The Judge

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
The Judge
« on: 1 Feb 2015, 07:43 pm »
Anyone else seen this?
Watched it last night and have to say one of the best movies I have seen.
Robert Duvall is outstanding as is Robert Downey.

ajzepp

Re: The Judge
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2015, 10:45 am »
You must have read my mind...I saw it last night. Hit a little too close to home, but still enjoyed it. Solid flick.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 3 Feb 2015, 06:07 am »
Overall I liked the film, but I think it's flawed.  It has a "Lifetime"/"movie of the week" quality to it.  And it bogs down a bit with too many story lines (eg. paternity mystery, old flame, coming home, prodigal son, distant father, etc).  It puts too many balls in the air to keep them all aloft IMO.  Still the movie has some amazing performances.  Duvall has been one of the best actors alive since before I was born!  He's amazing here, no doubt.  Downey is also fantastic.  He kind of plays the same character he's made a living playing though- if he had an Iron Man suit in his closet it wouldn't seem out of place.

Still I very much enjoyed the film.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2015, 11:03 pm »
I just caught this on a flight out west from Toronto.

I was not sure what to expect, I had read this thread, and it was the only movie that I had not yet seen.

I liked the performances of all.

Downey - While I agree that some of the Iron Man smugness was there, I felt he did a decent job isolating that character from a related one in this flick.  He certainly was easy to dislike initially!  Loved the high school photo in the year book - totally reminded me of his Less Than Zero character!

Farmiga - loved her in Up in the Air, and I felt she played her role in this one well too.

Duvall - well done, as I would expect of an actor of his caliber.

Thornton - I am not always a fan, but I loved how he countered some of the smugness of Downey in certain scenes.  He played his role well here too.

Shepard.  Yes, Dax Shepard - I don't recall EVER seeing him in a non comedy role, or at least one I could only take as comedy.  He was good as a local lawyer who seemed out of place in the heat of the main portion of the story.  Believable.

7/10 overall from me, though Rotten Tomatoes is panning this flick.