Need some networking advice with my Auralic Aries and Roon too

abernardi

I'm getting confused and feeling in a little over my head with networking.  This is what I'm working with:

2007 24" iMac running El Capitan as my main computer
2011 Mac Mini running El Capitan with two 5TB WD Mybooks External hard drives for media (one used as a backup)
Auralic Aries
AT&T Uverse modem/router
TP Link TL-SG108 8 port gigabit switch
Roon Core is running on the Mac Mini
Roon client is running on the iMac

I have everything hard wired in a LAN controlled by the AT&T router via the switch.  The iMac is at my desk and do most of my controlling from their.  The Mac Mini and hard drives and Aries are all by my audio components and I operate the Mac Mini headless from the iMac.

So, looking to take it a step up in quality, I'm reading that it's better to go wireless with the Aries and at T.H.E. Show in Newport earlier this month, the guy in the Auralic room confirmed wireless would be cleaner.  However, when I try to go wireless, I get dropouts and he suggested I get a separate wireless router, specifically the Netgear R7000.  But I'm not sure exactly where to insert the router and how to configure it.
I initially thought I'd just hard wire directly to the Mac Mini, but then I wouldn't have a hard wire connection to the rest of my LAN, unless I got another switch?  I want to stay hard wired to everything except the Aries.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

On another note, I've been hearing rumors that the Aries actually sounds better using it's own Lightening DS software compared to Roon, as it uses a different protocol?  Is that right?  Tell me it isn't so, I'm really, really digging Roon.  It's one of the best pieces of software I've come across in a very long time, it just seems to think like I do.

THANKS!

Mike-48

I've tried the Aries wired and wireless both. In my system, I thought wireless was better, but before that, I used wired happily for at least a year. The difference isn't huge.

The software used shouldn't make a difference. Basically, the software sends a URL for the file to the Aries, and the Aries plays the file.

HTH

Mike-48

Oops, I was talking about software such as Open Home and DLNA control points. I am not sure about Roon, but I would expect that it is just fine. The Aries is buffering everything, anyway.

Audio is full of rumors about things sounding much better than other things. Most of that is small differences, and often what is better to one pair of ears is worse or insignificant to another -- or on different recordings.

Just as background: I have a lot of time and money invested in audio, and I appreciate good sound and love music. I've had both a professional mastering engineer and some very experienced audiophiles really love my system, as well as every musician who's heard it. IMO: Most of the changes that keep the Internet buzzing today are not musically significant, or are less different than you would get by moving your chair 6 inches.