlier killer from the fringe that's a bargain hunter's dream.  I am hoping this is one of those.  :wine:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #109 on: 18 May 2012, 02:27 pm »
It's tempting. :)

Get some and and bring them up to RMAF.  I will help you drink a bottle or two.  Wine tastes better at high altitude. 8)

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #110 on: 18 May 2012, 03:38 pm »
Done.

See you in Oct.
Get some and and bring them up to RMAF.  I will help you drink a bottle or two.  Wine tastes better at high altitude. 8)

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #111 on: 18 May 2012, 04:15 pm »
Done.

See you in Oct.

Glad you got some in time.  Sold out now.  You know it's a good deal when they sell out in hours. :thumb:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #112 on: 21 Aug 2012, 05:26 pm »
Very good Brunello at a great price.

2007 Altesino is rated 92 by both Wine Advocate and Wine Spectator and confirmed on Cellar Tracker with a score of 92.3.  2007 was a good year in Tuscany and you can't really find any Brunellos under $35 and this one is on sale for $24.95.  This is a steal.  Get them while you can.  The same wine on a great year of 2001 is at $90.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #113 on: 23 Dec 2012, 07:15 am »
Wine Spectator   ....Top picks for 2012...see video for Top 10 ... Link...  :wine:

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #114 on: 18 Sep 2013, 02:50 pm »
Three years ago, I posted here and received a case of 2007 Falerno del Massico Rosso (Nugnes).  What a great QPR wine it turned out to be.  It was reticent coming out of the bottle but a few hours of aeration opened up layers of fruits, firm tannins and high acid in good balance.  Silky texture with long finish, it was drinking fine but it clearly was structured to last and I stashed the rest for drinking later.  Wines with firm tannins always benefit from bottle aging given the right cellaring conditions. 

Now comes the 2009.  This blend of Aglianico and Piedirosso from Campania is more highly extracted than the 2007 and is said to be a well balanced fruit bomb.  I have some reservations about highly extracted wines due to balance issue.  If the tannins and acid match the extracted fruit, then I am all for it.  It could turn out to be a great wine.  At $16.95 some on Cellartracker have put it in QPR hall of fame.  Needless to say, I put in my order.  :wine: :wine: :wine: 

Don't miss out. 

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #115 on: 7 Nov 2013, 05:30 pm »
Not wine this time but wine glass bargain alert!

I just picked up This 6 glass set from Costco for 39.99.  That makes each glass $6.67.  These normally retail $25 a glass which compares to Riedel Vinum glasses in both quality and price.  I know.  I have them both.  Overstock has it at $119.99 and you can get it at Costco for $39.99 (current instant $10.00 rebate).  Other places sell 2 glass set for $50.  This is a great deal.  I had to get one.  Stemware breaks at a certain rate and I will have these to replace my CS/Red left bank Bordeaux glasses.  :thumb:

BobM

« Reply #116 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:25 pm »
2010 Bodegas Mas Alta Priorat Black Slate La Vilella Alta
- I bought the 2010, but the 2011 is rated even higher. A great Spanish wine, but not a Tempranillo. This is Grenache, but absolutely great. A few more years in the cellar and this will be truly outstanding, though it drinks very well right now. Most Priorat's with this kind of rating go for $75-100/bottle, so grab this wine selling for under $20/bottle while you can.

"When’s the last time anyone found a Priorat rated over 90 points for under $25 a bottle? A project of acclaimed Rhone Valley winemakers Philippe Cambie and Michel Tardieu from one of Priorat’s nine villages, La Vilella Alta, the 2010 Black Slate was fashioned from 60% Garnacha, 35% Carignan and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, aged 12 months in French oak, and bottled unfined and unfiltered. Notes of graphite, blueberry liqueur, raspberries, crushed rocks and spring flowers jump from the glass of this inky/purple-colored wine. It possesses fabulous intensity, a multidimensional mouthfeel, supple tannins and a long finish. The natural alcohol pushes 16%, and there are 1,000 cases exported to the United States. It should keep for 5-10+ years. Priorat wines such as this normally sell for over $100 a bottle."
94 Points The Wine Advocate

Cellartracker - http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1414652
Wine Searcher - http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/bodegas+mas+alta+priorat+black+slate+la+vilella+alta/2011

Oh, and it is actually available, not like the 2009 Falerno del Massico Rosso mentioned above.  :duh:
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2013, 08:36 pm by BobM »

jhm731

« Reply #117 on: 7 Nov 2013, 07:31 pm »
www.90pointclub.com

Top value: 2010 Honig Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley - 93 points - $45.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #118 on: 7 Nov 2013, 08:24 pm »
2010 Bodegas Mas Alta Priorat Black Slate La Vilella Alta
- I bought the 2010, but the 2011 is rated even higher. A great Spanich wine, but not a Tempranillo. This is Grenache, but absolutely great. A few more years in the cellar and this will be truly outstanding, though it drinks very well right now. Most Priorat's with this kind of rating go for $75-100/bottle, so grab this wine selling for under $20/bottle while you can.

"When’s the last time anyone found a Priorat rated over 90 points for under $25 a bottle? A project of acclaimed Rhone Valley winemakers Philippe Cambie and Michel Tardieu from one of Priorat’s nine villages, La Vilella Alta, the 2010 Black Slate was fashioned from 60% Garnacha, 35% Carignan and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, aged 12 months in French oak, and bottled unfined and unfiltered. Notes of graphite, blueberry liqueur, raspberries, crushed rocks and spring flowers jump from the glass of this inky/purple-colored wine. It possesses fabulous intensity, a multidimensional mouthfeel, supple tannins and a long finish. The natural alcohol pushes 16%, and there are 1,000 cases exported to the United States. It should keep for 5-10+ years. Priorat wines such as this normally sell for over $100 a bottle."
94 Points The Wine Advocate

Cellartracker - http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=1414652
Wine Searcher - corrected wine searcher link

Oh, and it is actually available, not like the 2009 Falerno del Massico Rosso mentioned above.  :duh:

You linked Cellar Tracker twice.  I put in the Wine Searcher link.  Two out of 4 are in DC.  I can swing by after work. 

I love Priorats too.  I would cellar the '11s.  I am drinking '03s and '04s right now.

BTW, most of my recommendation links here sell out in hours.  I got tons of leads and I only put up really good deals here.  :?

Update.  2010 Falerno del Massico Rosso (Nugnes) (750ml) is available for $17.50 but it's prearrival.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #119 on: 24 Mar 2014, 02:22 am »
Today is my wife's birthday.  My 11 year old daughter and I collaborated to to make a crab cake dinner followed by a Grand Marnier souffle for dessert.  It turned out great.  She was so proud to wisk and fold the merinque to have the souffle turn up.   After a bottle of Lallier Grande Reserve Grand Cru Brut Champagne  I opened up a 2011 Calcareous Zinfandel.  It was a gift from a relative.  I don't really care for zins that much but I was doing the dishes and thought what the heck.  It really floored me.   The fruity flavor with peppery finish is really good.  I may have to rethink my opinion on zins.  This one is a great wine.  I am doing the dishes as I watch my alma mater play in the March Madness.  We are up by 15 at the half.  This wine is going down really smoothly.  Try it you get a chance.  I heard Paso is good for zins.  I may have to get some.  This one rocks. :wine: