Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?

Randy

Re: Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?
« Reply #60 on: 29 Sep 2006, 02:02 am »
Thanks, GHM.  I live in the middle of Wyoming, but Casper isn't too far, fifty miles or so.  Casper is a major city around here, but I suspect it won't arrive until Saturday at the earliest.

GHM

« Reply #61 on: 29 Sep 2006, 02:12 am »
Hi Randy..well DHL had me fooled. I just knew the unit would take at least 3 days. I got up the morning before I figured it would arrive and checked the tracking. The unit was already on the back of the delivery truck!! :lol: It shipped out Monday from Malaysia and at my doorstep Wednesday morning. It was the same thing for Greg also. Don't be too surprised if you get an early Christmas in the morning.  :wink:

Randy

« Reply #62 on: 29 Sep 2006, 02:20 am »
GHM, tomorrow would be nice.  I have to leave town early next week for a couple of weeks, so I hope it is here tomorrow, so I can enjoy it a little longer before I go.  More important, I hope it gets here in one piece.  I'm not sure Nicholas would have shipped it this soon, since he was still trying to sort things out with DHL, but I told him I was leaving and didn't want to wait until I got back as he suggested.  We shall soon see how it turns out.  I think it may be the first balanced version Nicholas has sold.

GHM

« Reply #63 on: 29 Sep 2006, 02:34 am »
I sure look forward to reading your comments on it. I was checking out the configuration on the site. Maybe I should have ordered mine the same way. Since you can use it with balanced or unbalanced cables. Yup I figured since I live on the East coast. Your at least 1500 to 2000 miles closer to Malaysia than I am :lol:. You should get the unit just as fast..if not faster.

You mentioned your other preamp clipped when running your amplifers. What made the preamp clip?

GHM

« Reply #64 on: 29 Sep 2006, 02:40 am »
actually most of the customer find that the preamp sounds good when used out of the box.

but the improvement gets better and better once you run it in. I remember if you hit 100 hours the sound will change quite a bit more and last jump in performance is at 300 hours

Anyway good news, i have retired from my day job. I find doing this preamp is  more rewarding. When you are helping people reach better sound and their gratitude back makes this all worth while.

Hence our current turn-around time is 1-2weeks.

Cheers
Nicholas

Nick I'm glad to hear you're able to do something you love!! :thumb:
I'm also glad to know the wait has shorten a bit..you know how some of us audiophiles are..very impatient! :drool:

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #65 on: 29 Sep 2006, 02:42 am »
Randy
I just check on dhl thru the tracking number i sent you.

Your tvc is in LAX aready, clearing as mention on DHL

Hopely you would receive it later today or saturday morning

ryno

« Reply #66 on: 29 Sep 2006, 02:59 am »
If you guys would have let this thread slide, I would have made it. But every day I look and its back at the top. :wave:
I hope I'm as happy with the promitheus as you guys seem to be. I'm set up well for a passive, I've had an IRD purist for a few years now. I've had a couple active pre's in the system in the last year, but none were as smooth as the purist. I like the idea of dynamics and low level impact claimed by TVC's. I'm using a CIaudio DAC with 2.5 volts out, and a bryston amp that reaches full power easily. My DIY hypex almost reaches full power at no attenuation. I look forward to some comparisons.
Ryan

GHM

« Reply #67 on: 29 Sep 2006, 03:13 am »
If you guys would have let this thread slide, I would have made it. But every day I look and its back at the top. :wave:
I hope I'm as happy with the promitheus as you guys seem to be. I'm set up well for a passive, I've had an IRD purist for a few years now. I've had a couple active pre's in the system in the last year, but none were as smooth as the purist. I like the idea of dynamics and low level impact claimed by TVC's. I'm using a CIaudio DAC with 2.5 volts out, and a bryston amp that reaches full power easily. My DIY hypex almost reaches full power at no attenuation. I look forward to some comparisons.
Ryan

Cool Ryan...do you use the gain with the IRD or no gain? Glad to have you aboard. The IRD was next on my list to try. It has gotten such great reviews. Please let us know what you think of the little Promitheus. When do you expect yours?

