Channel Islands VHP-1 Review Thread

claud

« on: 6 Oct 2005, 12:49 am »
Several years ago I returned to 2channel audio . When I set up my initial system, I  bought a Headroom Maxed Out Home for my Senn 600s. Really nice little headphone amp until I went to seperates and tuberolled my Cary SLP 2002 with Amperex 7316s. The Cary's tubed preamp headphone output was so smooth and dynamic  I sold the Headroom. About two years ago I upgraded to a Cary SLP-98 pre w/o a headphone output. My Senn 600s w/ "smurf" blue cord have sat unused For almost two years.
 Today I received the CI VHP-1 with its VAC-1 power supply . I plugged it in two hours ago and it just gets better CD by CD. The Cary has two outputs so i used one of my old Luminous Synchestra  Signature ICs. I may try a Gregg Straley IC at some point.  In about two weeks I'll report back with a review. At this point, it is better than my old 1st gen Headroom MOH.

claud

« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2005, 08:51 pm »
OK guys, here's my review/opinion. I ain't returning mine. It don't get no better than that. Out of the box, the first day, they sounded very nice. The second day, they were much more detailed, as if there had been a veil before. I guess that it helps breakin not to have a power button. Since they are always on, they must breakin quicker.
I asked Dusty what was the breakin period on the second day, and he said around 350 hours. Most nights, they would sound a little quicker, more dynamic or smooth. The last two nights, I have played the same song without noticing any changes. I now have more dynamics, slam and soundstage than I have ever experienced with headphones. This amp is dead quiet. There is plenty of detail, but not in a fatiguing way. You just hit play and loose yourself in the music. I can not understand why anyone would spend more on a headphone amp. I guess thats what Channel Islands Audio is all about.
The quality of these components makes me want to try the D100 amps.
This is just my opinion, in my system, so YMMV, but I doubt it.

stryker

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2006, 12:13 am »
I think it's a very nice little amp myself. I have VHP-1/VAC-1 combo going. Plenty of power for my 650s. I think what I like is that its signature is very smooth and engaging. For the price, it is a very good amp indeed. Funny enough, the volume knob stays about the same place for my 650s as it does for my newly aquired AKG K701s. Strange, since the impedence of 650s are 300 Ohms and the 701s are something like 62. Usually, with low Z cans like Grado, I need a lot less gain. However, the 701s just suck it up. Hmmm....

Maybe I will ask Dusty. I know the opamp used is unique and my experiences with headphone amps are with those of a different design. The VHP-1 is designed around a very versatile opamp that can handle high impedance/low current and low impedence/high current headphones. All other amps I've tried need to be turned down quite a bit with low Z headphones. Haven't tried them with Grados yet, though.

chadh

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2006, 02:23 pm »
Just as a matter of interest, what other solid state head-amps have you used previously?

I have a Sugden headmaster doing double duty as a head-amp and pre-amp, and am looking to move to a tubed pre-amp.  I also want to take a solid state head-amp to work.  So, I'm wondering whether to sell the sugden to free up some cash.  I'd want to make sure I wasn't losing much (if anything) in quality moving from the sugden to another s.s. head amp though.

The VHP-1 is an option.  Also the HeadAmp Lite.  Both are around $300.  The Meier Aria goes for $450, but includes a USB DAC.  The MSRP on the Sugden is around $1100 - but price doesn't necessarily mean everything.

Also:  do you have a feeling for how much the VAC-1 improves performance of the VHP-1?

Chad

stryker

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2006, 02:44 am »
I haven't heard the Headmaster, but it's widely held as a very nice ss headamp, especially with some mods. There is a review on the Meier HA-2 and one on the Headroom Max done by Carlo Flores on Positive Feedback Online. Carlo is a guy who does mods to the Sugden as well as Melos SHA-X-based preamp. He knows headamps. He mentions the Headmaster positively in the review.

The HeadAmp Lite supposedly drives high-current low impedance phones like Grados very well (it was designed by Gilmore specifically to drive Grados). I felt it's midrange was too forward but this was with Senn 650s. Bass was okay but not gtreat. Otherwise, a very transparent amp in it's own right.

The Meier HA-2 is detailed and has good bass. However, you need a good source because it will show you everything, warts and all. I believe the Aria is similar-sounding in that it is also based on the LM6171 opamp which is tha same opamp in all Meier amps. They are very good amps but don't expect them to be warm.

If you want to go for the big daddy of tubed headphone amps that can double as a pre-amp, look no further than Singlepower amps. Try a 6SN7-based or 12SN7-based (much cheaper NOS tubes!) Singlepower amp like the Supra is awesome but expect to shell out $1500 for it. The MPX3 comes close and has a little deeper bass due to a higher plate voltage but is much cheaper. The higher-line Singlepowers are extremely transparent amps, but it's all about the tubes you use. You absolutely need NOS tubes for them. I've heard them all the way up to the Maestro-level with NOS tubes and they are sweeeeeeet!

The portable amps from Ray Samuels or Meier might be good for work if you value portability.

