Cheap and cheerful cable risers!!!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Cheap and cheerful cable risers!!!
« on: 31 Jan 2021, 11:12 pm »
These apparently come in colors and styles, good for Spouse Acceptance Factor situations...  Seem very popular on Galveston Island.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Cheap and cheerful cable risers!!!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2021, 11:13 am »
Those are some really thick speaker cables, the very definition of fire hose cables.

I'm using four of those bed frame risers I got at Goodwill for $2.99, they work great.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2021, 11:26 am »
In nearly 50 years at this I've not found a single tweak that is beneficial, including various cable risers. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2021, 02:50 pm »
In nearly 50 years at this I've not found a single tweak that is beneficial, including various cable risers.

They were $2.99, are you protecting me from being ripped off by Goodwill?   :lol:  I admit to only hearing ephemeral effects with cable risers, other things have made very noticeable improvements.  I'd also note that the intent of the thread was humor.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2021, 03:20 pm »
Cheapest and most likely to cause discussion is to use empty toilet paper tubes as risers. cut them in half and snip a pair of U or V shaped slots place on end slot up, place cable on. Free except for a little time involved.
If toilet paper tubes causes distress among those unable to dissociate from the use/origins of the tube... use paper towel roll tubes...
If you like them, paint them black.. buying the paint raises the cost from zero to a few bucks..
If you are really lazy, just use the tubes as is, (instead of cutting them) laid down and the wires over the roller like tubes.
Other folks use shot glasses, bits of wood (I now use exotic wood blocks myself)

twitch54

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2021, 05:06 pm »

wrong, cable risers do make vacuuming/floor cleaning much easier ......... :thumb:

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 1 Feb 2021, 06:29 pm »
On "not hearing weaks do anything"
Before I moved up to Magnepan 20.7 speakers(from Magnepan 3.6) I was not as able to hear too many minor changes. After the 20.7's were broken in I was able to hear a lot more subtle details and small changes in the tweaks.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 1 Feb 2021, 08:10 pm »
Cheapest and most likely to cause discussion is to use empty toilet paper tubes as risers. cut them in half and snip a pair of U or V shaped slots place on end slot up, place cable on. Free except for a little time involved.
If toilet paper tubes causes distress among those unable to dissociate from the use/origins of the tube... use paper towel roll tubes...
If you like them, paint them black.. buying the paint raises the cost from zero to a few bucks..
If you are really lazy, just use the tubes as is, (instead of cutting them) laid down and the wires over the roller like tubes.
Other folks use shot glasses, bits of wood (I now use exotic wood blocks myself)

"Paint it black you Devil" Sorry could not resist. Rolling Stones.

charles

Mike-48

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2021, 06:11 am »
I almost said, "Me, too," but then I remembered one. With my previous DAC and streamer, image stability improved when I added a reclocker (Mutec MC-3+USB). Interestingly, when I changed the DAC, the sound was no longer better with the Mutec in the circuit.

But over 50 or so years for me, too, the experience with tweaks has been poor.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2021, 11:18 am »

I had saved up a few to do that very thing, using only the nice round ones that hadn't been crimped in any way, but then found the bed frame risers at Goodwill.  Filled up the rest of the kitchen trash with the rolls I had saved.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2021, 02:22 pm »
Lifters for a smaller cable:

dflee

« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2021, 03:11 pm »
I'll bet that really keeps the shit flowing.

Don

twitch54

« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2021, 03:49 pm »
I'll bet that really keeps the shit flowing.

Don

:lol:  and it looks like downhill as well !