Built in RCA's too short. Best solution?

SoCalWJS

Built in RCA's too short. Best solution?
« on: 14 May 2017, 08:07 pm »
I recently got my old Sony PSX7 up and running after about 30 years of gathering dust with a frozen motor (Yea!!).

I temporarily placed it where it was close enough to the preamp to connect the built-in RCA cables and gave it a listen when it came back from repair to see if everything did indeed work. After confirming this, I noticed that with my current setup, there really is no place close enough to put the turntable for the cables to reach. I know I can always just place some female to female RCA connectors on the ends, then run another set of RCA's that are long enough to reach, but I am concerned that this is not a good solution (signal loss, grounding issues, etc).

Is there another solution? I am not confident enough in my skills to take the Table apart and put in some RCA jack's on the back of it.

:scratch:

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Built in RCA's too short. Best solution?
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2017, 09:23 pm »
As long as the extension makes clean contact and you're not looping 20 feet of cabling around like an antenna, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2017, 02:37 am »
Do a test. Make the TT able to temporarily sit close enough to use without extensions.
(even a cardboard box and a board can make do...)
THEN listen to it with an extension of an adapter and extra cable.
See how it sounds with and without (leaving the TT in the same close temporary location.)
LISTEN FOR YOURSELF and then decide.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2017, 03:50 am »
I know I can always just place some female to female RCA connectors on the ends, then run another set of RCA's that are long enough to reach, but I am concerned that this is not a good solution (signal loss, grounding issues, etc).

Is there another solution? I am not confident enough in my skills to take the Table apart and put in some RCA jack's on the back of it.

:scratch:

If it's turntable to phono longer rca's (requirement) than before,yes you could have some extra noise in the signal,take it back to the repairer to rectify it to original specs.

If too short (rca) there is probably still some kind of fault patch up by the repairer

lastly,imho,you've been conned by repairer