Fairweather vs. Pacman is on I've just read . .

Eugene2

Re: Fairweather vs. Pacman is on I've just read . .
« Reply #20 on: 16 Apr 2015, 04:07 pm »
Repeating myself here but...
Manny can win if he fights the right fight. This consists of- first and foremost- working the body and not falling into Floyd's trap of tricking guys into headhunting. He shows opponents enough openings so they think, "I can box with this guy!" Once you do that, he's got you. Most fighters take the bait. Pacman may be disciplined enough not to. Floyd gets hit more now. Castillo, Ortiz (until he f***ed up), Mosley (OK, for one round, but he almost KO'd him in that one round), Cotto, a used-up Oscar, and even the totally unskilled Maidana were all able to put varying degrees of pressure on him. Manny is a better pressure fighter than any of those guys. He can do it if he sticks to Roach's fight plan.
Hard to pick against an undefeated, future first-ballot hall of famer, but as I told my nephew, do you know how many "unbeatable" fighters I've seen get beat?

Sounds good but flawed against Mayweather, Manny is very susceptible to straight rights, focus on Mayweathers body and he will roll with the body shots.  Focusing on the body sounds good but it opens Manny up to his weakness the straight right.  Mayweather has a stronger chin then many people realize, review the shot Mosely hit him with, a straight right flush from a pretty good puncher, he was shaken but did not go down and recovered quickly.  Manny has to use the tactic Duran used against Leonard in the first fight sucker him in to a brawl, which Maiden tried unsuccessfully or hope to catch him early.  What worries me about Manny is his fights against Marquez, which I thought he lost all but one, Marquez is smart and can box just like May.  Mayweather is practicing that straight right so much I am afraid his brittle hands may cause a delay in this fight...
ps- jimdgoulding, there is no rematch clause in the contract.

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 17 Apr 2015, 12:41 am »
dB- love your take.  I'm amazed, however, there isn't a rematch clause (???)

Hell, it took almost six years to get him to agree to fight him once. If Mayweather loses, bet your ass he'll be howling for a rematch, especially if there is the slightest controversy.

Yeah, good points, but I disagree that Marquez can box "just like May". He can box but not "like Mayweather". He also hits harder I think. Floyd is the odd man out in the family. His father and uncle had good power, not so good chins. Floyd has good chin, not so good power. I don't think a kayo is likely. Straight right needs room to work. Manny needs to walk through Floyd's counterpunches, glue himself to FM's chest and wail away, and keep the fight at a faster pace than FM wants. Yeah it carries the risk of the straight right. He has to take the risk. Floyd's strategy is to steal rounds. We'll see whose strategy pays off.

Now we just gotta hope neither of these guys slips in the bathtub over the next couple weeks.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #22 on: 20 Apr 2015, 07:45 pm »
Tell you something I learned while in the military from modestly educated young black men of meager means and who got emotional when they drank and confided in me . . “Jim, if you’re black, you must never, NEVER lose a fight to a white boy”.   

This is one of the reasons Mayweather will be victorious at the curtain of this rivalry.  Manny has experienced class oppression, but it wasn’t at the hands of people of a different color.  Mayweather MUST win.  I think he believes that Manny is the white boy’s champion even if Manny is oblivious.  I know, I'm sorta thinking all over the place.

Everything being on the up and up, Mayweather should win on skills and motivation, imo.  He's the one with something to prove.  But, I love youse guys takes!  Manny could out hustle him.  He's a worker.  One of my friends has ordered this so I get to see it free of charge :D.

dB Cooper

« Reply #23 on: 20 Apr 2015, 09:05 pm »
Ali was unbeatable. Then he got beat. Foreman was unbeatable. Then he got beat. Tyson was unbeatable. Then he got beat. Trinidad was unbeatable. Then he got beat.

All it takes is the right guy, on the right night, fighting the right fight. That's all I'm saying.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 20 Apr 2015, 09:58 pm »
dB, make no mistake, me and others respect all you've said to date, I'm pretty sure.  I'm damn sure not dissing you.  Just taking a little poetic license is all.  The Packmeister may win it flat out.  I wouldn't bet that he won't.  I expect he'll be the busier and doesn't seem that Floyd can knock out anybody, but I think he might can slick out a win.  Buy one, too.  I don't have a lot of faith in Las Vegas judging of late.

dB Cooper

« Reply #25 on: 22 Apr 2015, 02:39 am »
Didn't feel "dissed". I can understand picking Floyd. Hell, he probably will win. I just dislike the guy- he's a woman batterer- and even if he wins, I hope that after the fight, he looks like he didn't.

My fervent hope is that on May 2, we'll see the reason he's been ducking Pacquiao for almost six years.

dB Cooper

« Reply #26 on: 22 Apr 2015, 03:22 am »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2015, 05:10 pm »
Didn't feel "dissed". I can understand picking Floyd. Hell, he probably will win. I just dislike the guy- he's a woman batterer- and even if he wins, I hope that after the fight, he looks like he didn't.

My fervent hope is that on May 2, we'll see the reason he's been ducking Pacquiao for almost six years.
:thumb:

mjosef

« Reply #29 on: 24 Apr 2015, 12:40 am »
52FM/48MP
As much as I would like someone/anyone to hand Mayweather a L on his stats, his boxing skills are impressive, and Manny has been in too many tough battles through the years, plus that knockout...there is always the faint possibility that Mayweather 'sheen' will disappear 'overnite' just like Roy Jones' if he sticks around long enough.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 24 Apr 2015, 03:42 pm »
Another thing that gives me pause (well, amongst several) is that Manny is a southpaw.  When Floyd rolls that shoulder to avoid being hit, he will be rolling into Manny's left hand zone.  We know about Manny's punch production that I don't think Floyd will keep up with, so Floyd must land cleaner punches to get points from the judges.  Marquez timed Manny just right.  Floyd can time alright, but knocking opponents out he just hasn't shown.  I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't end up a draw.  Bodes for another massive payday, too :dunno:.  Who, me?  Skeptical?  Bet yer dang skippy I am.

geowak

« Reply #31 on: 24 Apr 2015, 06:31 pm »
If one were to look further for a good fight. Two UFC bouts are coming up. One is Jose Aldo vs Conor McGregor (featherweight) and another is Robbie Lawler vs Rory MacDonald.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2015, 01:37 pm »
Predictions anyone?  I'm takin Mayweather cause I think he is the more multi-dimensional fighter and will demonstrate ring generalship*.

