Stephen Mejias leaving Stereophile

geowak

Re: Steven Mejias leaving Stereophile
« Reply #20 on: 30 Mar 2014, 11:23 pm »
I read the audio mags like I read the newspaper funnies cartoons, they are there for entertainment and a laugh. Not to be taken too seriously. I have learned a FEW things from them over the years..... but actually I have learned more, and been entertained more from forums like these....... (not just AC!)

ltr317

« Reply #21 on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:18 am »
I reserve the right to be inconsistent.

Doc

As long as your inconsistency is consistent. 

ltr317

« Reply #22 on: 31 Mar 2014, 02:30 am »
I also disagree. Steven was a breath of fresh air and he was writing to his age demographic using a writing style that appealed to them, not to seasoned audiophiles. I know a couple of under-30 folks who discovered you could have good sound without spending a fortune from reading his columns. While I didn't always read his column, I will miss his input. I hope JA finds someone who can continue the outreach to that younger demographic and wean them off of mp3s.

Laura - John Atkinson has said he will replace Steven with several other writers.  I think Tom Norton is coming back now that he has left Home Theater and Michael Lavorgna will be writing a new digital column.  I don't know if anyone is taking over the Entry Level column, but I sure hope so because it was the only monthly column devoted to that segment of the market.  While I generally review value added components they are not usually entry level.   Paul

EDS_

« Reply #23 on: 31 Mar 2014, 03:31 am »
Laura - John Atkinson has said he will replace Steven with several other writers.  I think Tom Norton is coming back now that he has left Home Theater and Michael Lavorgna will be writing a new digital column.  I don't know if anyone is taking over the Entry Level column, but I sure hope so because it was the only monthly column devoted to that segment of the market.  While I generally review value added components they are not usually entry level.   Paul

I'll miss SM's work, apparently more than many.

It's awesome the TN will return to SF. IIRC he claimed one particular Cary tube amp should have been labeled as a, "tone control" not an amplifier.

Ed

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #24 on: 31 Mar 2014, 11:29 am »
I also disagree. Steven was a breath of fresh air and he was writing to his age demographic using a writing style that appealed to them, not to seasoned audiophiles. I know a couple of under-30 folks who discovered you could have good sound without spending a fortune from reading his columns. While I didn't always read his column, I will miss his input. I hope JA finds someone who can continue the outreach to that younger demographic and wean them off of mp3s.
While I didn't always read his column,
Me too I never buy this mag in paper, just read some equip reviews on the site and it seems a bit better than TAS, which is not much.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 31 Mar 2014, 11:44 am »
I'll miss SM's work, apparently more than many.

It's awesome the TN will return to SF. IIRC he claimed one particular Cary tube amp should have been labeled as a, "tone control" not an amplifier.

Ed
Both solidstate and tube amps had its harmonics or tone controls, it just happen tube amps had a even order harmonics which are please to human brain.

He may be refering to a solid state amp, which are cold, sterile or at best neutral by the presence of odd order harmonics.

The author may intend when an solidstate amp is neutral it not a tone control.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #26 on: 31 Mar 2014, 12:56 pm »
I'm with Vinyl Lady.  I found him to be refreshing...if at times amusing.  He spoke to the
"will this really sound better than my Iphone?" people well.  His sense of enthusiasm and
delight in discovery was a welcome change to the "I could hear the rosin on the bow" crowd.
His generation lives on social media, so his comments about other persons and going to
parties was not in the least surprising.
regards,
Hibuck....

AUDFILE74

« Reply #27 on: 31 Mar 2014, 01:35 pm »
This saddens me. it was fun to talk to him and he struck me as a kind  and true person. i also enjoyed reading his column. he made audio accessible. he actually looked for truly affordable equipment that performed well.

BobRex

« Reply #28 on: 31 Mar 2014, 03:03 pm »
I'm with Vinyl Lady.  I found him to be refreshing...if at times amusing.  He spoke to the
"will this really sound better than my Iphone?" people well.  His sense of enthusiasm and
delight in discovery was a welcome change to the "I could hear the rosin on the bow" crowd.
His generation lives on social media, so his comments about other persons and going to
parties was not in the least surprising.
regards,
Hibuck....

