Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

bubba966

« on: 15 Jul 2005, 09:42 am »
Just saw it.

I almost turned down the showing tonight, even though it was free, so that I could see it in IMAX first (and pay $10 to see it in IMAX).

Boy am I glad I saw it for free before paying to see it in IMAX. Because I won't be paying to see it in IMAX as it just wasn't worth it.

My biggest problem with it was Depp. He was absolutely horrible as Wonka. I kept thinking during the movie during every scene that Depp was in that he sucked and someone else would've been much better as Wonka.

'bout half way through I finally figured that Gary Oldman would've been an awesome Wonka.

It looked nice though. The kid that played Charlie was good.

I didn't much care for the new Oompa Loompa songs though. But that wasn't nearly as bad as Depp.

If you've got to see it in a theater for some reason, Don't pay much for it. It's just not worth the expenditure.

I'm not going to say much else at this point as I'm basically sleep typing this right now. So it's time for me to crash now... :sleep:

maxwalrath

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2005, 11:51 am »
I caught it in the IMAX a few days ago and thought it was pretty good. I had the feeling I might not have liked it as much in non-IMAX format.

I think Depp was playing the part Tim Burton wanted him to...and what differences there were from the original were pretty funny.

rosconey

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2005, 08:35 pm »
local paper said depp played the part like he was m jackson :lol: -they didnt care for it-said it was depps worst acting

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2005, 10:27 pm »
Depp was terribly inconsistant in his acting IMO. Which was one of the reasons why I thought he sucked as Wonka. It also seemed like he was trying way too hard to not be Wilder. And in attempting to distance himself from Wilder's Wonka he seemed to forget what he was trying to do with the character.

suits_me

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2005, 01:51 am »
I heard Gene Wilder in an interview say he thought that Christopher Walken would make a good choice. That's a movie I would consider, not this one, thanks.

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2005, 12:48 pm »
That's too bad... I kind of like Depp... He adds a twisted edge to movies that I like.  I kind of figured a remake of a movie that was remade from a book might be a bad idea.

I haven't liked anything by Tim Burton... His movies miss the mark for me.

-C

Mathew_M

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2005, 04:54 pm »
Christopher Walken would of been cool as Wonka.  I don't think that Depp was necessarily mis-cast as Wonka as much as he mis-played the part.  I say this without having seen the movie.   I think when the studios cast him as Wonka they were expecting a charming, whimsical performance like he put in for Pirates.

Unfortunately judging from the trailer I sat through I would have a hard time sitting through the film based on his performance.  

Regarding Tim Burton I have come to the conclusion that he just doesn't fare as well when giveng a big budget.  I really like all of his smaller films like Pee-Wee, Ed Wood, Beetlejuice etc. but stuff like Mars Attacks, Planet of the Apes etc. are really bad.

Carlman

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2005, 05:38 pm »
Quote from: Mathew_M
Regarding Tim Burton I have come to the conclusion that he just doesn't fare as well when giveng a big budget. I really like all of his smaller films like Pee-Wee, Ed Wood, Beetlejuice etc. but stuff like Mars Attacks, Planet of the Apes etc. are really bad.

Oh crap!  I didn't know he did Beetlejuice and Pee-Wee!  Those are both old faves of mine...   In that case, I agree with your comments about big/small budgets... I keep meaning to see Ed Wood but never have... I'll put it on the Netflix list.

I didn't care for Mars Attacks, Planet of the Apes, Nightmare before Christmas, or any of the others I know about. ;)

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2005, 07:07 pm »
Saw it.  It was not good, not bad, simply there.  I guess there is so much one expects with a remake, to hold on to the magic of the original, but then, we as viewers have gotten much older in time.  Our expectations are much higher now or perhaps, our criticisms are sharper.  As an adult, I did not appreciate the story nearly as much as I would have as a child...to prove the point, I saw the amount of viewers, mostly children with their parents.  They clapped as the movie ended.

Deep, I believe had to follow the guidance of Burton, and as many know, he is a little twisted of a story teller and director.

The better comparison people could make when watching the movie is to compare it to a better Burton directed movie.  That should be the better guide of quality or lack of it.  

Paul

LordCloud

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2005, 05:55 pm »
While it wasn't Depp's best acting, I think he played the part wonderfully. Why you all are looking for him to just re-play the original character, I don't know. He seemed to play the part just the way the story called for.

Eric Jones

• http://www.jones4.com
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2005, 04:40 am »
I have to disagree.

I saw this at the IMAX and it was outstanding. The colors and quality were the most vibrant and lifelike I have ever experienced in a theater. (FYI- I frequent the theater an average of 25-30 times year.) It was so breathtaking that at times it appeared to be 3D.

As for the film I loved it too. Don't believe the critic's who generally gave the film a pass and said Depp was too creepy/weird. This is a very delightful film that families can enjoy. I took my 55 yr. old mom, 35 yr. old wife 8 and 5 yr. old daughters. They all loved it. Burton has made his best film in years and it's a hoot. I haven't had that much fun at a movie in a long time. It's full of many subtitle laughs that are there for the adult audience. There are several references to other great films too. I really don't get the Depp/Michael Jackson correlation either. They dress fancy and have white skin but that is it. Depp has created a memorable Wonka and Burton gives some background to help us understand his character a worthy addition that I absolutely loved.

Quite possibly my favorite movie of the summer! A+

-EJ