Five Worst Sci-Fi Movies of all time

PhilNYC

« on: 1 Jul 2005, 06:54 pm »
John C's "top 5" thread got me thinking about this.  So...not including the obvious shlock b-movie sci-fi flicks, what are your top 5 worst sci-fi movies?

Off the top of my head:

Star Trek The Movie
Star Wars Episode III
Dune (the one with Sting)
Event Horizon
Planet of the Apes (remake)

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2005, 07:16 pm »
Star Trek V
Star Trek V
Star Trek V
Star Trek V
Star Trek V

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2005, 08:26 pm »
There are too many bad sci-fi movies for me to list... But here's a small list I've seen relatively recently that I thought were bad to the point that I either left, went to sleep, turned it off, or found extremely difficult to watch to the end...

Blade
Dark City
The Crow
Alien (1 and 2)
Short Circuit
Super Mario Brothers
The Cell
The (insert natural disaster here)
Any snake movies... Anaconda... etc.
Jaws 2
Killer Klowns from Outer Space

rosconey

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2005, 08:39 pm »
attack of the killer tomato's
plan 9 from outer space
the second king kong(jeff bridge's)
godzilla remake
mario bros

Tweaker

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2005, 08:49 pm »
Star Wars Episodes I & II
Boggles my mind that someones list includes the first two Alien movies! But then my list might do the same to someone else.
 For shlock there is none better than Plan 9 From Outer Space and Robot Monster both of which can be purchased at Amazon.com for $14 and change packaged together. Hilariously bad. Sort of a toss up as to which one is the worst movie ever made.

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2005, 09:05 pm »
As to Alien(s)... I just didn't get what was so great about them... I was tired of it and the plot wasn't interesting to me.  But, I think I'm the only one I know that thinks it stinks.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2005, 11:32 pm »
I realize that everybody has different tastes, but I am shocked by some of these choices:

Alien 1 & 2, Blade, The Crow, Star Wars I, II, III

Are these really some of the worst five sci-fi movies you have ever seen?

What about some of these:

Darkman
Willow
Deathrace 2000
Robocop 2 & 3
Alien 3 & Resurrection
The 6th Day
The Lawnmower Man

George

Tweaker

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jul 2005, 12:14 am »
When I say Star Wars I & II remember that I'm not talking about the first two movies  but Episodes I & II which were actually the 4th & 5th movies. Stinkers both of them. Made me wonder if George Lucas had lost his mind. Thank God he had electro-shock treatment or whatever he needed to get back on track with the Revenge Of The Sith, which was pretty good.

Mathew_M

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jul 2005, 12:31 am »
I'm nostalgic for the Star Trek films.   Actually the Motion Picture has been cleaned up and re-edited for DVD and it's not bad.  Sure it's still kind of sloggy but I'm a huge fan of Jerry Goldsmith's score.

What's really bad right now is sci-fi tv series.  At least in my opinion.  There is no originality or imagination put forth anymore.

PhilNYC

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2005, 12:35 am »
zybar...asides from Willow, I liked the rest of those on your list!

Tweaker...I thought Revenge of the Sith was the worst of all 6 movies.  I mean...Darth Vader loses because he can't jump higher than 10ft?  Senseless, the whole thing... :roll:

Mathew...I agree with you re: sci-fi tv, with the exception of the new Battlestar Galactica which seems pretty good to me...

Tweaker

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jul 2005, 01:21 am »
What were you doing trying to make sense of it? My wife and I found it entertaining, what we call a good popcorn movie. No Jar Jar Binks, no atrocious child actors, no aliens with ethnic stereotype accents. Good mindless entertainment. Forgettable but a fun diversion for a couple hours. I can understand how it could make someones stinker list,though.
Speaking of which, here's a couple more:
Lost In Space
The Fifth Element

Hogg

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jul 2005, 02:10 am »
Any of the funnily dubbed Japanese Godzilla variants from the 50's and 60's

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #12 on: 2 Jul 2005, 02:22 am »
Fifth Element?!?  That is one of the BEST Sci-fi movies of all time!  Shortly after 2001 A Space Odyssey.  .  I took film classes and the seques and coincident plot lines, the acting, the character development, effects, scenery, all exceptional.  But the best part was that the movie was ALL about having fun with the genre.  It gets better and better every time you see it.  Don't give your day job as a reviewer!  What many people dismiss half way through as "cheesy" is really "tongue in cheek" fun.  Get with it and watch it again!  Chris Tucker and Gary Oldman are just classic in that thing.  You can't even begin to fully appreciate the movie unless you've seen it 3 times.

