Mirage speakers are not dead

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
Mirage speakers are not dead
« on: 9 Apr 2015, 04:53 pm »
Just FYI for anyone interested:

I stated some time ago here on AC that Mirage was dead.  I stand corrected.  I spoke to Klipsch group today while ordering a Mirage replacement tweeter due to SNAFU on my part.   They told me that Audiovox (Voxx) has put production of Mirage "on hold" but has not killed the brand.  Future production of Mirage is still possible at this point.  I consider the Mirage OMD-15 and OMD-28 floorstanders some of the best bargains in audio history at current prices on Amazon and Woot.

Phil A

Re: Mirage speakers are not dead
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2015, 05:11 pm »
Always liked their earlier speakers.  I owned a pair of SM-3 many moons ago that looked just like these - http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/140789-mirage_sm3_floorstanders_see_photo/images/164121/

guest61169

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2015, 05:23 am »
Thanks.  Too bad they aren't as cheap in their country of origin than they are in the USA. 

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2015, 01:22 pm »
They were originally made in Canada (at least the early models).  When I bought the SM-3s (pic in link of my other post), I was really taken back by their sonic performance.  I wanted Dahlquist DQ10s (always wanted a pair) but didn't have the room and their sound was reminiscent enough of them in something that would fit in my room and were reasonable.  Was really impressed by the one contact I had with their customer service too.  Bought my brother the smaller bookshelves (believe they were the SM-1s and were designed by Kevin Voecks but could be wrong).  The products of the company evolved nicely and then they seemed to move away from the B&M high end store environment to sell to everyone.

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2015, 01:45 pm »
I have Mirage OM-6 with the accompanying Om-C2 and and OM-? for center and surrounds in my second system and love them!

So glad to hear this news!

Have had these speakers since around 2000, put them in sorage for years and brought them back out for this second system a few years ago... There is a level of enjoyment with them that I don't get from my 2ch room. Just a different part of brain for listening. The Om-6 with their 2 powered 8" long throw woofers on the bottom are very versatile in this small 11x13 room.

I love their warm and fat sound and the bi or omni polar setup makes much more depth and space than I would get from having a conventional front fireing speaker in this space.

I truly love these speakers!

Glad to know, if I ever need a repair, there is somewhere to look.