Dr Dre and Beats Electronics hit with $20 million lawsuit

geowak

David Hyman, former founder of MOG filed a $20 million dollar lawsuit against Dr Dre's Beats Electronics.
http://www.thewrap.com/dr-dres-beats-electronics-hit-20-million-plus-lawsuit/

Here is another interesting article of how Beats headphones took over the +$100 headphone market by riding on Monster Cable designs.

http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world

Will the deal still move forward for Apple to buy Beats Electronics?

Sonny

Re: Dr Dre and Beats Electronics hit with $20 million lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2014, 10:39 pm »
I don't know if the deal will go through.  Obviously, Apple seems to think they will make a few billion off this purchase and they probably will.  However, to me, it's crazy to have these tech giants through money in all directions like they are the new wave of Venture Capitalists.  I live here in the Bay Area and people throw money at anything and everything!  It's absurd!

I would hate to see a bad headphone company make so much money because of purchases from young kids with no "real" appreciation for audio quality...again, these are all my opinions, so don't shoot me.

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2014, 12:43 am »
Here is another person who filed a lawsuit against Beats Electronics, Steven Lamar. He was with Monster and helped create the Beats headphones as a co-founder of Beats . He states he is owed (undisclosed) royalties.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/21/beats-dr-dre-iovine-royalties-sues

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2014, 02:02 am »
David Hyman, former founder of MOG filed a $20 million dollar lawsuit against Dr Dre's Beats Electronics.
http://www.thewrap.com/dr-dres-beats-electronics-hit-20-million-plus-lawsuit/

Here is another interesting article of how Beats headphones took over the +$100 headphone market by riding on Monster Cable designs.

http://gizmodo.com/5981823/beat-by-dre-the-inside-story-of-how-monster-lost-the-world

Will the deal still move forward for Apple to buy Beats Electronics?

By riding on Monster designs?  They hired Monster as a designer. That's not riding. Many companies out source design.

geowak

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2014, 02:59 am »
By riding on Monster designs?  They hired Monster as a designer. That's not riding. Many companies out source design.

While that is certainly true, according to the article, Beats did not give give credit- where credit was due. They also did not PAY who they promised to pay. But that will all shake out in court (if it gets to that) and no settlement is reached in both cases. One thing for sure, Dr Dre should be hoping Apple does not back out of the deal. He's not in the billionaire's club just yet...

Stay tuned...

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2014, 06:03 am »
I don't know if the deal will go through.  Obviously, Apple seems to think they will make a few billion off this purchase and they probably will.  However, to me, it's crazy to have these tech giants through money in all directions like they are the new wave of Venture Capitalists.  I live here in the Bay Area and people throw money at anything and everything!  It's absurd!

I would hate to see a bad headphone company make so much money because of purchases from young kids with no "real" appreciation for audio quality...again, these are all my opinions, so don't shoot me.

I feel that way about Apple - a shame that a company that's globalized compressed poor quality audio because of purchases from young kids should make so much money. Now Apple will show beats who's boss by getting huffy about the leak and maybe get some leverage on the deal. Meanwhile anyone who's felt stiffed by Beats will try to get as much money as they can now that billions of dollars are at stake.

I don't get why Beats is poo-pooed as not being audiophile-quality while Apple gets a pass. Apple has done nothing to cater to the audiophile crowd and the high quality playback software continues to skew to other platforms.

geowak

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2014, 06:12 am »
I feel that way about Apple - a shame that a company that's globalized compressed poor quality audio because of purchases from young kids should make so much money.

Good point! Compressed audio has not really helped people appreciate and hear the recorded music!

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2014, 06:40 am »
Good point! Compressed audio has not really helped people appreciate and hear the recorded music!

Maybe. There's a guy at work who absolutely loves his Bose speakers.  :roll:   He insists that I wouldn't be able to hear the difference between mp3 and redbook resolution. (No, he won't take me on it...well, it was brought up once and since then - nothing.)

What can you do about people's beliefs?  :duh:

AKLegal

« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2014, 10:15 am »
Anytime a company makes the amount of money Beats has made there will be lawsuits, it comes with the territory.  There is always somebody along the line who says "hey I came up with that" or "I did work and they didn't pay me". Apple will still buy Beats and people will continue to listen to crappy apple downloads through crappy beats headphones. $20 million is a pittance compared to the size of the deal.