Cans for use with laptop or portable music player

EMM801

Cans for use with laptop or portable music player
« on: 19 Oct 2006, 08:07 pm »
Right now I'm using Sennheiser PX100's which sound great (especially for the price) but thinking about something a little larger for "home" use, but still ez to drive with portable or laptop which often don't have the most "muscular" drive circuits, especially true of the headphone circuit in my Palm. Note, I strongly prefer "open" phones. Suggestions?

TheChairGuy

Re: Cans for use with laptop or portable music player
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2006, 08:44 pm »
The Grado SR60 would seem almost to be the de facto choice at $69. I use them at home, too, they do the job (I'm not a 'critical' headphone listener, however)

My meager portable and laptop outputs drive them fine.  The in-ear phones ave higher efficiency, typically, and tend to work better with those measly outputs.

I own Westone UM-2's...similar to dual driver Shure, for less money.  I like them a lot...travel with them all the time. 

http://www.westone.com/music/

I bought them on ebay from a seller in Cincinatti for a lot less than $299.00 (I think $225 or something a couple years back)

On the road they double as audio phones and also SKYPE phones (with a separate mic bought from Radio Shack).  The Westone's and the little Radio Shack mic take up nearly no room or weight at all.

Enjoy.

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2006, 10:09 pm »
Hey!

I have been using my Grado SR60 since 1996 :D I use them both outside and at home with portable CDP, MD, my Apple PowerBook. At home I use them with the Akai R2R built-in EL84 SE tube amp :D They still sound great!

But if you looking for noise isolation than you will need some thing else. Like the in-ear type. I recently bought a Etymotic ER-6iB for my recent trip to Thailand and use them with my Apple PowerBook. They do a superb job isolating noise. But sound wise the Grado SR60 is much better. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

elcaptain88

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2006, 10:24 pm »
If you didn't say you were already using the px100's those would have been my first recommendation. The sr-60's are good, but not better enough for your intended uses to overcome the worse ergonomics. The AKG K81, although a closed phone, might be an upgrade while maintaining the portability and comfort of the px100's.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2006, 01:02 am »

EMM801

« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2006, 11:40 pm »
Maybe it's overkill but I sure as hell enjoy my Stax electrostatics w/ my laptop! :P
No doubt you do :drool:
Are you driving them directly?  :icon_surprised: Or taking a line feed into an outboard amp (Not too familiar with how those are designed) Seem to remember those have a dedicated amp- is this correct?

At any rate, probably way out of my price range- wondering about AKG K701's or something similar. Liked the sound of the Grados I've heard but hated the feel- but I hear they have more comfortable cushions now.