The journey continues;
After several months of experimentation with modifying the crossovers by adding an RC network across the tweeter , 3rd order capacitor to the tweeter (many different values) and a parallel capacitor to the LF driver , I ended up with only the RC network with values of 8 ohm ,2.2 . The other modifications ended up removing so much valid musical information that left the music lifeless. I tried particularly hard to find a 3rd order capacitor that wouldn't screw up the phase alignment with the mid -driver but was unable to while retaining the first series capacitor of 6.
The RC network was successful in significantly reducing the HF harshness I was experiencing without robbing musicality. At this point ,I felt as thou I had achieved my original goal to reduce listening fatigue and a smoother presentation.
In the process of examining the XO board , Jeff identified the magnetic standoffs, driver wiring for mid and high ,binding posts and capacitors and resistors as candidates for upgrades . The 4 coils were left alone. Since changing all of those components was inside my budgetary target , I went for it. All but the binding posts have been running for over 75 hours now ...
Soundstage has become a wall of images , slightly wider but very 3 dimensional. The previous conical blare was eliminated. Layers of detail in good recordings were revealed . Things like ambiance cues,and reflections were evident. What I thought was a smooth presentation, became much smoother ,more listenable. I am finding myself listening at more volume dial because of the ease of the presentation. Don't get me wrong, My speakers still have some issues but I spend most of my time listening to music now instead of listening to my equipment. Very satisfied!
Jeff had told me early on that once I settle on the XO arrangement I will have attained some improvement in sound. He also told me that substituting the components that he recommended would take it to a whole new level. The new components have indeed exceeded my expectations. I have yet to install the new binding posts which should only augment the improvement.
I have about $150 in new parts running in the speakers now. Even thou I had minimal soldering experience I had no trouble pulling this off. I did have quite a few "what if " phone conversations with Jeff during the experimentation phase and a few during the actual modification of the XO circuit board. He kept me straight during the entire process.. Thanks Jeff
For those who can't hear the improvement in upgrading capacitors and resistors in speaker crossovers, I can only think that there is some part of your system that is overriding the benefit. Maybe my speaker was in the sweet spot for this type of upgrade. Whatever the reason I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY that I finally bit the bullet.