Speakers That Sound Good at Low Volume

chipperman

Re: Speakers That Sound Good at Low Volume
« Reply #20 on: 1 Feb 2014, 12:32 am »
I've been sitting here listening to my Danny Richie modified VMPS 626's at 45-50 db, and just heard the Four Seasons Opus 17 off of Direct TV satellite. Very full and balanced, and the impact and weight of the horns was not dimished at all. In fact, it actually sounded clearer that it does at ear bleed volumes. Vocals at these low levels on these speakers with the planar magnetic mid and ribbon tweeter is so realistic it is hair raising. Although they are not one of those 100db sensitive units, I would argue that that spec alone is not all there is to the equation.

Folsom

« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2014, 12:50 am »
Devices that do current well seem to be ideal. But I've found the better the volume control, the better the low volume. Pot's and other things that just have too much signal running through too much plastic or low quality resistors won't retain the magic.

Guy 13

« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2014, 12:56 am »
Omega Speakers have a circle right here at Audio Circle. Louis is a gem to work with, his workmanship is wonderful, and he sweats all the details.

Another quality, affordable, American line of products is Decware, maker of small tube amps that happen to pair up with Omega type of speakers.
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I already own a Decware SE84C+ amplifier
and I should receive any day my Omega 7F
I will then be able to confirm what JLM just wrote,
not that I don't believe him.

Guy 13

dB Cooper

« Reply #23 on: 1 Feb 2014, 02:58 am »
And some, not so much: I have heard several of the classic Henry Kloss designs: KLH6, Advent, Cambridge Soundworks. Even the Tivoli One radio shares this trait: They all don't really "open up" until cranked a bit. Agree/disagree?

dB Cooper

« Reply #24 on: 1 Feb 2014, 03:06 am »
Guy 13, I think ZigFlits is after speakers that deliver good sound at low background levels, for not annoying a neighbor or housemate, not listening in bed next to a sleeping spouse. Am I more or less correct, ZigFlits?

Headphones are still a good solution though!

Guy 13

« Reply #25 on: 1 Feb 2014, 05:25 am »
Guy 13, I think ZigFlits is after speakers that deliver good sound at low background levels, for not annoying a neighbor or housemate, not listening in bed next to a sleeping spouse. Am I more or less correct, ZigFlits?

Hi dB Cooper and all Audio Circle members.
I never listen to music with my headphones, because she always fall asleep while TV is on.
Very often, listening to music late in the evening with headphones, makes me fall asleep very quickly, regardless of the type of music I listen to.
The other thing about headphones, is that you cannot sleep on your side, you have to sleep on your back.
But that's me.

Guy 13

Quiet Earth

« Reply #26 on: 1 Feb 2014, 07:06 pm »
While I agree that Audio Circle has mainly evolved into a place for people to sell their products and services, the very first speaker I thought of when I read this thread was SoundLab. I have owned three different SoundLab models in the past, and it is true, they pretty much fill the room the same way when played quietly as they do loudly. They are not without their own set of issues, but they definitely fit the OP's quest.

So do the PMCs. And I'm sure the rest suggested.

For the most part, I believe that the amp has more to do with it than the speaker, but yeah,  there are some speakers that can pull off the bonsai trick no matter what you feed 'em. I don't understand the popular "amps with high current" vote though. I think SETs do the low volume thing the very best overall, and I don't think those are high current amps. Or are they?

Also, when you get below 65dB SPL peaks, you are really asking for a small miracle.

ZigFlitz

« Reply #27 on: 3 Feb 2014, 12:23 am »

Thanks dB Cooper. You're right, I wasn't asking opinions about listening in bed because I do have the headphone option. I was interested in late-night listening in another room so I don't disturb anyone. (I can only listen to headphones for short stretches of time and I find both the over-the-ear and in-ear types too uncomfortable for long-term (multiple hours) use.)

ZigFlitz

« Reply #28 on: 3 Feb 2014, 12:36 am »
Sound Lab electrostatic panels, which are not high efficiency, excel at retaining all their richness and full timbre at low levels.

