Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?

NewBuyer

Re: Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?
« Reply #80 on: 2 Oct 2006, 10:46 pm »
Randy, did your TVC show up, or did DHL update their progress status yet?

GHM

« Reply #81 on: 2 Oct 2006, 11:04 pm »
I was wondering the same thing. :scratch: Randy must live in a dry DHL area. I would have thought no more than 3 days to any where in the States.

Randy

« Reply #82 on: 3 Oct 2006, 12:00 am »
Guys,
  I got it about two hours ago.  It arrived in Casper this morning (fifty miles west of here) and was delivered  to my house about 3:30 P. M. mountain time.  It is running now.  It arrived is good condition.  The box had no dents or scratches on it either.
  Well, Holy Smoke, it sounds superb.  As I said in a previous post, I went through several preamps over the years and always went back to running my CDP (Levinson CD -39) directly into my amps (Odyssey mono extremes) and their predecessors (Classe, Bryston, Musical Fidelity) because of the extra transparency you get that way.  With the Promitheus the transparency is still there, but so is a fuller and richer sound.  One result so far I feel like playing everything louder because the pure sound is just as good at the higher volumes.  The chill factor is back, something pretty much absent since I quit listening to Lps all the time.  (If I can find my phono preamp I'm anxious to try some records with the Promitheus.)
  Don't know about break in time.  It sounds pretty good right now. 
  My previous preamps, all either sold or in storage, were a Conrad Johnson ss version (once listed as Class A in Stereophile), a Croft tube unit, Musical Fidelity, a BV - Audio P-1, and an old Superphon.  (The ancient Superphon and the Croft were the best.)
  IMO Nicholas ought to charge more than he does for this preamp.
  I will be interested to see what a professional reviewer has to say about it. 
  It does not clip via the balanced outputs of the CDP like the BV audio pre did.  I am running it all balanced with silver wire interconnects.

GHM

« Reply #83 on: 3 Oct 2006, 12:35 am »
:D Sounds like you're having some fun!! :thumb: I agree Nicholas should charge more..It's sad to say,but some don't take this stuff serious, unless you had to mortgage the house for it. :lol:

You shouldn't have any clipping problems as there's nothing to clip on the TVC.

Good listening

Randy

« Reply #84 on: 3 Oct 2006, 01:12 am »
GHM,
  I went back and read some of your previous posts and can say I agree 100% with your observations regarding the sound of the Promitheus.  Still listening and getting hungry as I have been unable to leave to get something to eat.  BTW, about this time of night, the sound of my system normally goes into the toilet due to issues in the quality of the electricity during the evenings here, but so far the sound with the Promitheus seems to be holding up pretty well.  I wonder if there's a technical explanation of why this might be so.

bikes and beats

« Reply #85 on: 3 Oct 2006, 02:48 am »
Just placed my order.
This buzz you've created is too much to resist! I know that this preamp will be the solution I'm looking for if the sound is anywhere near as good for me as it has been for you guys. I'll be using the TVC with Nuforce amps and hope to turn on some folks on that board if things go well. I really like the idea of making my system as efficient as possible.
So what is the turnaround time?
I ordered it with the silver interconnects so should these go from the source or to the amps?
Thanks!
-Mike
 :drool:

GHM

« Reply #86 on: 3 Oct 2006, 08:59 am »
GHM,
  I went back and read some of your previous posts and can say I agree 100% with your observations regarding the sound of the Promitheus.  Still listening and getting hungry as I have been unable to leave to get something to eat.  BTW, about this time of night, the sound of my system normally goes into the toilet due to issues in the quality of the electricity during the evenings here, but so far the sound with the Promitheus seems to be holding up pretty well.  I wonder if there's a technical explanation of why this might be so.

Hey Randy..I was the same way of course...couldn't leave for listening! :lol: Not sure why this is with the power. I did read some where that a TVC provides input to output isolation which lowers the noise floor of the system. Maybe this could be one of the reasons you hear what you do?

Mike, Nick quoted 2 weeks or so as the turn around now, since he's doing it full time now. If you go further back in the thread you'll find it.

