DACs to buy going up by the 1000's

2bigears

Re: DACs to buy going up by the 1000's
« Reply #20 on: 4 May 2023, 05:46 pm »
 :D I see the music room has an Aqua for 8500 USD.  Yikes, that's big loot. Tubes for Tyson.
          Bricasti is made in Italy is it not ? Not the states. Lots of used ones for sure.  :D
     I see there is lots of PS Audio used for sale here in Canada and 1 used Spring , both about 4 large .  A Chord Dave here for 9 large,  wowwww :D
    Paradox of Choice ,,,,  :D

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #21 on: 4 May 2023, 06:51 pm »
Before buying a new DAC, you might sign up for the Hapa digital cable tour, it might be your cables holding back your DAC and thus you can save money and not have to buy a new DAC at all.  Worth trying, anyway. 

GerryD

« Reply #22 on: 4 May 2023, 07:11 pm »
I've been enjoying a Gustard R26 for the last month and recommend it.

2bigears

« Reply #23 on: 4 May 2023, 08:04 pm »
 :D Tyson, what are you saying ? The gain I get from 4000 bucks isn't money well wasted ?  Or is it ?  My dac is ten years old or more. It's the sound maker in the system.  New and improved with modern tech and engineering ?    :D

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #24 on: 4 May 2023, 08:09 pm »
Before buying a new DAC, you might sign up for the Hapa digital cable tour, it might be your cables holding back your DAC and thus you can save money and not have to buy a new DAC at all.  Worth trying, anyway.

Tyson,
Using the USB cable here that PEZ sent and made an improvement in my setup!  :)

TomS

« Reply #25 on: 4 May 2023, 08:39 pm »
... Bricasti is made in Italy is it not ? Not the states. Lots of used ones for sure.
Bricasti is made in Massachusetts. It's a fantastic product that stands the test of time and they also happen to be great people to deal with. My M1SE has the MDx digital upgrade to keep it current and a direct ethernet input for easy to use streaming (Qobuz, Tidal, Roon, etc). It's just a solid piece, sounds great, always works, no fuss.

Then there is all the buzz around the Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer/dac at under $1k and does it all.
https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2023/05/02/eversolo-dmp-a6-streamer-and-dac-review-insane/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #26 on: 5 May 2023, 12:34 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: 19 May 2023, 11:34 am by JLM »

TonyinBerkeley

« Reply #27 on: 5 May 2023, 05:11 pm »

I have been more than pleased with the Denafrips Pontus II DAC this past year. 

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #28 on: 5 May 2023, 08:12 pm »
:D I see the music room has an Aqua for 8500 USD.  Yikes, that's big loot. Tubes for Tyson.
          Bricasti is made in Italy is it not ? Not the states. Lots of used ones for sure.  :D
     I see there is lots of PS Audio used for sale here in Canada and 1 used Spring , both about 4 large .  A Chord Dave here for 9 large,  wowwww :D
    Paradox of Choice ,,,,  :D

Bricasti is an american company based in Massachusetts. The name Bricasti is made up of the initials of the 3 guys that formed the company.  I met Brian, one of the owners at Axpona.  The products are made there.

The Aqua La Scala is worth it.  You have to hear it for yourself.  Aqua DAC's are made in Italy.  But they apparently have a good network here in the U.S..

2bigears

« Reply #29 on: 5 May 2023, 08:42 pm »
 :D my old dac sounds pretty dam good doing late night sessions to be sure.  I can only imagine a new modern ladder.  The Spring is 1/2 the price of that Italian beauty.  I really need to pony up for the Holo as if it's a sideways move or little returns,  it's an easy resell. But if these new dacs are all they say,  holy shit my ears will be tickled deep into the grey matter. And if I don't lay out close to 4500 for the Holo, a Pontus 2 is half that price.  That dac is getter no headlines for value.  :D

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #30 on: 5 May 2023, 08:51 pm »
:D my old dac sounds pretty dam good doing late night sessions to be sure.  I can only imagine a new modern ladder.  The Spring is 1/2 the price of that Italian beauty.  I really need to pony up for the Holo as if it's a sideways move or little returns,  it's an easy resell. But if these new dacs are all they say,  holy shit my ears will be tickled deep into the grey matter. And if I don't lay out close to 4500 for the Holo, a Pontus 2 is half that price.  That dac is getter no headlines for value.  :D

You can't go wrong with the Holo May.   Would you be using usb or ethernet?  It is all about personal preferences and system synergy.

I would love to hear a Weiss DAC.  I like the fact that it has DSP and a Deesser to help remove sibilance. But it is $10K.

newzooreview

« Reply #31 on: 5 May 2023, 09:04 pm »
The Holo May KTE has been the foundation of my system. If I had twice the money to spend, I do expect I could hear a bit more, but I never sense anything missing or lacking. It's also in balance with my Spatial M3 Sapphires in terms of cost.

