Cotto vs. Martinez

jimdgoulding

Cotto vs. Martinez
« on: 1 Jun 2014, 03:32 pm »
Who wins?  Martinez is so hard to catch, so elusive, and his punch output is off the charts, but Cotto is vastly improved at cutting off the ring and hits hard.  Martinez IS gonna feel him. 

dB Cooper

Re: Cotto vs. Martinez
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2014, 04:11 pm »
I see this as a "pick 'em" (and likely very good) bout. Neither of these guys had a easy rise to the top, and there's a lot on the line, so they will doubtless both be coming to fight. I'm leaning towards Martinez under the "good big man vs good little man" principle, but that doesn't hold 100% of the time.
'

fredgarvin

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2014, 04:42 pm »
Judging by his dominance over the last several years, Martinez. He's had some tough injuries but I'll hang with him.

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2014, 04:54 pm »
I see this as a "pick 'em" (and likely very good) bout. Neither of these guys had a easy rise to the top, and there's a lot on the line, so they will doubtless both be coming to fight. I'm leaning towards Martinez under the "good big man vs good little man" principle, but that doesn't hold 100% of the time.
'

IMO, neither fighter is world class or fighting at the top of their game, but they are solid.  Martinez was good in his time but he's battled injury and is taking an easy fight to get back in the game. He's no spring chicken but I think he should be able to handle Cotto, the much smaller man.

Cotto has improved but I think he's too small to beat Martinez, a stronger and larger man. I can't wait for GGG to face one of these guys because he will probably end either guy's career in spectacular fashion. Even tough my comments about both fighters were not very flattering, I look for an entertaining fight between two spirited fighters.  Will have to watch the replay because I'm not paying to watch these two fight.

If Sergio wins, I'd like to see him fight James Kirkland. James has had some ups and downs but he looked really good in his last fight and no one seems to want to fight him. He would give Martinez a good fight and possibly a good beating.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2014, 05:32 pm »
GGG is a bad man.  He's so good he'll have a time getting anyone to fight him.  Guess I'll take Martinez, too, based on all the comments above plus he is as busy as he is elusive. 

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2014, 07:28 pm »
Sergio is a great athlete who is usually super fit and tough to hit. It will be a good fight and I can't see him losing unless he got old quick and his injuries caught up with him.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2014, 12:00 am »
IMO, neither fighter is world class or fighting at the top of their game, but they are solid.  Martinez was good in his time but he's battled injury and is taking an easy fight to get back in the game. He's no spring chicken but I think he should be able to handle Cotto, the much smaller man.

Cotto has improved but I think he's too small to beat Martinez, a stronger and larger man. I can't wait for GGG to face one of these guys because he will probably end either guy's career in spectacular fashion. Even tough my comments about both fighters were not very flattering, I look for an entertaining fight between two spirited fighters.  Will have to watch the replay because I'm not paying to watch these two fight.

If Sergio wins, I'd like to see him fight James Kirkland. James has had some ups and downs but he looked really good in his last fight and no one seems to want to fight him. He would give Martinez a good fight and possibly a good beating.

I disagree that they aren't world class, agree that neither is what they used to be, disagree that Cotto is an easy fight (though the size advantage will certainly make it easier), and agree with your second paragraph totally (GGG would ruin either one of them). Of course, neither would have tested a prime Hagler, but that's my 'inner old fart' talking.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2014, 01:45 am »
World class probably means different things to different folks but I, for one, agree with you, Coop.  Martinez is a world champ and hasn't Cotto been there, too?  I think this will be a very good contest.

fredgarvin

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2014, 03:21 pm »
Martinez hasn't fought in a year, his last fight a victory over Martin Murray, who had a controversial draw , that everyone thought he won, with Felix Sturm, Super Middleweight Champ. Murray was very 'hot' in boxing circles at that time. The fight before that, Martinez beat Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

He has been world class for years, destroying Paul Williams, taking Pavlik's title. I don't think a year of ring rust will hobble him against Cotto.

