FS:Von Schweikert Audio VR-5 HSE *Speakers*Reduced $2,999.00

Audiophile

Audiophile

Audiophile

Audiophile

Still available!

Audiophile

jonbee

I just wanted to add another piece of info here.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I owned a pair of these for a couple of years, a long time for me. They are competitive with anything I've owned in my 49 years in the hobby, as this recent experience has shown.
I recently sold my pair, not because I wasn't pleased sonically but I made the mistake of showing my wife a pair of Avalon Opus in myrtlewood burl being sold locally. Pure eye candy. She fell in love with the looks and I bit the bullet.
The Avalons sold new for $17,500 and are well regarded. They were conceived as a smaller version of Eidolons.
Sonically, the Opus are excellent; not perfect, but wonderful overall. That said, overall they are not greatly better than the HSEs, mostly just different. There are definite tradeoffs.
The Opus, with ceramic mids and tweets, are somewhat faster (fastest I've ever heard, in fact), but with that comes a leanness where the HSEs are liquid. The HSEs sound a bit more like live music, with a bit more palpability, the Opus like very accurate but dryer renderings of the recordings. The HSEs have about the same bass depth (~mid-20s), but are flatter, less boomy from the midbass on down. On top, the Accuton ceramic tweeter is uncompromisingly accurate, the Excel in the HSE easier and more lifelike, while retaining excellent fine detail.
After a few weeks I'm still not 100% satisfied with balance from the Opus, whereas I felt I had near perfect balance from the HSEs.
So- if you don't want to spend 2 or 3 times the asking price of these HSEs on used speakers but want truly first class sound, you won't do better than these HSEs for the $.
BTW, I have a new old stock spare midrange for the HSEs that I'll part with upon request. The tweeters are still in production.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2017, 05:50 pm by jonbee »

Audiophile

I just wanted to add another piece of info here.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I owned a pair of these for a couple of years, a long time for me. They are competitive with anything I've owned in my 49 years in the hobby, as my recent experience showed.
I recently sold my pair, not because I wasn't pleased sonically but I made the mistake of showing my wife a pair of Avalon Opus in myrtlewood burl. Pure eye candy. She fell in love with the looks and I bit the bullet.
The Avalons sold new for $17,500 and are well regarded. They were conceived as a smaller version of Eidolons.
Sonically, the Opus are excellent; not perfect, but wonderful overall. That said, overall they are not greatly better than the HSEs, mostly just different. There are definite tradeoffs.
The Opus, with ceramic mids and tweets, are somewhat faster (fastest I've ever heard, in fact), but with that comes a leanness where the HSEs are liquid. The HSEs sound a bit more like live music, with a bit more body, the Opus like very accurate but dryer renderings of the recordings. The HSEs have about the same bass depth (~mid-20s), but are flatter, less boomy from the midbass on down. On top, the Accuton ceramic tweeter is uncompromisingly accurate, the Excel in the HSE easier and more lifelike, while retaining excellent fine detail.
After a few weeks I'm not 100% satisfied with balance from the Opus, whereas I felt I had near perfect balance from the HSEs.
So- if you don't want to spend 2 or 3 times the asking price of these HSEs but want truly first class sound, you won't do better than these HSEs for the $.
BTW, I have a brand new spare midrange for the HSEs that I'll part with upon request. The tweeters are still in production.

Thanks for the support! The HSE's are truly a special speaker that's more than held its own against speakers costing much much more.

Audiophile

Hi All,

Lower price!!!

$3,099.00

Audiophile

Hi All,

Lower price!!!

$3,099.00

Audiophile

Hi All,

There has to be someone out there who wants this fantastic deal??

Lower price!!!

Price reduced to $2,999.00 and will now ship CONUS at buyers expense.

Escott1377

I just posted this to a FB group to hopefully garner some interest for you.

Your price is steal on those speakers.

Good luck.

Audiophile

I just posted this to a FB group to hopefully garner some interest for you.

Your price is steal on those speakers.

Good luck.

Thanks so much! I appreciate the support. I really do believe they are a steal for the price.

Thanks again,
Paul
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2017, 11:09 pm by Audiophile »

Charles Calkins

Audiophile:

The word is STEAL!! Not STEEL!!!
    Just kidding Bro. I have an earlier version of your speakers.
     They sound great!! SO!!! I'm not in the market for new speakers.
      If I were I'd buy these from you in SECONDS!!
      Good luck on selling them. They are a STEAL!! at this price.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

Audiophile

Audiophile:

The word is STEAL!! Not STEEL!!!
    Just kidding Bro. I have an earlier version of your speakers.
     They sound great!! SO!!! I'm not in the market for new speakers.
      If I were I'd buy these from you in SECONDS!!
      Good luck on selling them. They are a STEAL!! at this price.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

:duh: Thanks Charlie!   :D

Charles Calkins

audiophile:

One more bit of info. you should have. Did I read that you don't have the original shipping carton?
  If you find a buyer I suggest you take take them to a UPS store. Have them pack the speakers and shipped.
   Years ago I bought a Mac 352 amp from a guy in Texas. He shipped them through UPS. They packed the amp.
  When it got here it was trashed!! Cost $ 600.00 for repairs. UPS paid for repairs because they had packed it
  shipped it to me. Can't beat that Service!!

Cheers
                                                Charlie

Audiophile

audiophile:

One more bit of info. you should have. Did I read that you don't have the original shipping carton?
  If you find a buyer I suggest you take take them to a UPS store. Have them pack the speakers and shipped.
   Years ago I bought a Mac 352 amp from a guy in Texas. He shipped them through UPS. They packed the amp.
  When it got here it was trashed!! Cost $ 600.00 for repairs. UPS paid for repairs because they had packed it
  shipped it to me. Can't beat that Service!!

Cheers
                                                Charlie

HI Charlie,

I now have crates, boxes and shipping material to ship if needed.

Thanks,
Paul

Audiophile

Audiophile

2oldcranks

Sent Ya a pm with couple ?

Craig

Audiophile