Have fun

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #87 on: 3 Oct 2006, 09:48 am »
Mike, for $50 bucks why not buy a 2nd pair of silver IC's? 

Has anyone seen, tried them?

bikes and beats

« Reply #88 on: 4 Oct 2006, 03:43 am »
Yes,
I too would like to hear if anyone has bothered to try both copper and silver IC's with the passive TVC. I'd also like to hear what the Musical Fidelity tube buffer does to the sound. I'm aware that it maximizes the impedence difference between the source and preamp but how does that translate to sonic changes?
Thanks,
Mike
:scratch:

denjo

« Reply #89 on: 4 Oct 2006, 04:49 am »
Its really a matter of taste: with a silver TVC, having silver ICs might be too much of a good thing! I am auditioning the Neotech silver and copper in my system (silver is 5 times the price of the copper), and through the Altmann DAC I must say that the copper gave me greater musical pleasure and enjoyment than the silver. The copper was mellow and warm and just invites you to sit down and listen, while the silver was extremely detailed to the point of encouraging me to analyse rather than just sit down and ENJOY! In my system, the nod goes to the copper Neotech ICs! And with it - $$$!

Dennis

bikes and beats

« Reply #90 on: 4 Oct 2006, 12:48 pm »
Dennis,
You've bolstered my suspicions regarding IC material. I know I prefer the sound of my Cardas copper IC's (and have through several system changes). I am curious to see how reactive the TVC is to Silver and Copper IC's; i.e. if it's more so than an active preamp. But I suspect that if the transformers are doing their job then either material will work fine. I can't wait!
-Mike

denjo

« Reply #91 on: 4 Oct 2006, 01:13 pm »
Mike
You are going love the TVC! Its like a looking glass that reveals everything in a system - source, speakers, cables, etc. I was able to observe that my source previously (and a few cables) were the weak links in my audio system, allowing me to address those areas of weakness. Get ready to start a journey of further audio upgrades! Welcome to the TVC club!

Dennis

GHM

« Reply #92 on: 5 Oct 2006, 01:37 am »
Thanks for the shorting plugs rec Newbuyer! These do what they should do for cheap! There was a back order on them. Must have been others ordering them as I just got mine today.  :thumb:

This pic is just for scale using a CD case.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #93 on: 5 Oct 2006, 02:19 am »
Thanks for the photo Gymane....didn't realize the size...but with the cd case on top....now I do....its small. :o

Chris

Randy

« Reply #94 on: 5 Oct 2006, 02:26 am »
With the balanced version there is one less set of inputs, total of three instead of four, one XLR, two RCA.  Outputs - one of each.  I am using both, the RCA out going to the subwoofer, the XLR to my amps.  Seems to work beautifully.  Now I have to leave home for two weeks.  Darn.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #95 on: 5 Oct 2006, 02:32 am »
Thanks for the photo Gymane....didn't realize the size...but with the cd case on top....now I do....its small. :o

TVCs tend to be small because they *can* be.  The Audio Zone Pre T1 is even smaller, though it's a heavy, nearly solid chuck of Al.  "Cute", my gf insists.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #96 on: 5 Oct 2006, 02:35 am »

TVCs tend to be small because they *can* be.  The Audio Zone Pre T1 is even smaller, though it's a heavy, nearly solid chuck of Al.  "Cute", my gf insists.
The old saying...."go thing's come in small package's"....looks that way. 8)

GHM

« Reply #97 on: 5 Oct 2006, 03:29 am »
:scratch: You know guys..either I'm loosing it..or the bass just became more authoritative when I put the shorting plugs in. It was adequate before..now it is prodigious..still tight though!! :o

Maybe it's all in my head.:dunno:

Bummer you have to leave the system for two weeks Randy. :cry:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #98 on: 5 Oct 2006, 09:35 am »
Using the same Promitheus silver wire inside and out makes some kind of sense to me.

bikes and beats

« Reply #99 on: 5 Oct 2006, 07:40 pm »
Who knows the best way to contact Prometheus Audio?
Thanks,
Mike