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2014, 03:02 am »
Maybe I was a bit harsh on these guys. Cotto is a smaller, slower guy who has always had trouble with faster southpaws  (and he has seen better days) stepping up to fight an aging guy who has not looked great in a long time, coming off surgery and multiple injuries.

A young Sergio would easily finish Cotto (a guy who was destroyed by Manny) but Sergio's declining skills/injuries and Freddie Roach's extreme makeover of Cotto should make this a competitive fight. Don't confuse that with greatness.  It will be fun to watch, but I wouldn't pay to see these to fight each other.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2014, 03:35 am »
Der Jackman, I think it will be competitive.  Cotto is the smaller man and knows he has to slow Martinez down,  He needs to take Martinez legs away.  On the other hand, Martinez knows all this.  He will stay on the outside and punch a bunch as is his custom.  That's really all he has to do to win.  His movement and punch production will make it hard for Cotto to win rounds.  Cotto's corner knows this so he will attempt, I should think, to keep Martinez in front of him.  He has good legs, a good hook and a good coach.  I wish him well, but you know what they say about teaching an old dog new tricks.  Cotto need to win rounds.  Hard thing to do against Martinez.  Unless, of course, you can hurt him.  It's been done.  Chavez did it, but only after having lost every round.  Cotto needs to cut off Martinez escape routes and forget being the counterpuncher.  It's just too much to ask for against a talent like Martinez. 

Chazro

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2014, 09:01 am »
Martinez should beat him easily.  For Cotto to win he'll have to fight the fight of his life!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 7 Jun 2014, 10:48 am »
"Roach spent considerable time working with Cotto, 33, on what he describes as "controlling the ring." He said when he broke down Cotto on film when he was training against him for the 2009 fight with Manny Pacquiao, he was amazed that Cotto had no concept of how to control the ring.

They worked on it so much in camp that Roach now believes it's a strength for Cotto, and he will show it in the fight Saturday."

Well, that's what Cotto must do, imo, keep Martinez in front of him and dig to the body to slow him down.  Of course, Martinez has no intention of oblidging him.  He'll more than likely steal Cotto's momentum with movement and many head shots.  Cotto is my sentimental favorite, btw. 

Chazro

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2014, 05:31 pm »
So Cotto destroyed Martinez!!  Knocked him down several times, Martinez's corner said 'No Mas' in the 10th round!  Of course all props go to Cotto, but how geat is Freddie Roach!?  Huge congrats to MC, as I didn't think he had a chance!  At 39 yrs old, Martinez is probably thinking about hanging up his gloves.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 8 Jun 2014, 06:00 pm »
Good for that young man!  His stock will make him a very wealthy man, now.  Can't wait to see it on the telly when and if it's shown.  Imagine the preparation he and his corner undertook for him to be successful.  My hat is waaaay off to them  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2014, 06:46 pm »
Martinez had nothing. No legs at all. This was obvious halfway through Rd 1. The ring rust probably didn't help either. I like Cotto and give him all due respect but I wonder if he could have done it were Martinez at 100%. But he did all any fighter has to do, which is beat the guy in front of you.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2014, 07:41 pm »
Well, what the hell were his training people thinking?  Probably there is a return match clause.   

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 8 Jun 2014, 08:14 pm »
Probably that the size advantage would be enough, and/or that he'd get a lucky KO punch in, or maybe even "Take the money and run". Hope not that last one, but they had to know he wasn't really in fighting shape.

jackman

« Reply #18 on: 9 Jun 2014, 11:16 am »
Congrats to Cotto and the guys who gave him more credit than I did. At 39, and after battling several serious injuries, it looks like Sergio has finally bit the wall.  Losing to a smaller guy, who moved up a class and getting dominated does not bode well for Martinez's future.

I have not seen the fight but all accounts say Cotto dominated him. The first round was 10-6! Hopefully we have some better completion and good fights in the middleweight ranks. Cotto's promoters are already talking about a cannello fight. Sounds good.

fredgarvin

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jun 2014, 05:30 pm »
Martinez was empty at the opening bell. He looks done.