For me? After cycling through a lot of the above amps, I've settled on a VHP-1/VAC-1 combo. Yes, it's simpler and may not give me the tube sound, but it does the job just fine. In fact, it's a bargain for the price and I really like its sound. The VAC-1 is absolutely necessary to get the most out of the more power-hungry phones like Senns and Beyers.

There are some DIY builders who are popular on Head-Fi so that's an option too. However, for me, if I really want to improve or change the sound, I just change headphones. Right now I'm in love with the AKG K701s and my 650s have taken a back seat. For now.  :(

chadh

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2006, 10:54 pm »
Guess what just arrived in the mail?  My very own VHP-1 and VAC-1!  I have them snuggled up next to the Sugden headmaster, and will be looking forward to some listening comparisons (if I can ever find some quiet time without the kids).

Chad

audioferret

Listening Now
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2006, 11:30 pm »
I have mine on right now!

I am using the VHP and the VAC1 at work as an office system hooked up to a pair of Grado SR125s and the TivoliAudio ModelCD player.  I will post a review after another 100 hours because I am at about 100hours right now and they are still sounding better.

At first, I noticed a slight ear fatigue while wearing them. Kind'a like an irritation deep in the ear canal.  Not a pain, but a spikey irritation.  I was worried, but it has gone away.  They are getting nicer as they mellow together.  Even in low-gain setting, I only have the volume around the 10:00 point.

chadh

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2006, 05:01 am »
Okay, this is going to be barely coherent.  But I'm so astonished right at the moment, I barely know what to say...

I've had my VHP-1 and VAC-1 for a couple of weeks now, and have found them extremely enjoyable paired with my AKG K501s.  I'm running my stock squeezebox 2 into the headamp, and am finding a much more pleasant sound than from the Sugden headmaster I just sold.  The presentation is smoother but still more dynamic.  In particular, I really get a feel for the attack on notes and a much better sense for the shape of individual sounds.  When somebody whacks a drum, it doesn't just sound like a drum was whacked - the whole texture of drum hit is conveyed.

Anyway, this was all pretty nice, and I was happy with my purchase.  

More recently, I managed to pick up a Revelation Audio Labs power umbilical from somebody on Head-Fi, and I picked up a new pair of interconnects (Seduction Audio all copper) from an Audiogon auction.  So I sat down tonight to listen while changing a bunch of cables in and out.

Now, up to this point I'd been using the stock power umbilical between the VAC-1 and the VHP-1, and I'd been using a pair of Home Grown Audio silver interconnects between the SB2 and VHP-1.  So I swapped the power umbilicals first.  The most obvious effect was an immediate increase in volume, and increased weight in the bass.  But honestly, it didn't seem mindblowing.

Then I took out the HGA interconnects and put in the Seduction audio ones.  And wow, that was much nicer.  There was a real improvement in the way the decay of the notes was presented - clear and delicate decay gave the music more presence.  The Seduction I/Cs were straight out of the bag, too.

Then I swapped the seduction interconnects out and put in a pair of Bolder m-80s.  And I almost cried.  Everything that had been there with the seduction audio interconnects was there again, but it was eveb better.  In addition, I suddenly had this unbelievable bass impact.  This really amazed me, as the K501s are known for being a bit light in the bass.  But this was really eye-opening for me.  I'm not talking about really deep bass  - but obviously bass that was important to me.  

I really listened hard for just two tracks.  The first was "Spain", on Chick Corea's Akoustic Band album.  That whole album is really cool:  Dave Weckl plays a lot of intricate rhythms, John Patitucci plays a really musical bass, and Chick Corea is just awesomely playful on the piano.  The only complaint I have ever had about that album was that it just seemed to lack some weight.  I love pianists who show some real authority with the left hand, and on this album Chick Corea just didn't seem to have that.  The interplay been his right hand and the work that Weckl was doing on the drums really seemed to be what was driving the music.  But now, suddenly, everything changed.  Without losing the dynamic synergy between Weckl and Corea, suddenly the pianist's left hand gained so much more authority and the bass became more prominent.  And all the time, the whole piano sound seemed much more natural.

The second track I listened to was "Single Handed Sailor" on Communique, by Dire Straits.  I love this song, and particularly Mark Knopfler's solo.  There's something really beautiful about the sound he uses, and when I change something around in the system, I like to listen to see if it sounds any better.  Well, the guitar sound wasn't really improved noticably.  BUt vocals certainly seemed richer and more true to life.  And again, the bass just blew me away.  I've always likesd the way this song swings, but with the improved presence in the bass it was like the band was transformed from a rhythm section playing with Mark Knopfler to a band that was really working hard as a whole.

Anyway, these comparisons weren't very scientific, and I'm not sure that anybody should conclude very much about any particular cables used in my little test (especially with the seduction audio cables which were brand spanking new).  But the conclusion I feel strongly about is how much of a difference cabling can make to the listening experience with the VAC-1/VHP-1 pairing.  In reality, it doesn't matter much to me determining which cable/s generated the major differences in the sound.  I just know that things sound much better now that the Bolder m-80 is running to the VHP-1 and the RAL power umbilical is between the VAC and VHP.

Chad