NHL Lockout.. Anyonhe down there care ?

Captainhemo

NHL Lockout.. Anyonhe down there care ?
« on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:01 pm »
I know it's really big news up here in Canada, but does anyone down inthe US even care  there is a lockout  going on  in the NHL ?  Don't look for this to be solved any time  soon either,  the two sides aren't even talking.
The NHL is saying that 18 of 30 teams are losing money. which I find  hard to believe. 
Not sure why Bettman  insists on  keeping  teams in the  "Sun Belt"  where it seems   there isn't a ton of support for the game.  Probably  a good start  to solving the  losing $$ issuses would be to move some of those teams  into  places where  there would be  a ton of support  and games would be sold out every  night for much  higher ticket prices.
Ticket prices are so high up here  that  going to games  is jusst about  out of reach for the average family :(

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: NHL Lockout.. Anyonhe down there care ?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:04 pm »
Yep, folks down south do care.  The last lockout almost killed hockey in the US from a network broadcast perspective.  It had gotten pretty big then poof lockout and viewership tumbled.
Mark

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2012, 04:05 pm »
YES! I care. Life with out Hockey sucks. Basketball and curling are no substitue. I also understand that the Canadian birth rate is expected to increase because of the strike. :lol:

Doc

Demarche

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2012, 06:14 pm »
Yes, we care and this sucks - millionaires fighting with billionaires  :duh:. I don't see any good outcome for us the fans. The only thing garanteed is at the end of this is that ticket prices will go up. Luckily, I live in a town with a good WHL Team - Go Winterhawks!

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2012, 06:19 pm »
Yes I do care.  I love Red Wings hockey and was looking forward to catching a game and hitting the Detroit audio show in one weekend.

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2012, 06:31 pm »
Yes, we care and this sucks - millionaires fighting with billionaires  :duh:. I don't see any good outcome for us the fans. The only thing garanteed is at the end of this is that ticket prices will go up. Luckily, I live in a town with a good WHL Team - Go Winterhawks!

Yup,  WHL is where it's going to be at this  season.  We too have a team,  the Kelowna Rockets  who are in  your division :)

I was really looking forward to seeing the Winter Classic  in the "big house"  come jan.  No one up here is  feeling  very confident that we'll see NHL hockey  this entire season.
And yes,  it's pretty pathetic seeing   them fighting over so much  money,  it's  pretty hard to sympathyize  with either side.
Let's hope this thing gets settled and they get this seson underway

-jay

PSB Guy

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2012, 08:42 pm »
All I can say is thank God for junior hockey. I' ve been a season ticket holder of the local team (Oshawa Generals - GO GENS GO) since the last lockout. It gets me through these times, plus you get the chance to see the stars of tomorrow.

Cornelis

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2012, 10:28 pm »
Couldn't give less of a rat's ass about hockey. Or most other sports either now that I think of it.

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2012, 10:45 pm »
Couldn't give less of a rat's ass about hockey. Or most other sports either now that I think of it.

so I gather you are bored reading the spectator sports threads  :)

dB Cooper

« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2012, 11:41 pm »
so I gather you are bored reading the spectator sports threads  :)
I do follow the boxing threads.

Hey, the guy did ask....

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2012, 12:15 am »
Nope,,, not in the least. Hell I care more about the NFL referee walkout than I do about the NHL lockout.  :thumb:

I'll stick with the NFL, NBA and NCAA basketball to fill my winter sports needs. It's not that I don't watch or follow Bruins hockey but it's really just an appitizer to my main course. Soccer on otherhand never even makes it to the dinner table.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2012, 05:08 am »
No.  I don't usually follow the minor league sports too closely.

DTB300

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:38 pm »
Absolutely love Hockey as I grew up with Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts every Tues/Sat (lived in Niagara Falls area).

But when Rich Owners are Rich Players are bitching about who should have what percentage of the Rich Money, and for the 2nd time now in just a couple of years, is out of hand.   The NHL worries about marketing the game to get more people to watch.  This just drives more people away IMO.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2012, 02:59 pm »
A year in Moscow may be what is needed for Ovie to get his mojo back.  Both sides lose in a lock out but let them play hard "puck."  It's fun seeing games live but I won't lose sleep over it.  They will have to discount hard to win back casual fans like me back. 

riffer

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:29 am »
It's not like I will miss seeing the Leafs lose.  I suppose I can watch the Raptors lose during the winter.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:43 am »
Last hockey strike allowed boxing to blossom in Montreal :thumb:.  Maybe we get some boxing on regular tv ...

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2012, 02:31 am »
As a Kings fan I have been waiting 20+ years and want to see the banner raised!

I think about all the little people like me who are really hurt by this. I happen to be unemployed at the moment.

Also as Kings fans we recently were shocked to learn that Kings blogger Rich Hammond lakingsinsider.com was asked to stop interviewing NHL players. He quit the next day. See jewelsfromthecrown.com for the inside scoop. Rich never mentioned why he quit. He is way too classy for that. His blog has now been taken over by the NHL.

Have you guys read the latest..??? http://deadspin.com/5951872/inside-a-secret-nhl-focus-group-how-a-top-gop-strategist-is-helping-hockey-owners-craft-their-lockout-propaganda?utm_source=gizmodo.com&utm_medium=recirculation&utm_campaign=recirculation

The NHL leadership has been an embarrassment for years.

It reminds me of our present political climate. All of them willing for the country to go over the falls just as long as right before the cliff, they are able to point and with a smug smile say: "It's all THEIR fault".

riffer

« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2012, 11:25 pm »
As a Kings fan I have been waiting 20+ years and want to see the banner raised!

Think of it this way, you can say the Kings held the Stanley Cup for two years.  I always remind people that the Jays were world champions for three years :)

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2012, 11:42 pm »
Think of it this way, you can say the Kings held the Stanley Cup for two years.  I always remind people that the Jays were world champions for three years :)
Me like, me like! :D

Randy

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2012, 11:50 pm »
Another Wings fan here who feels it will be a long, long winter here in Wyoming without 3 or 4 Red Wings games on TV every week, not to mention my one or two trips each year to Denver to watch them beat the Avs. So yes, I care.