Manny P vs Timmy B

jimdgoulding

Manny P vs Timmy B
« on: 30 Mar 2014, 05:05 pm »
Who are you picking to win this?  I think I'm picking Bradley but wouldn't be out of sorts in the least to be wrong.  I got as much respect for Manny as any fighter in the world past and present, but he's getting older and the younger Bradley has something to prove that will motivate him.  Manny won their first encounter in spite of the decision and the whole world outside of the ring agrees, but that was then.  I'm for Manny mind you and if it's close, he'll get the nod this time.  Well, he should seeins how he was robbed in their first fight.  Bradley is bright and very likable as you will see if you get HBO and can see the warm-up show.  He surely must know that he has to win decisively and I don't imagine that will be easy.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2014, 08:15 pm by jimdgoulding »

jimdgoulding

Re: Manny P vs Timmy B
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2014, 04:12 pm »
Bradley's determination may work against him.  Manny might be the matador this time out if Bradley has too much to prove.

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2014, 04:48 pm »
Bradley is a bum and he will get his ass kicked this time.  No way he gets the decision after running for 12 rounds.  If Bradley decides to grow a set and trade with Manny, look for this one to end in a stunning knockout.  Manny has something to prove and he doesn't have many fights left.  I hope he punishes Bradley for opening his big mouth. 

I'm not impressed by Bradley at all.  He's got a good record but I don't consider him to be an elite fighter.  If he beats Manny legitimately, I'll change my tune.  It could be an entertaining fight if Timmy decides to trade punches.  Manny never runs and he's got faster hands.  Bradley takes a good punch and is dangerous with his head (butts).  I'm hoping to see him get knocked out cold.

Also, GGG is fighting Chavez this summer.  That's going to be a great fight.  I wish he was fighting Sergio Martinez but Martinez wants no part of 3G, for good reason because I think he'll get his ass kicked.  He chose to take a paycheck and fight a washed up Cotto, a guy Manny destroyed.  I'd like to see James Kirkland fight Martinez as well.  Kirkland is looking strong and I think he would kill Sergio but it would be a good fight to watch.  Martinez has more power but he's never been hit by a guy like Kirkland. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2014, 11:03 pm »
Jackman, come on, man, tell us how you really feel!  The Packster may go down in history as the best pound for pound fighter ever.  He's that good.  He only just made a mistake against Marquez.  He was ahead on points at the time and in control.  But, Bradley isn't a bum, dude.  He can box and has good hand and foot speed.  But, I don't think he'll try and box his way to victory- I think he has a chip on his shoulder- and that could be costly.  All Manny has to do is frustrate and outland him.  And he's pretty damned good at that.  So's his coach.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2014, 01:50 am »
Postnote to above . . Bradley doesn't believe Manny can hurt him.  He will want to get into exchanges, but Manny's legs will give him a whole lot of angles making it hard for Bradley to land squarely.  The angles and movement he gave Rios was state of the art.  But, I happen to think that Bradley is a way better all around fighter than Rios and will be very hard to discourage.   

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2014, 01:28 pm »
Hi Jim,

Great talking boxing with you! I look forward to the fight and hope Bradley decides to be aggressive. His style is not fan friendly and he won't win this time by running. Ironically it might be the only way he can drag the fight into later rounds.  Manny has fast hands,
More power and quicker feet and I expect him to give Timmy lots of frustrating angles. I done expect Manny to take his foot off the gas this time. Lots of pressure from PAC man early in the fight because I don't think he wants the judges to be given a chance to steal another decision. 

Bradley is a smart guy and if he gets hit early, watch for him to go into a shell and fight defensively. This will make for a boring fight because it's what he did last time. Manny will not let that happen this time at least I hope.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 2 Apr 2014, 03:51 pm »
Bradley is a bum and he will get his ass kicked this time.  No way he gets the decision after running for 12 rounds.  If Bradley decides to grow a set and trade with Manny, look for this one to end in a stunning knockout.  Manny has something to prove and he doesn't have many fights left.  I hope he punishes Bradley for opening his big mouth. 

I'm not impressed by Bradley at all.  He's got a good record but I don't consider him to be an elite fighter.  If he beats Manny legitimately, I'll change my tune.  It could be an entertaining fight if Timmy decides to trade punches.  Manny never runs and he's got faster hands.  Bradley takes a good punch and is dangerous with his head (butts).  I'm hoping to see him get knocked out cold.

Also, GGG is fighting Chavez this summer.  That's going to be a great fight.  I wish he was fighting Sergio Martinez but Martinez wants no part of 3G, for good reason because I think he'll get his ass kicked.  He chose to take a paycheck and fight a washed up Cotto, a guy Manny destroyed.  I'd like to see James Kirkland fight Martinez as well.  Kirkland is looking strong and I think he would kill Sergio but it would be a good fight to watch.  Martinez has more power but he's never been hit by a guy like Kirkland.

