World Cup 2014
« on: 19 Jun 2014, 04:14 am »
My pick for the Cup is Argentina.  :thumb:

There's some big games coming...    :D

charmerci

Re: World Cup 2014
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2014, 04:55 am »
Was wondering when this thread was going to happen!  :lol:

The US-Ghana game was a fun one to watch.

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2014, 09:23 am »
Double dethroning for Spain yesterday.  Pathetic playing.  The Chileans looks truly like warriors instead of all the pretty boy looks and hardly no run from part of Spianish team.  Pa casa former Champs1  Chile, Mexico and even Costa Rica, all looked good.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2014, 12:47 pm »

I'm having a great time getting caught up in the excitement of the games. Watching Spain take their thumpings was a real treat. I'm a Netherlands fan, and even though prima donna millionaires they may be, they can run an exciting game. Go Orange. Hup, Holland, Hup!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jun 2014, 01:04 am »
The Portugal/US game should be revealing --- is Portugal that bad or is Germany that dominant? We'll get our answer Sunday.

Spain could not have fallen any further - zero goals in two straight losses. Utter collapse. I noticed most of the names on their team were familiar to me from 4 years ago. They must be getting old.

There are a lot of plucky teams this time around. There are sure to be some surprises advancing to the next round.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2014, 01:46 am »
Today's Colombia / Ivory Coast game was great fun to watch - two teams that clearly wanted to win. Don't know if Colombia has what it takes to go the distance, but will be fun to watch. The way Netherlands slaughtered Spain makes me think they'll be in the finals, even if Spain's collapse was partly there's to blame. My underdog favorite is Uruguay, but today's game showed they are lost without there superstar Suarez. And, as usual, they play dirty and often loose at their own hand because of expulsions.

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2014, 02:02 am »
My pick for surprisingly strong teams, Chile.  México and even Costa Rica.  They all have earned their mettle so far.   

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2014, 02:24 am »
Hi Kenneth,

The Australians really took it to the Netherlands team and only lost 3-2 to them.  Not bad for a team that is ranked as our 3rd most popular football sport as  Australian Rules Football and Rugby League have higher participations rates and take most of the talent.  The English league has been a great way for our players to gain experience and improve our skill levels over the years.

Cheers Rod

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2014, 03:58 am »
Spain got chewed up in the machine.

They've played so many games. A lot of euros have been made on this team. They're beat up, plain and simple.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jun 2014, 12:17 am »
Michael Bradley's lazy passing cost the US a guaranteed place in the 16. Plus he was too damn lazy to make a goal that was handed to him. We are not on speaking terms at this point.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #10 on: 23 Jun 2014, 01:24 am »
I think the excessive overtime cost us the game - first 4 minutes, then an extra minute, as if to favor Portugal. Bunch of BS if you ask me.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jun 2014, 01:53 am »
There were what? --- 15 seconds left when Bradley got possession. He could have kicked it into the stands and burned up enough time to make it a win. Instead he does a half-assed lazy pass that is intercepted by a Portuguese player. His team thought they had it won and lapsed on defense thinking he was still playing for their side. Apparently not. Landon Donovan would not have done that.

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jun 2014, 02:46 am »
Macro! +100000000000

The US team gave away that game. What a crushing lapse.

Bemopti123

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jun 2014, 10:47 am »
Spain got chewed up in the machine.

They've played so many games. A lot of euros have been made on this team. They're beat up, plain and simple.

I think they should rent a large  plane, take the Spanish, the Korean and the Aussie teams and send them back.  Jajajajaj.  Make sure all travel in economy, as the Italians did when they were coming to Brazil.

Mudslide

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jun 2014, 12:47 pm »
Michael Bradley's lazy passing cost the US a guaranteed place in the 16. Plus he was too damn lazy to make a goal that was handed to him. We are not on speaking terms at this point.

I'm glad I'm not alone in this.  Bradley almost cost the U.S. the game against Ghana and DID cost them the full 3 points yesterday.  I don't know why people are so high on him.  He's slow, small, almost never actually runs, and continually makes lazy passes, usually to the wrong team.  He drives me nuts and I had this sinking feeling he was going to be responsible for the team's heartache.  He was.   :(

Please get him out of the starting lineup.  He really seems disinterested.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 23 Jun 2014, 12:49 pm »
I think they should rent a large  plane, take the Spanish, the Korean and the Aussie teams and send them back.  Jajajajaj.  Make sure all travel in economy, as the Italians did when they were coming to Brazil.

The above entry requires explanation. What the hell are you talking about? All three teams you cited have been eliminated. Who cares if they go anywhere? They are out of the tournament along with England and a few other teams. More will be eliminated today. Of the 32 teams that started the World Cup, 16 will be eliminated from the first round. Would it bother you if they stayed around to watch the outcome and enjoy the party atmosphere? After all, just getting into the World Cup tournament is a significant lifetime achievement. Let them cherish their moment.

Davey

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jun 2014, 01:31 pm »
I'm glad I'm not alone in this.  Bradley almost cost the U.S. the game against Ghana and DID cost them the full 3 points yesterday.  I don't know why people are so high on him.  He's slow, small, almost never actually runs, and continually makes lazy passes, usually to the wrong team.  He drives me nuts and I had this sinking feeling he was going to be responsible for the team's heartache.  He was.   :(

Please get him out of the starting lineup.  He really seems disinterested.

Zero chance of that.  :)  He's not having his best tournament, but for the past few years he's been the most solid midfielder the U.S. have.  It's not like they have a Pirlo (or similar) waiting on the bench to replace him.  :)
As usual with the U.S. team, the defense is spotty and looks capable of breaking down at the wrong moment.  However, many other teams have looked this way as well.  :)

I suspect they're going to get a good drubbing by the German team, but we'll see.  :)

Dave.

Mudslide

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2014, 03:04 pm »
Zero chance of that.  :)  He's not having his best tournament, but for the past few years he's been the most solid midfielder the U.S. have.  It's not like they have a Pirlo (or similar) waiting on the bench to replace him.  :)
As usual with the U.S. team, the defense is spotty and looks capable of breaking down at the wrong moment.  However, many other teams have looked this way as well.  :)

I suspect they're going to get a good drubbing by the German team, but we'll see.  :)

Dave.

I agree, Germany will be a really tough nut to crack.  I also agree with you regarding the team's midfield talent.  But I find it hard to believe that anyone...any defense player in particular...can play as poorly as Bradley.  Heck...even a winger like Wondo would have been better.  He simply does nothing for the team...and in a quite central way.  On the contrary, he has cost his team 2 goals at a minimum in the WC.  Yesterday, all he had to do was kick the damn ball into Portugal's side of the field and the 25 seconds expire.  Nope...he sends it backward, toward his own goal, and directly to that funky #7 for Portugal.  But his demeanor the entire game was, as I said, at best disinterested.

Can you tell I'm still upset?   :lol:

Davey

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jun 2014, 03:38 pm »
Can you tell I'm still upset?   :lol:

Yes, I can sense a very slight bit of irritation in your tone.  :)
But you're not alone......many pundits coming down hard on MB today.

Jones has looked good though.  I don't know what the answer is.....if there is one.  Maybe they could consider Diskerud or Zusi into the MB role, but I just don't think options like that will be given any consideration.  They're going to live or die with Bradley.  :)

Dave.

vortrex

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jun 2014, 05:50 pm »
I watched soccer for the first time last night, the last 15 min of the game.  It was hilarious!  Guys flopping all over the grass, writhing in pain, about every 2 minutes.  I had no idea it was such a ridiculous sport.