Android as a Media Server via USB

sharpsuxx

• "I guess live music is a healthy addiction." CT
Android as a Media Server via USB
« on: 12 Nov 2012, 08:37 pm »
I just got my kit to hook up my Samsung Galaxy S3 running jellybean as a Network Media Player/Media Server/Music PC.  I have it running into an Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC.  I must say I was more than impressed, I did not expect the audio quality that comes out of a dumb little smart phone to be anything close to my transport into my DAC but it far exceeds it.  Deeper and quieter sound stage, better seperation and much more involving.  I am currently using the full version of PowerAmp with all of the settings optimized and the Plex media server.  I really like the sound of PowerAMP as it allow the Android to decoded FLAC with output up to 24/96 via USB.  Plex Server on the other hand transcodes everything to 16:44 MP3. 

Does anyone have any similar experiences or any suggestions of a better media player/server app for android?

I figure most of us already have some sort of smart phone so other than a cheap mini to female USB and USB A to B cable this is practically a free source for anyone with a USB DAC.  I believe PowerAMP is 5 bucks and Plex is 4.

goingsolo

Re: Android as a Media Server via USB
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2012, 09:03 pm »
Hi, could you describe your 'kit' in more detail?
Thanks.

sharpsuxx

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2012, 12:29 pm »
It is very simple I think it costs a little more now some of the stuff was on sale when I bought it.  OTG USB cable from Amazon $9.99, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GGBYJ4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01, USB A to B cable to my DAC $7.09, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000067SPO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00, I am sure there are better ones.  Then I ran than into my older version Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC.  I got the 16ft A to B USB so I could select Media from my couch, but if you wanted to use a higher quality USB cord you could leave it at the front of your room.  I have a feeling companies will be releasing Android stand alone USB docks this holiday season to support the new Jelly Bean features, there were several at CES this year.

Bonzite51

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2012, 02:44 pm »
I realized that you said Android to decoded FLAC with output up to 24/96 via USB
What I need to change in S3 settings?
Because now it decode/play only WAV or MP3 files.
It looks like FLAC is unknown format for S3 in my case.

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2012, 03:57 pm »
I have been looking for an app that will allow a Nexus 7 tablet (Android 4.2) to act as a Squeezebox (Touch) playing back hires content via USB from a local LMS on a home network.  There is an app, http://www.squeezeplayer.com/
but it is currently limited to 16/44.1 but the Nexus 7 audio API seems capable of handling 24/96. 
Because Logitech, in their infinite stupidity has ceased production of the Squeezebox Touch, I was searching for alternatives.  Triode's EDO Touch app is compliant up to  24/192, should that ever be possible.
You would also need an app to control playback such as Squeeze Commander
Larry

:

sharpsuxx

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2012, 07:53 pm »
Bonzite, you need to download PowerAMP, there is a free trial and then you must purchase the full version after 30 days.  As far as squeezeBox like playback, that is what I use PlexServer for it will read all files and will even serve video and photos, but it only transcodes flac and other lossless formats.

Bonzite51

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:53 am »
Yes now S3 plays also FLAC files even 24/96.
Due to Tenor TE8802 USB receiver/controller in my TEAC A-HO1 I need Android driver for  S3.
No any signs that TEAC will buy or ask to write one.

goingsolo

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2012, 12:17 pm »
I have a couple of questions before getting the S3.

- I think the stock S3 runs on IS 4.0.x.  In order to get S3 to output via USB, I must upgrade it to Jelly Beans?
- What types of USB DAC would I need since not all USB DAC have the same driver/chip?

Thanks.

sharpsuxx

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2012, 03:04 am »
I would go ahead and upgade to Jelly Bean since it is the latest OS,
There are many DACs that support this, I personally am using the very popular eastern electric MiniMax.