Hope you're right about Bradley. He didn't deserve the win last time (one of the worst decisions Ive ever seen) and to hear him you'd think otherwise. That makes him a punk IMO.

Don't kid yourself, GGG will annihilate Chavez too. Chavez is talented  but GGG is hungrier and that will help him.Chavez is good enough to give him some rounds but it will either end in a KO by six or a protracted beatdown if the fight goes deep.

Dont know if Cotto is 'washed up' but he's probably getting near his 'sell-by' date. Looking better under Roach the last time out.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2014, 04:32 pm »

Yeah, I'm guessing Bradley will close up early hoping that Manny will wear himself out while banging away and trying to get in. Not a bad strategy but it makes for a boring fight. Regardless, Manny will take the evening.

And +1 for 3G over Chavez. Of the two, that fight might actually prove to be the more exciting.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2014, 08:28 pm »
Hi Jim,

Great talking boxing with you! I look forward to the fight and hope Bradley decides to be aggressive. His style is not fan friendly and he won't win this time by running. Ironically it might be the only way he can drag the fight into later rounds.  Manny has fast hands,
More power and quicker feet and I expect him to give Timmy lots of frustrating angles. I done expect Manny to take his foot off the gas this time. Lots of pressure from PAC man early in the fight because I don't think he wants the judges to be given a chance to steal another decision. 

Bradley is a smart guy and if he gets hit early, watch for him to go into a shell and fight defensively. This will make for a boring fight because it's what he did last time. Manny will not let that happen this time at least I hope.
I love what you said about Manny not taking his foot off the gas this time.  Don't think Bradley will go into a shell, however.  At least, not for long cause that won't get him points.  I like Bradley in the pre fight coverage on HBO until the roundtable at the end where he sounds like Rios sounded.  It's nonsense to try and discourage Manny.  That ain't happenin and it's classless.  If Bradley can't win the majority of rounds he loses.  So, I think his strategy will be to try and do just that.  Manny is a busy and more coordinated fighter.  Bradley has to try and knock him off his game if not outta there, but Manny won't be making the mistake he made against Marquez.  Roach will see to that.  I'm reversing my pick.  Taking Pacman by decision.

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2014, 11:43 am »
jimd, with all due respect, I can't see picking Bradley considering he lost almost every round the first time (gift decision notwithstanding). Second worst decision I've ever seen (the worst being Chavez' gift draw against Pernell Whitaker). None of those judges should be allowed to buy a ticket to a fight in the future, let alone judge one.

Looking forward to (hopefully) a good fight with (hopefully) a good decision this time.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2014, 04:29 pm »
I quite agree with your assessment of the first one, Coop.  Since then, however, I dare say Bradley has improved.  He KNOWS he has to win big.  He'll bring all he's got and be busy about it.  Will that be enough?  I have to doubt it vs the master, but it won't be for his lack of trying.  He is motivated, also.  All Manny has to do is rely on his more formidable skillset.  Bradley MUST upset him and I'll give him a 45% chance.       

Chazro

« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2014, 07:43 pm »
Pac beat him the 1st time, he'll beat him this time.  If for no other reason than the dolla$ involved in the 'tie-breaking' 3-peat.  I love boxing, but is there ANY other sport that's as flagrantly dirty (sometimes)?  Sad part is it used to cause outrage and headlines when an obvious 'fix' was in, today, nobody cares.  The last time I can remember any sort of outrage was Arguello-Pryor I, when his cornerman yelled into the mike between rounds for the 'special' bottle of water.  Even than, his punishment was a mandatory rematch (and he couldn't use his trainer, Panama Lewis, in the corner)!  The most amazing part of this story is that, even with the flagrant cheating, this fight is often considered amongst the greatest Boxing matches of all time!  The gentlemanly manner of Pacquiao often reminds me of Alexis Areguello.  I've always had more respect for champions that comported themselves with pride and dignity outside the ring.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2014, 09:22 pm »
Pac beat him the 1st time, he'll beat him this time.  If for no other reason than the dolla$ involved in the 'tie-breaking' 3-peat.  I love boxing, but is there ANY other sport that's as flagrantly dirty (sometimes)?  Sad part is it used to cause outrage and headlines when an obvious 'fix' was in, today, nobody cares.  The last time I can remember any sort of outrage was Arguello-Pryor I, when his cornerman yelled into the mike between rounds for the 'special' bottle of water.  Even than, his punishment was a mandatory rematch (and he couldn't use his trainer, Panama Lewis, in the corner)!  The most amazing part of this story is that, even with the flagrant cheating, this fight is often considered amongst the greatest Boxing matches of all time!  The gentlemanly manner of Pacquiao often reminds me of Alexis Areguello.  I've always had more respect for champions that comported themselves with pride and dignity outside the ring.
:thumb:

