Tube preamp & phono stage to fit in a small space...

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
Putting out here for the collective, to see if anyone knows of other options I may not have considered...to ideally fit in my equipment rack, I'm looking for a tube preamp to drive my SV811-10 monos as well as an MM phono stage. The requirements are:

- Each has to be 10" wide or less, no height restriction
- Point to point wiring
- Preferably tube rectification on the line stage, but not required

A Bottlehead Foreplay 3/Reduction combo would satisfy most of this, but the new Moreplay is just too wide. A Decware pair would also meet this, but the waitlist may be too long for me (and Decware stuff seems to only come up used about twice a year...) Mapletree Audio, maybe? I have no experience with them...

Anything else I'm not considering? Thanks!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: Tube preamp & phono stage to fit in a small space...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2022, 03:38 pm »
Look at the Croft Micro 25 Preamp. 3 inputs and 1 MM phono, tube driven (2-12AX7 for phono and 1-12AX7 for line stage) all point to point and sounds really good for not huge $. It does invert phase but that's easy to work around.

A review here https://www.tonepublications.com/review/croft-pair/

Edit: Sorry I misread the 10" restriction. This is wider than that but a single unit. Might not work for what you're really looking for.

borism

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jan 2022, 04:29 pm »
I built the original Bottlehead Eros phono stage. It is less than 10" wide. I'm really enjoying it and can highly recommend it if you are into DIY.

rotarius

« Reply #3 on: 2 Jan 2022, 05:43 pm »
I used to have Mapletree and it was a great preamp.  Did not get the phone preamp though.  Way better than the Foreplay ii  I tried.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2022, 09:38 pm »
I used to have Mapletree and it was a great preamp.  Did not get the phone preamp though.  Way better than the Foreplay ii  I tried.

Agreed.  Octals for the win!  :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2022, 03:10 pm »
Agree with the consencus on the Mapletree Audio.  Likely the best you'll find in that form factor.