Power Amps w/Vandersteen?

Andy T

Power Amps w/Vandersteen?
« on: 1 Jul 2008, 03:21 am »
Does anyone use Channel Island power amps with Vandersteen speakers? Or heard such a combination?

I have pre-Signature 2Ce speakers. I'm wondering if the D-100s would be a good match. Or if the D-200s would be more appropriate.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Power Amps w/Vandersteen?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2008, 11:36 am »
Vandys aught to be relatively easy loads with their 1st order crossovers, but room size could be a factor.  OTOH the difference between 100 watts and 200 watts is only 3 dB.

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2008, 02:29 pm »
Andy,

I have heard Vandersteen 2CE signatures with more than a dozen amplifiers, solid state, class D, and tube amplifiers.  If you are looking for that seductive mid-range tube amplifiers work very well - Quicksilver, Bill Baker's Bella amplifiers, Mesa Baron, Audio Research's tube offerings and AES Six Pack amplifiers all sound superb and you'll need at least 60 watts of tube power for them to sound best.  You lose a bit of bass control compared to a solid state amplifier, but the sound is oh so seductive.

Solid state amplifiers - well here you get better bass control (important consideration is you listen to a lot of full range music).  Recommendations include the BEL 1001 MKV (with one of the best pairings I have ever heard), McCormack .5 Rev. A,  & Theta Citadel monoblocks.  I have a modified Don Nance LA100 solid state amplifier (100 watts/channel) paired with a tube preamplifier that sound very good with the Vandy's.  Gordy has listened to my system extensively and might share some observations.   I think it sounds a tad better than the BEL 1001 MKV, as my combination has a real vice like grip on the bass and more natural sounding midrange.

Alas I have not heard the Vandy's with Dusty Varter's Channel Island amplifiers.  I would expect the CI D-100's would provide you with many hours of great listening pleasure, particularly if you pair the amplifier with a good tube preamplfier. 

Andy, hopefully you can find someone with a good room set-up and pair of Vandersteen 2CE signature speakers and Channel Island D-100's.  The best judge is always your ears. 

While I don't have the CI's if you live in the Phildelphia/Wilmington DE area or might be by the area in the distant future, you're welcome to listen to my set up. Cheers and good luck with your amplifier search.

NB

Leegross

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2008, 07:14 pm »
Hi Andy,

Do you live in SoCal by any chance?

Lee

Andy T

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2008, 01:39 pm »
NB & Lee,

I'm in Milwaukee, WI. Going to either coast seems like a long way to go for an audition.

NB-I'd not heard of BL or Don Nance before. Neither seem to have an active website anymore. Did you buy your gear used?

Andy

nature boy

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2008, 02:17 pm »
Did you buy your gear used?

Andy,

No I bought my amp new, but the BEL and Don Nance amps are no longer in production. 

Don built about 2 dozen or so of his amplifiers and I was fortunate to pick one up new from him.  The LA100 is an extensively rebuilt Applied Research & Technology (ART) SLA-1 amplifier.  The amp includes huge power supply capacitors, Cardas copper speaker terminals, and cyrogenically treated silver wire throughout.  There is a picture of the amp in my gallery. Don further modified the amp a couple years ago with some of Chris VenHaus's magic VCap OIMP capacitors.  Sweet!

The BEL's come up used on Agon occassionally, Don's amps come up VERY infrequently.

NB

nature boy

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2008, 02:23 pm »
Andy,

I believe Ultra Fidelis in Milwaukee, WI is a authorized Vandy dealer.  They also carry Audio Research electronics.  You might want to visit and listen to some different combinations to help you with your decision.  :wink:

NB

Andy T

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2008, 07:46 pm »
NB,

I'm familair with Ultra Fidelis. That's where I bought my speakers. I've heard some awesome demos of larger Vandersteen speakers powered by monster ARC tube amps there.

ARC gear is sort of the opposite of what interests me about CIA gear though. I'm looking for some amps that are compact, cool running and "cost effective". Not especially audiophile criteria. But its what I have to deal with.

Ultra Fidelis handles both Parasound & their Halo lines. I've thought about theor amps as well.

Andy

nature boy

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2008, 10:12 pm »
Andy,

Given your criteria the Channel Islands D-100 monoblocks sound like a perfect choice.  If you are at all hesitant in your choice, you might want to pick up a pair from Music Direct.   They have a 30 day money back guarantee policy:

MusicDirect offers a 30-day money back guarantee on most equipment/accessories (excluding fluids, pastes, aerosols, special order items, and close-out items, none of which are returnable).

Good luck and let us know how they sound with your Vandy's.  100 watts/channel ought to drive your speakers with great authority and listening pleasure.

NB

tvyankee

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2008, 11:30 pm »
hello

i know the guy in new jersey who is hosting a upcoming ny rave uses pass labs and belles amps with very good results.

hope this helps.

JerryH

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2008, 12:25 pm »
I am very happy with the D200's paired with my Vandy 3 sigs. I posted some time ago about that and the amp it replaced (McCormack DNA 1 RevA Gold). I've had them around 2 years and am thoroughly satisfied. I really think they bring out the best  of the Vandy's. The parade of amps ended with these.