PhilNYC

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jul 2005, 02:29 am »
Tweaker...even suspending as much belief as I could, I just found myself rolling my eyes during Episode III.  

John A...I'm sorry, but IMHO the Fifth Element just sucked... :P

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2005, 02:34 am »
Quote from: PhilNYC
John A...I'm sorry, but IMHO the Fifth Element just sucked... :P

Take a film class!!!

PhilNYC

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jul 2005, 02:47 am »
Quote from: John Ashman

Take a film class!!!

I have!  And in fact, asides from being an audio dealer, I've been executive producing independent film for the last two years (my first film is in post-production right now, the other two are in pre-production).  And what it boils down to for me is this...a film can have a great script, fantastic structure, wonderful cinematography, et al...but it can still be a completely non-engaging, non-entertaining film.

Bemopti123

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2005, 02:51 am »
John, time to get "political" in regards to defending The Fifth Element as one of the better SciFi movies.  It plainly sucked.  I guess the scene that drove me off the wall from the movie was the cheesy singing of that blue lady in the space ship, and also the fighting scene.  It seemed to me more of a blend of difference genres, but then, didn't you point out at the fact that it has to do with having fun with the genre?

Other movies for the worst SciFi ever:

Matrix series (d0 not want to sound like a snob, but special effects with a smatering of either Buddhist, Taoist philosophy just do not cut it for me.)

Star Wars I (great beginning, but the music part and also the funny humanoid accents of some of the creatures, plainly did not make the movie interesting.)

Chronicles of Riddick (thought the trailer was much better)

Star Trek Insurrection (it was horrible, cannot believe I paid $9 to watch this piece of garbage, but sometimes there is NOTHING else to watch.)

There are many many other really bad SciFi movies, cannot remember them from memory.

Paul

hmen

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jul 2005, 02:57 am »
Plan Nine From Outer Space - Ed Wood's Classic
Robot Monter - The Monster is a guy wearing a gorilla suit and an old fashioned deep sea diving helmet
The Black Hole - Disney's attempt at heavy scifi from about 1980  
It Conquered The World - Terrible 50's drama about a monster that lands on earth, moves into a cave and wreaks havoc
The Blob - Steve McQueen's debut. During the grand finale when the Blob attacks a packed movie theatre all the exras are laughing while they run from the monster.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #18 on: 2 Jul 2005, 03:05 am »
Fifth Element is a very good sci-fi flick, IMO.  Maybe not a classic in the AFI film sense, but nowhere near any worst-of list.  And a great DVD to boot.

I'm very surprised at many of these selections.  Alien 1 and 2, the Matrix series, the Star Wars series....all are miles beyond any worst-of list, IMO.  Disappointing in that some of them didn't live up to others in the series (Matrix Revolutions, Star Wars Episode 1) but worst ever made?  Comparing them to Plan 9 (so bad it's camp) or Lawnmower Man, or Robocop 3, or AI (disappointing AND bad) or The Black Hole?  To each his own....

But then again, I LOVED Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.  My vote for best sounding DVD of 2005.   :)

Ted

Edit: Hmen, we both named Black Hole...I was typing when you posted.  What a bad movie.

Tweaker

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jul 2005, 03:57 am »
As we are seeing, movies, like music is very much personal taste, but if a film class is required to appreciate a film then something is wrong. In my mind it then comes under the category of pretentious crap. Oh, well, I guess I must be a Philistine.
 I also did not care for Sky Captain. Great visuals but just fell flat for me.
  Remember, the original post was movies besides the obvious shlock movies like Plan 9, (which I love because it's so bad it's brilliant. It almost takes a kind of genius to make something that inept).