Power Connectors

Escott1377

Power Connectors
« on: 21 Mar 2021, 12:33 am »
FYI - these are a steal right at Parts Connexion.  I whipped up a couple of cables with these yesterday and they are the best that I have ever worked with.

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Power Connectors
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2021, 12:36 pm »
Are they 'UL' approved?

Escott1377

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2021, 02:17 pm »
No.  But I do make the ground wire longer in case it is disconnected and a lead comes out.  Also I heat shrink the connectors with 4:1 1 1/2” to keep from separating.  As long the connectors are not pulled by the cable, there should be no issue.

I don’t know of any custom cables that carry the UL rating.  The lower end Shunyata that is made via molded press carries the approval.

Should be the whole assembly is UL rated and not just the connectors which were the items that I posted about.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2021, 05:16 pm »
I have 4 pair of power cords with these connectors. I like them because they're aesthetically appealing, quite hefty, and fit snugly. Not sure about the quality of the rhodium plating, but they're definitely worth every penny. 

On a similar note, I don't know why manufacturers haven't developed a better design for AC connectors. The wire screw-in approach seems outdated. 

Wig

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2021, 07:28 pm »
I have been using these connectors for 2 years and find them equivalent to my Furutech FI-11M Rhodium plugs.

Wig :thumb:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2021, 08:49 pm »
I almost bought these the other day just because they're so pretty. Makin me take another look.

Nice price. Cheap and cheerful?

Escott1377

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2021, 09:00 pm »
I almost bought these the other day just because they're so pretty. Makin me take another look.

Nice price. Cheap and cheerful?

$60 is cheap and cheerful in my opinion.  Especially comparing them to anything else in that price range.  It is a great deal.

Escott1377

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2021, 09:03 pm »
I am a fan of the Supra Lorad 12 AWG cable that goes for $22 / meter on EBay.  2 meter cable with these connectors and it is a sub $100 cable.  A little bit of tech flex and heat shrink and it is impressive looking and I think the cable performs extremely well - IMO.

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2021, 10:00 pm »
I am a fan of the Supra Lorad 12 AWG cable that goes for $22 / meter on EBay.  2 meter cable with these connectors and it is a sub $100 cable.  A little bit of tech flex and heat shrink and it is impressive looking and I think the cable performs extremely well - IMO.

Very cool.

Not sure if it matters, but if you want to spend a little more money on wire, try this: https://www.partsconnexion.com/NEOTECH-70451.html

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2021, 03:02 pm »
Not having a 'UL' symbol is automatic disqualification for use in the US.

Escott1377

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2021, 05:28 pm »
Not having a 'UL' symbol is automatic disqualification for use in the US.

The UL or ETL listing has nothing to do with the component that I first posted about.  It’s the entire assembly that would have to be UL / ETL tested to carry that listing.

I sell applied air conditioning equipment, my electronic expansion valve may not not be UL rated but the entire assembly of the chiller that it is going into will carry the rating.

Again, as I stated before, you are derailing the original topic of my post.