Anyone actually test the ATI Class D amps in their home?

boe

Hello,

It seems odd but I can't find 1 single professional review - just fact sheet announcements about their class D amps.   I'd like to hear from anyone who has RECENTLY tried a class D amp.    I tried some years ago and didn't like them but their tech is probably the most changed in the years since I last tried them.   Maybe they still suck - I don't know.   Most of the dealers that I used to go to are gone now.

Oscillate

Re: Anyone actually test the ATI Class D amps in their home?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2016, 03:41 pm »
"Hypex N-Core NC-500 Class D amplifier modules with ATI's custom input buffer insures edge-of-the-art operation."

Sounds like ATI is using quality components. All the ATI amplifiers I have seen (I once owned the
7125) are built like tanks, durable and reliable. Also, I have never heard anything but good things
about the sound quality from Hypex N-Core modules.

Thanks for bringing my attention to these class Ds from ATI :)

lowtech

« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2016, 04:05 pm »
They are brand new but quickly becoming a favorite for driving Linkwitzlab speakers.

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 21 Nov 2016, 04:28 pm »
Never-mind.  I answered my own question.  :duh:
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2016, 05:57 pm by Don_S »

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2016, 02:07 pm »
I recently saw this when I went to look up some info on my AT2007.  Pretty cool if you ask me and I'd be very curious to try them out.   I have owned 4 ATI amp, 2 of which I still own (AT1505, AT1504, AT2007, AT6003).   The 1505 was the first real amp I ever owned way back in '00 or thereabouts.  I've done the audiophile merry-go-round for years, with big ventures into tubes and digital amps, but ATI amps are neutral, bullet-proof (that is a big consideration in his engineering), reasonably priced, and measure well, so when it came to amps for my HT, I went back to ATI. 

I'd say that Morris Kessler, who is a very competent engineer, to choose the ncore modules says a lot about his confidence in the design.  It is interesting that he stuck with linear power, but not shocking. 

The other thing I noticed is that he is using "NC500" modules and his power output is 300w/4ohms (unless you opt for the dual modules per channel) whereas the OEM NC400 is 400w/4ohms.   That seems a bit odd in naming.   Or maybe he is being much more conservative on power rating....or his linear power supply is the limiter. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2016, 02:36 am »
Probably too new for reviews, but ATI rep is without par. Linear power supply is probably what's gonna make them sound better than most of the competition. Its hard and expensive to make a really good switching power supply.

Davey

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2016, 03:55 am »
Or maybe he is being much more conservative on power rating....or his linear power supply is the limiter.

Yes, most likely.
I suspect this is a result of the secondary voltage ratings of their stock of existing power transformers (which they build themselves BTW) and for possible usage in other models as well.

I wouldn't hold my breath for glowing reviews from "professionals" though.  ATI amps have been the target of many a snide comment by nose-in-the-air audiophiles and unqualified "reviewers".......some on this forum.  :)

Dave.

DS-21

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2016, 05:21 am »
The other thing I noticed is that he is using "NC500" modules and his power output is 300w/4ohms (unless you opt for the dual modules per channel) whereas the OEM NC400 is 400w/4ohms.   That seems a bit odd in naming.   Or maybe he is being much more conservative on power rating....or his linear power supply is the limiter.

If you dig deeper the rating is 300W continuous, 450W burst (CEA2006). I suspect that most stated ratings are simply max (burst) power.

ATI amps have been the target of many a snide comment by nose-in-the-air audiophiles and unqualified "reviewers".......some on this forum.  :)

That seems to have changed a bit. The 6000-series amps, in particular, have favorable reviews.