On the other hand, as Teddy Atlas pointed out, Manny's foot speed and angles will frustrate Floyd and make him miss.  And we know Manny punches in bunches.  So, what is hell is Floyd gonna beat him WITH?  Counterpunching.

This is one I wouldn't bet on even with your money.

*if he can maintain any breathing room for himself
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2015, 03:17 pm by jimdgoulding »

dB Cooper

« Reply #33 on: 30 Apr 2015, 01:31 am »
I don't think Floyd is going to have big trouble hitting Manny, but he might have trouble hurting him. And you gotta hurt Manny to deter him. This isn't the inexperienced Alvarez, the used-up Oscar/Shane, or the utterly unskilled Maidana. Floyd is in for the fight of his life. Freddie Roach says they have been training for this fight for years. If Manny can successfully stick to the plan (bang the body early, mix in the head shots more and more as he slows down), a late TKO for Manny.

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he? I could use some good news right about now...

Rclark

« Reply #34 on: 30 Apr 2015, 03:51 am »
I have three bets on Pacquiao...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #35 on: 30 Apr 2015, 02:20 pm »
I don't think Floyd is going to have big trouble hitting Manny, but he might have trouble hurting him. And you gotta hurt Manny to deter him. This isn't the inexperienced Alvarez, the used-up Oscar/Shane, or the utterly unskilled Maidana. Floyd is in for the fight of his life. Freddie Roach says they have been training for this fight for years. If Manny can successfully stick to the plan (bang the body early, mix in the head shots more and more as he slows down), a late TKO for Manny.

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he? I could use some good news right about now...
Good take on it, dB.  Wouldn't surprise me terribly if you're right.  It's the fight of Manny's life.  No doubt he's gonna bring it and Floyd is 38 years old.

Mjosef, my Brooklyn man.  Good to see something from you.  Maria Neckam still playin around town?

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #36 on: 2 May 2015, 12:48 pm »
As much as I'd love to see Manny take the fight, the night will belong to Mayweather. Can't stop a train.

Ugh, this just in, this morning's NYT has yet another article of his woman beating past.

"Mayweather, who on Saturday will meet Manny Pacquiao in a money swamp of a championship welterweight bout, has a long and documented history of employing brutality beyond the boxing ring.

http://nyti.ms/1GE03Ug

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #37 on: 2 May 2015, 02:31 pm »
As much as I'd love to see Manny take the fight, the night will belong to Mayweather. Can't stop a train.

Just don't see it that way.  Floyd doesn't win fights, he wins rounds.  He isn't impressive, and doesn't hurt anybody.  And go back and watch the Mosely fight, when he gets hurt, his shoulder roll goes away and he forgets his whole defensive posture. 

Manny is just as much of a train as Floyd is.  Except for 1 blind counter punch, Manny is undefeated too.  He whooped Bradley, bad.  And was whooping Marquez too, until he got caught. 

Manny is on a different skill level than anybody Floyd has ever fought, he can overwhelm defense like nobody Floyd has fought.  Floyd's only punch that's worth anything is the straight right counter, and he starts getting that in after opponents get frustrated and start wild headhunting.  That won't happen with Manny.  And Floyd only has an average chin too. 

Manny in 5

RDavidson

« Reply #38 on: 2 May 2015, 02:49 pm »
+1 Manny

Eugene2

« Reply #39 on: 2 May 2015, 03:17 pm »
Just don't see it that way.  Floyd doesn't win fights, he wins rounds.  He isn't impressive, and doesn't hurt anybody.  And go back and watch the Mosely fight, when he gets hurt, his shoulder roll goes away and he forgets his whole defensive posture. 

Manny is just as much of a train as Floyd is.  Except for 1 blind counter punch, Manny is undefeated too.  He whooped Bradley, bad.  And was whooping Marquez too, until he got caught. 

Manny is on a different skill level than anybody Floyd has ever fought, he can overwhelm defense like nobody Floyd has fought.  Floyd's only punch that's worth anything is the straight right counter, and he starts getting that in after opponents get frustrated and start wild headhunting.  That won't happen with Manny.  And Floyd only has an average chin too. 

Manny in 5

Whew Glad you're a better speaker builder than fight handicapper  :lol:  Manny's been knocked out three times,
Torrecampo, Singsurat and Marquez, additional losses to Morales and Bradley.  Also review the previous fights with Marquez, he may have lost two of those the same way he was jobbed in the Bradley fight Marquez may have been robbed...  Also the few knockouts Mayweather has had were with left hooks watch the Hatton fight.  A couple additional facts Mayweather fought Mosley in 2010 Pacquiao fought him in 2011.  Also Pacquiao fought DeLa Hoya after Mayweather, at a lower catch weight where he was weakened by weight loss.  Really look at Mayweathers record while folks keep saying he hand picks opponents, he is always smaller and has fought more world champions than any current fighter.  Still doesn't mean he'll win just some facts.  It will be interesting, I know most of you guys are rooting for the Pacman I just hope it's a good fight and not a dud with either man walking through the other.  No prediction just hope it's good :D