Good listening :D

ryno

« Reply #68 on: 29 Sep 2006, 03:25 am »
GHM,
No gain needed with the bryston, yes with the hypex, but only at levels that are a little too loud.
It looks like nicholas is bumping up production, It can't arrive soon enough :D
Ryan

Randy

« Reply #69 on: 29 Sep 2006, 04:20 am »
GHM- The balanced output of my CD player is 4.4 volts, twice the RCA output.  I didn't know what the strange noise coming from my speakers was and blamed the XLR interconnects until I knew better.  The preamp mfg. told me it was clipping due to its  output level and said his CDP clipped his preamp as well.  This is a far as I can go on technical matters, but I checked with Nicholas about this problem and he said the Promitheus is designed to handle at least 7 volts of input if not more.  I long since had given up on using any preamp at all and had been driving my amps directly with the CD player.  Pure sound, but I hope it's better with the Promitheus not to mention the added flexibility. 
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2006, 12:08 am by Randy »

GHM

« Reply #70 on: 29 Sep 2006, 03:49 pm »
I just finished readings Nick's response over on the Zero Gain site. Looks like you fellows are getting the upgraded trannies. 8)
I forgot Nick told me that he changed the technique's on the Trannies. They are now true balanced even in the single ended units. Mine already has the new version.

He's offering free upgrades to the guys that didn't get these versions..minus shipping cost. I think that's terrific!! :thumb:

Randy..you've got plenty of power to drive several amplifiers at the same time! :o

NewBuyer

« Reply #71 on: 29 Sep 2006, 03:55 pm »
What is the Zero Gain site please?

GHM

NewBuyer

« Reply #73 on: 29 Sep 2006, 04:04 pm »
Thanks! :)

That looks like an interesting site, hadn't seen it before...

Randy

« Reply #74 on: 29 Sep 2006, 05:10 pm »
GHM - I run a subwoofer as well, so that's good news.  I wonder how well my CD player has been powering my subwoofer (active.)  Never thought of it being a possible problem before.  BTW, it has not arrived yet, and seems to be hung up in Wilmington, Ohio, since yesterday morning according to the tracking.  Nicholas mentioned LAX but I don't see it in the tracking I get on the DHL site.

GHM

« Reply #75 on: 29 Sep 2006, 06:38 pm »
The express packages are normally in Wilmington for only a few hours. This is DHL's main terminal. Chances are the package has left Wilmington on its way to Wyoming.The tracking systems lag by several hours. If you check the package from the Malaysian DHL site..it will give you more details on the package. Looks like in the morning..hope everything arrives safe.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #76 on: 29 Sep 2006, 08:59 pm »
Best way to run a sub is with high-level outputs of the amp, anyway.  At least, that is my preference, and RELs, and if you are running a passive linestage that's further reason for it.

NewBuyer

« Reply #77 on: 29 Sep 2006, 10:50 pm »
Best way to run a sub is with high-level outputs of the amp, anyway...if you are running a passive linestage that's further reason for it.

With resistor-based passives I personally would agree with this statement, but not so with the TVC. I believe running line-out directly to sub, using the extra TVC outs, is the better option here.

Randy

« Reply #78 on: 30 Sep 2006, 04:19 pm »
I run the subwoofer via the RCA outs of my CDP, the main speakers via the XLR outs.  Seems to work okay, though the sub may not have quite the slam it did when driving it with an active preamp, also with the line out. 

As to DHL shipping, the tracking still only registers its arrival in Wilmington now two days ago.  Maybe it fell off the conveyor belt and is laying on the floor somewhere.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #79 on: 30 Sep 2006, 07:54 pm »
Best way to run a sub is with high-level outputs of the amp, anyway...if you are running a passive linestage that's further reason for it.

With resistor-based passives I personally would agree with this statement, but not so with the TVC. I believe running line-out directly to sub, using the extra TVC outs, is the better option here.

I disagree, but certainly line-level is fine usually with a TVC.  Likely the source has plenty of current to drive the sub as well since the TVC doesn't throw any away.

I have found that integration is easier with speaker-level inputs, as REL recommends, tho definitely there are good arguments on the other side and you can generally get good results either way...