The Peridot has landed!

Bingenito

The Peridot has landed!
« on: 21 Aug 2006, 01:24 am »
Rick dropped off a pair of figured Eucalyptus Perdiots trimmed out with solid Mahogany inlays. As you can see they are gorgeous. I cannot say enough about the quality of the finish on these speakers. Anyone interested is welcome to come see these and the RC5s in person.

They are playing in the HT room right now but will probably share the reference room with the RC5 very soon.  :wink: Yes they come with spikes but I am still working on placement.

Midnite Mick

Re: The Peridot has landed!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2006, 07:18 am »
Having both the RC5 and the Peridots, how do they compare?

Mike

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2006, 08:33 am »
amazing!
my amps would rock with such speakers!
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2006, 08:47 am by G Georgopoulos »

Bingenito

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2006, 09:10 am »
amazing!
my amps would rock with such speakers!

I agree. You are more than welcome to buy a pair  :wink: :P

Bingenito

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2006, 10:46 am »
Having both the RC5 and the Peridots, how do they compare?

I have had the Perdiot at my place for 12 hrs (7 of which I was sleeping) so it is too soon to do a full comparison. Your question is deserving of a detailed response which will take me about a week to really listen to each speaker with various gear and rooms.

Out of the box I can tell you that they share the same voicing that Selah is known for. The midrange lower treble has a full bodied quality that is rare in magnesium cone/ ribbon based systems. This does differ from the RC5 Seas Nextel cone/ Crescendo dome which in my opinion, is slightly richer sounding. It is all a matter of what you like.

The Peridot’s bass is excellent, very detailed with great extension as the specifications indicate.

Overall I am very pleased with this speaker. I have always recommended the Perdiot to anyone looking for a world class speaker for under $5000. Considering the performance and finish quality it is really an outstanding speaker.

As for the RC5 I would say that with the $2,395 price difference is justified in the overall performance. You get a bigger sound that expands on what the Peridot already delivers so well. For some rooms bigger may not be better and there is no such thing as best. Most people get caught up in this and purchase the wrong speaker for their room.

Stay tuned!

Bryan

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2006, 11:09 am »
Sweet looking speakers, Bryan. :thumb:

Midnite Mick

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2006, 07:41 pm »
Thinking about the Peridots for a future build.  I will be waiting to read your thoughts.

Thank you,
Mike

Bingenito

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2006, 08:11 pm »
My recommendation is to build the kit... seriously there is nothing out there in kit form that will touch these speakers.

Al Garay

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2006, 09:26 pm »
That's high praise. Isn't the RC4 available in a kit? Do you mean kit that's under $2k?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2006, 09:33 pm »
Looks good Bryan !!! :thumb:
I'll see you and Rick in Denver....glad your going !!
             Chris

Bingenito

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2006, 10:46 pm »
Al,

That's high praise. Isn't the RC4 available in a kit? Do you mean kit that's under $2k?

Preaching the truth.... :lol: :P

The RC4 and Peridot are available in kits. The Peridot kit price with the deluxe crossover is $1,225. It sounds "like" the RC4 but with passive woofers vs. active. The RC4 will give you an EQ function and take stress off your current amp since the bass is supported by built in amps. If that is not a priority the Peridot is the way to go for kits.... NO QUESTION :wink:

100 watts seems like plenty for these speakers. The bass has plenty of slam and impact.

Take care!

Bryan

Midnite Mick

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2006, 11:56 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Bryan.  Appreciated.

Mike

Al Garay

« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2006, 03:17 am »
Good answer Bryan. The Peridot fills a nice niche for those who want a diy option as a potential alternative to Jim Salk's HT3.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2006, 04:10 am »
Good answer Bryan. The Peridot fills a nice niche for those who want a diy option as a potential alternative to Jim Salk's HT3.

Very well said Al. There's also a potential 10" 3-way kit for about $1,600 with the Aurasound NS10, Accuton C90-T6, and Fountek ribbon. I've already talked to a few people interested in this combination.

klh

« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2006, 04:33 pm »
That sound nice :)... and not all that expensive given the fine selection of speakers! Will it be tapered with the Fountek at the top? This 3-way has incredible potential... especially if you use the NeoPro5i tweeter.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2006, 04:59 pm by klh »

Frihed91

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2006, 05:20 pm »
How do they sound with your various BC integrateds and power amps?

Bingenito

« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2006, 06:39 pm »
How do they sound with your various BC integrated and power amps?

Incredible :D The Peridots image like crazy. I really like these speakers.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2006, 02:57 am »
That sound nice :)... and not all that expensive given the fine selection of speakers! Will it be tapered with the Fountek at the top? This 3-way has incredible potential... especially if you use the NeoPro5i tweeter.

It's just something on the drawing board - no cabinet design yet.