mjosef

« Reply #13 on: 4 Apr 2014, 11:32 pm »
I have my doubts about the PAcMan, he has seen a lot of punishing mileage the past 15 years, and frankly has not looked as sharp his last 2-3 fights.
As for Bradley, he has had a couple tough fights when he looked out on his feet but had the heart of a lion to stay in and WIN those tough fights, I don't see PacMan knocking Bradley out...
Bradley made a good point about the PacMan psyche since being 'born again', that killer instinct has certainly diminished for the PM.
It will be one helluva fight, neither of these guys run, they will be toe to toe all night. Its 50/50 fight for me.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2014, 01:30 am »
That's what I'm thinkin, Mj.  Bradley won't be running.  He will want to engage.  He not afraid of Pacman's power.  For Manny to win, he's the one who had best box and I believe that is what he will do.  Bradley has been taunting him about not having very much power.  Pacman must use his legs, angles, and skill to win and forget about Bradley's taunting.  And why wouldn't he.  Bet that is how Roach is preparing him.   

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 5 Apr 2014, 12:23 pm »
This is interesting. I disagree with you guys and feel you are giving Bradley too much credit. Manny has an aggressive style and I suspect be has learned that you can beat a guy up every round and still lose a decision. He's going to want to knock Bradley out and I think he will. Bradley never tasted Manny's power last time because Timmy ran the whole time and fought not to lose. I don't see Manny allowing him to do that again. Look for Bradley to hit the canvas in five rounds.  He is a punk and deserves a good beating.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 5 Apr 2014, 05:13 pm »
Can't imagine Bradley will be fighting not to lose.  Why would he do that?  And don't you think he has something to prove more than Manny?  Everybody knows Manny won the first fight.  The majority seems to think Manny will be going for the knockout.  Well, he'll take it if it comes.  For Bradley to win I think it needs to be the other way around.  Manny can be as good of a tactical fighter as the very best and he doesn't need to prove anything contrary to what a few of you seem to be suggesting.  It's Bradley who does and I believe that's what will motivate him.  It will be interesting (to me) to see if Bradley focuses on Manny's body early.   

On the other hand, if there is a re-match clause, that could color the proceedings.
« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2014, 06:30 pm by jimdgoulding »

jackman

« Reply #17 on: 5 Apr 2014, 08:48 pm »
If Manny beats him up again and knocks him out this time, I don't think anyone really wants to see a rematch. Despite what the first judges were smoking, any true boxing fan knows who won that first fight.

Bradley's only chance is to fight defensively and hope to get a decision again. If he engages Manny he's going to go to sleep. I hope he tries to go to the body or fight aggressively. At least it will be entertaining unlike the first fight where he refused to engage. If he goes toe to toe, it will be a short night because I think he will get knocked out badly. Bradley does not impress me and he's lucky to be getting this payday. It will most likely be his last big fight, unless he looks so bad that Pretty Girl decides to give him a beating as well.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #18 on: 5 Apr 2014, 10:00 pm »
If Manny beats him up again and knocks him out this time, I don't think anyone really wants to see a rematch. Despite what the first judges were smoking, any true boxing fan knows who won that first fight.

Bradley's only chance is to fight defensively and hope to get a decision again. If he engages Manny he's going to go to sleep. I hope he tries to go to the body or fight aggressively. At least it will be entertaining unlike the first fight where he refused to engage. If he goes toe to toe, it will be a short night because I think he will get knocked out badly. Bradley does not impress me and he's lucky to be getting this payday. It will most likely be his last big fight, unless he looks so bad that Pretty Girl decides to give him a beating as well.
I think you missed my point, brother Jackman.  A rematch, if both guys look good, means another big payday for all participants.  We'll just have to wait and see how committed these guys are to this one.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2014, 06:45 pm »
Alright, now.  Saturday night will decide it.  Pacman is the sharper puncher.  He outscored Bradley in the first fight and that is all he has to do in this one.  Teddy Atlas was on ESPN's First Take today and suggested that the judges might favor Pacman cause the powers that be want a Mayweather-Pacman showdown expected to be the biggest grossing fight in history.  You know what they say . . money doesn't talk, it screams.  I'm telling you guys that the pressure is on Bradley.  He HAS to win big to take the judges out of the equation.  It could be a mistake for Pacman to trade with Bradley when he doesn't have to.  Bradley will die before he loses in a brawl.  Pacman is a different fighter today than he was five years ago.  Forget macho.  And to those of you who think Manny will return to his five year ago form, I submit that is a recipe for Bradley to win.  I expect Bradley to be the aggressor and punish Manny if Manny stays in front of him.  I don't think he will.  Bradley wants this more than anything he's ever done.  I'm pickin Manny by decision unless he isn't thinking what I'm thinking and slugs with Bradley too often.   

There is a flip side to this.  Bradley can box, too, as I think will be evident if you don't know, and has a slight reach advantage, but that's not the fight I am expecting.  I'm hoping I can find some cats in Houston piping this in and will let me join them.  Put it on the Houston Audio Society website and offered to split the cost.
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2014, 10:47 pm by jimdgoulding »