But do you think that the "will this really sound better than my Iphone?" crowd would purchase a magazine in search of that principal?  In other words, does a monthly column centered around true beginners actually work?  How many additional readers has the column brought in, and how many of those turned / will turn into long term readers / hobbyists?

smargo

« Reply #29 on: 31 Mar 2014, 05:27 pm »
But do you think that the "will this really sound better than my Iphone?" crowd would purchase a magazine in search of that principal?  In other words, does a monthly column centered around true beginners actually work?  How many additional readers has the column brought in, and how many of those turned / will turn into long term readers / hobbyists?

Im not sure what the column has brought in directly - but a friend of mine read the review about those really cheap pioneer speakers - because i told him that he should  read it - just to see what those speakers could provide compared to what he has

He has the pioneer speakers now - and he probably looked at other stuff in the magazine - although im not sure of this

he prob will not subscribe either - but he did get exposed

finsup

« Reply #30 on: 31 Mar 2014, 05:33 pm »
I agree. I just think he wasn't very convincing.

I would say Darko at digitalaudioreview.net has similar aims but does a better job of it.

I have bookmarked over 3 dozen different audio-related sites.  SM's articles managed to weave into the narrative a little something more than just strictly a review of an audio component, and I for one, found that it was a breath of fresh air.  I don't know if it was a change in relationships or if it was critical comments from readers and editors that pushed the Natalies into the background.  I missed his musings and thought his later columns suffered a bit from their absence.

findog3103

« Reply #31 on: 31 Mar 2014, 07:58 pm »
I have bookmarked over 3 dozen different audio-related sites.  SM's articles managed to weave into the narrative a little something more than just strictly a review of an audio component, and I for one, found that it was a breath of fresh air.  I don't know if it was a change in relationships or if it was critical comments from readers and editors that pushed the Natalies into the background.  I missed his musings and thought his later columns suffered a bit from their absence.

I also enjoyed his 'fun'. He was definitely enjoying writing about music first, then which components allowed him, and whoever was with him, the pleasure of music. His musings allowed me to reminisce and wish for more dance parties when my friends and I used to just listen to the tunes and jam.

ltr317

« Reply #32 on: 31 Mar 2014, 09:13 pm »
I also enjoyed his 'fun'. He was definitely enjoying writing about music first, then which components allowed him, and whoever was with him, the pleasure of music. His musings allowed me to reminisce and wish for more dance parties when my friends and I used to just listen to the tunes and jam.

When I started this thread it was intended to be an announcement of Stephen's imminent departure from Stereophile, but more importantly I was openly wondering about the survival of "The Entry Level" column.  While the thread has evolved into the likes and dislikes of his writing style (which I half expected) that is okay because we as a lot are opinionated.  But since no one can please everyone all the time, the continuation of such discussion is ultimately fruitless.  So before it becomes a shouting match or pissing contest like on other audio forums, I would like opinions about an ongoing entry level column, whether on Stereophile or at another audio magazine or ezine.

I, for one, thought it was a great idea because Stephen brought attention to entry or budget level products that I was not aware.  That segment of the industry is always needed to alert the consciousness of both beginning and seasoned audiophiles of inexpensive audio components, not to mention non-audiophiles.  As an audio reviewer, with very few exceptions, I don't read the writings of other reviewers because I don't want to be unduly influenced by my peers.  I review with a single voice, my own whether the reader likes that approach or not.  As one of the exceptions, I semi-regularly read Stephen's column because as far as I know, his column was the only one dealing with entry/budget items exclusively.  I also like the fact he wrote partly about his life and love for his brand of music, of which audio was only a means to that music.  As findog stated, Stephen wrote in a "fun" manner.  That is exactly how I approach this hobby and how I write.  Once it stops being fun, I will lose the passion and it no longer will be a hobby.  So I enjoy reading about how Stephen's life relates to his hobby. After all, audio is not in a vacuum and is only a part (whether small or big) of one's life.

So, does anyone want an ongoing, exclusively entry level column on Stereophile or elsewhere?  I'm interested in knowing because I think such a column is important to the continuation of this hobby.

