Olive music servers

50jess

Olive music servers
« on: 9 Jan 2012, 09:14 am »
Do you have impressions on the Olive music servers?  Will music servers put CD players to extinction?

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
Re: Olive music servers
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2012, 12:54 pm »

toddbagwell

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2012, 06:57 pm »
Do you have impressions on the Olive music servers?  Will music servers put CD players to extinction?

Olive seems to have a good product. They are fanless, and I've seen many favorable reviews of several of their products.

The downsides seem to be a small screen, but with smartphone or tablets, it is less of an issue.

Like with many things, lots of opinions on what makes for the perfect server, you won't go wrong with an olive, but certain tweaks and upgrades will be easier with a PC that has commonly-sized parts.

As to the extinction of CD players, No i think CD players will be with us for a long time. I think too many CDs have been sold for them to just go away entirely. Sure something else will come along, and CDs will fall into a niche market, but they won't ever go away completely.

todd

firedog

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2012, 12:47 pm »
Olives are good units. The target market for Olive is users who want computer audio without the feeling of having a computer. Server as an audio appliance, as it were. In theory, they basically operate like a CD deck or a phone, and you don't feel like you're working with a computer, but an audio component. All HW and SW player, server, and DAC components are contained inside the unit.

Made for the living room (cosmetics are high level) and it's only one box, so it also saves space and eliminates lots of cables and wires. So you pay for convenience and looks.

Sound is good. You can spend less than a particular Olive unit and get better sound,  and better sound than their best unit for less money than it costs. But you probably won't get the looks, convenience, and all in one box convenience for less than what Olive is offering.

It all depends on your priorities, you willingess to fiddle with a computer/server, and your willingess to add a DAC into your system, which is what most computer audiophiles do.

briang

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2012, 03:06 pm »
I own the 4HD, so I might be able to offer some additional considerations:
•   The dac portion of the Olive is not as good as my Cambridge DacMagic.
•   The wireless reception is week and I had to add two aftermarket antennas ($15 total) that really helped.
•   The smart phone app is a must for navigation.
•   The Olive’s internal data storage is proprietary.  If you use the Olive to burn CDs, you will need to re-burn the CDs if you migrate to another device.
•   The one box solution is very clean and functions well in a family environment.  I am married with a three year old – my wife has no issues using the system and my son does not trip over any extra wires.

In the end, I do not feel any attachment to the Olive.  Yet, I am not sure that a better alternative is obvious for me.  The Bryston and PS Audio solutions look interesting.

Brian

david12

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2012, 03:08 pm »
I went to an interesting demo of discless reproduction in my local store before Christmass. They had the Olive 04 and 06 in 1 room with Krell and Kef Blade speakers, next door was a Naim HDX, with Naim electronics and Sonus Faber standmounts, arguably , not as high quality.

the 06 was clearly better than the 04, but the Naim definitely better than both, more detail, dynamics, better in every way. The other listeners seemed to agree