Even though the Holo May has a separate power supply, it sprang to life with the addition of the Puritan 156 power conditioner. It replaced an AudioQuest Niagara 3000 and has been a revelation. Obviously, benefits will differ depending on the types of gremlins in your A/C.

If seeking to improve on the Holo May, I would look at MSB, dCS, or T+A DAC 200. But I'm very content with the Holo May.

Ron D

« Reply #32 on: 5 May 2023, 10:03 pm »
IIRC you are north of the border as I am and over at Canuckaudiomart there is Holo May KTE (with a redundant, to you, preamp option) and a Denafrips Terminator II. Something to be said for buying "in-country" if either meet your needs. 2 dacs you don't see often for sale up here...

kmmd

• My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #33 on: 5 May 2023, 10:16 pm »
         I have an old Mac mini with the Tranquility special and cable dac. VAC pre and Pass x250 driving ProAc D48's.  I have Spatial Sapphires in boxes waiting.  My TT is a P9 Rega. XX2 cart.

There are lots of great recs for DACs in this thread, but please don’t overlook where it all starts in your chain.  I’d definitely consider getting rid of the mini, as its priority is not music.  I started with a Mac Mini and even converted it to DC while waiting for my Paul Hynes SR7 power supply.  When it finally arrived, I ran Roon with it.  But it’s still a mini. I purchased a dedicated server / streamer in the Auralic Aries G2.1, and it was much better than the Mini.  My Aurender N20 is better still.  So please do consider upgrading from your Mac, and maybe think about a streamer / DAC combo.

jpm

« Reply #34 on: 5 May 2023, 10:41 pm »
So please do consider upgrading from your Mac, and maybe think about a streamer / DAC combo.

Good suggestion. I questioned how much difference the transport (streamer) would make but the streamer section of my Lumin D2 was a surprising upgrade over an ultraRendu. I use the D2's DAC section with an old integrated and haven't made any comparisons yet.

2bigears

« Reply #35 on: 5 May 2023, 11:11 pm »
 :D the mini is for directing the music. 1500 CDs in my storage device. I know zero about Roon. Can you pick and choose from your library with Roon ?  Whenever you upgrade the dac, the source should match ,,  :D
     I should buy the Spring as it's 100 miles away and even has the preamp module. Last dac I ever buy. Like Larry says:  Getter Done,, ha.    :weights:

WGH

« Reply #36 on: 5 May 2023, 11:43 pm »
I should buy the Spring as it's 100 miles away and even has the preamp module. Last dac I ever buy.

You are going to love the Spring!   :banana piano: :hyper:  :dance:  :beer:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #37 on: 6 May 2023, 12:37 am »
:D the mini is for directing the music. 1500 CDs in my storage device. I know zero about Roon. Can you pick and choose from your library with Roon ?  Whenever you upgrade the dac, the source should match ,,  :D
     I should buy the Spring as it's 100 miles away and even has the preamp module. Last dac I ever buy. Like Larry says:  Getter Done,, ha.    :weights:

To me, the May sounded much better than the Spring.  The Spring sounded thin and bright.  The May is full sounding and neutral.  A friend of mine bought the Spring and then bought the Aqua La Scala to replace it.  He recently added the Aqua LinQ.

But, I guess you could alway flip Spring if you don't like it.

JackD

« Reply #38 on: 6 May 2023, 01:04 am »
Pascal

Go get the Spring 3 KTE with the preamp module and be done.  Again I own both the Spring 3 KTE and the May KTE and have listened to them side by side in two separate systems that I own and not someone else's.  They do not sound different from each other when partnered with the same equipment in the same environment.  Since I own them both already I would have no reason to tell you they sound the same if they didn't.  Due to the extra external power supply the May may likely measure better and if you listened to them long enough back and forth that extra power supply does give the May a slight heft advantage in the lower end on some material but their basic sonic signature is the same.  And yes the La Scala and it's little brother the La Voce S3 are also great DAC's and you really can't go wrong with any of the four but it comes down to availability and how much you are willing to pay.  With the "local" Spring 3 you will also have the option of trying it with it's own preamp module and your own VAC and decide which suits you when.

2bigears

« Reply #39 on: 6 May 2023, 01:20 am »
 :D isn't it funny. One reviewer had both units and said they are soooo very young close. Not worth the 0.05% gain of a power supply outta the box.  That preamp mod would be interesting to. A tiny little board to replace the 2 box VAC,  seems impossible to me. Truly does. How can a little 4 inch square board do the work of a large two box old school tube pre ?  Haha.  If it does, I'm blown away by the tech wizardry!   :D