Cheers,
Paul Mah         

findog3103

Re: Stephen Mejias leaving Stereophile
« Reply #33 on: 31 Mar 2014, 09:46 pm »
Yes, I would like the 'Entry Level' to continue. With so many products in this niche, I love to hear about the ones that make a positive impact for the reviewer. Also, it is good to hear about these products for use in a second or third system, iPhone, etc. 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #34 on: 31 Mar 2014, 10:30 pm »

So, does anyone want an ongoing, exclusively entry level column on Stereophile or elsewhere?  I'm interested in knowing because I think such a column is important to the continuation of this hobby.

Cheers,
Paul Mah       

Yes, I think it is important. I have referred young music lovers between a third and half my age :lol: to Stephen's column. Most of the time that has happened after they have been listening to music in my home and I have used his column to help them understand they can have better than mp3 sound on a very modest budget. I recently helped a young attorney in DC buy her first vinyl rig (actually her first stereo and she wanted to start with vinyl).  :thumb: Stephen's articles appealed to her because of age similarities and passion about the same musical groups. An entry level column is important if we are going to engage the next generation in good sound.

Laura

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #35 on: 31 Mar 2014, 10:38 pm »

Cheers,
Paul Mah       

You know Paul, when I first started out in this absurd hobby I could remember getting reprints of reviews on affordable gear like Arcam and NAD from my dealer, many of which were from Stereophile and authored by people like Cory Greenberg who actually made this whole thing seem appealing in some odd way ( little did I know...). I'm by no means the biggest gearhead on AC ( although I must be among the biggest blockheads  :green: ) but when I was at the entry level, having someone write about gear I could relate to at that point and write about it in a way that was not so tediously pious and clinical went a long way in maintaining my interest. So yes, I think there should be some venue where the entry-level folks can be catered to in a way which will not send them running away screaming or shuffling away yawning. Making this stuff relatable and maybe even fun might go a long way towards encouraging others to make the same mistake I've made and get sucked into pursuing this hobby, ruining their lives.

I'm a bad person.  :thumb:

D.D.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #36 on: 31 Mar 2014, 10:57 pm »

Of course - not all of us have or want to spend the big bucks.  Instead of a column, how about a whole publication, such as resurrecting "The Sensible Sound", which often focussed on entry level canadian speakers and japanese brand electronics.  Outside of Sound & Vision, where do you see reviews of the latter much any more? Mostly just owner reviews from Amazon, occasionally CNET. 

Or maybe a combo of that and used / "vintage" gear?  Think it would be fun to read a review of the latter : e.g. how good actually was that Sansui / Pioneer / Dynaco / Advent / Cerwin Vega / etc etc of yesteryear compared to now?

ltr317

« Reply #37 on: 1 Apr 2014, 12:09 am »
Of course - not all of us have or want to spend the big bucks.  Instead of a column, how about a whole publication, such as resurrecting "The Sensible Sound", which often focussed on entry level canadian speakers and japanese brand electronics.  Outside of Sound & Vision, where do you see reviews of the latter much any more? Mostly just owner reviews from Amazon, occasionally CNET. 

Or maybe a combo of that and used / "vintage" gear?  Think it would be fun to read a review of the latter : e.g. how good actually was that Sansui / Pioneer / Dynaco / Advent / Cerwin Vega / etc etc of yesteryear compared to now?

Some publications do reprint older reviews like Stereophile and Enjoy The Music on a fairly regular basis.  If there's enough demand, I'm sure someone would start something.  For the word on the street of vintage gear, there's Audiokarma where the members mainly focus on exactly the brands you mentioned.

virtue

• Industry Participant
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #38 on: 1 Apr 2014, 04:25 am »
I'll miss him too! 

Good guy and good for him!  The missus must need shoes and Stereophile was probably a labor of love.

Too bad we never had our sh*t together long enough to have him review it. 

Thanks for posting, Paul.

Seth

Carl V

« Reply #39 on: 1 Apr 2014, 04:47 am »
Yes, stereophile needs to continue along the lines of Audio cheapskate...(Sam Tellig...Tom Gillet)
Entry Level...Corey Greenberg...or ROBERT J REINA.  The latter often makes astute observations
and is able to succinctly compare & contrast....imho.  I look forward to Kal's music in the round
because he seems both grounded & quite erudite.  He appears to have an independent outlook.

Sensible sound had a nice mix at times...as does Audiophile Voice does to this day.

It would be nice if the future Entry Level writer was ready willing & able to take on
the notion of the Emperor's clothes.