Another major factor here is the quality of the volume control. Many preamps employ a potentiometer (variable resistor)to attenuate the signal, which is a compromise. Better designs use stepped attenuation through a series of discreet high quality resistors, which is better, but still results in a change in the basic sound character at different loudness levels. Thus the common loss of much of what we love in our systems when played at low levels. Better yet is the unique circuitry used by Ayre in their KX-R preamp which does not attenuate the signal, but controls the actual gain of the preamp,  resulting in no change in the character of the sound from quiet to loud. Almost all other designs suffer from this phenomenon, making low level listening less than satisfactory.

You bring up an interesting observation MtnHam. By concidence, yesterday I read a few Magnepan 1.7 reviews and two audio critics (one of them writing in The Absolute Sound) mentioned that the 1.7s had decent dynamics at low-volume levels.

I haven't auditioned the new Magneplanar 1.7s or 3.7s but I wonder if newer planar speakers with good-quality electronics behind them is an alternative to high-efficiency and low-power class A amplifiers. Comments?

viggen

« Reply #29 on: 3 Feb 2014, 12:38 am »
Small monitor speakers with a large sub is good for low level listening.  The monitors will give you the details while the sub will move a lot of air.

I set up a system like this before using NHT superzeros and a velodyne 18" sub.  Great for low level listening around the house.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #30 on: 3 Feb 2014, 03:58 am »
I wonder if newer planar speakers with good-quality electronics behind them is an alternative to high-efficiency and low-power class A amplifiers. Comments?

Yes, I think so.

The best sound I ever got from my SoundLabs was with my little Cary Audio SLA-70A tube amp. A 35 watt per channel push pull amp using two EL34 tubes per side. That was a very nice and full sounding combo at low to moderate volume levels. Of course it could not play excessively loud without breaking up in the bass, but it was plenty loud for most occasions of reasonable volume listening. I eventually upgraded the amp for more power and control, and I lost some of that low volume magic. I'll bet there is a low to medium powered amp out there that sounds really good with Magnepans at low volume. Ask the people in the planar circle.

I don't think you will need a sub if your goal is to not disturb anyone else in the house. The deep lows from a sub will probably go through the walls and defeat the purpose. Sometimes bass is stronger the further you get away from your listening seat, so you wouldn't even be aware of it. I could be wrong but that is just my gut feel.

I don't think you need to go down very low in frequency to get the impression of full sound and liveliness at low volume levels. Most recordings don't really bloom at ultra low volume levels anyway. That's just par for the course. Just my gut again.

viggen

« Reply #31 on: 3 Feb 2014, 07:11 pm »
Well that all depends on how you use the sub and which sub you use.  Certainly, a home theater sub and/or undersized sub would not work well in this application.  These will produce more boom than actual air moving.  That's why I went with the largest sub available, set it at low volume, and let it provide enough "feel" that otherwise would be missing at lower volume.  The Velodyne sub is a downward firing variety that is very smooth and doesn't produce any of the boom that is generally associated with lesser subs, so it shouldn't disturb neighbors and such. 

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #32 on: 3 Feb 2014, 07:32 pm »
You bring up an interesting observation MtnHam. By concidence, yesterday I read a few Magnepan 1.7 reviews and two audio critics (one of them writing in The Absolute Sound) mentioned that the 1.7s had decent dynamics at low-volume levels.

I haven't auditioned the new Magneplanar 1.7s or 3.7s but I wonder if newer planar speakers with good-quality electronics behind them is an alternative to high-efficiency and low-power class A amplifiers. Comments?

I'll pipe in - the .7 series comes alive at lower volumes than the previous models.  That was one of the selling points to me.
If you really want good sound at low volumes, you want the 20.7s. 
I would think that a speaker as large as the Sound Labs are would also fill the room quite nicely at low levels.
There's many different ways to skin a cat and gigantic planars are one sure way.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #33 on: 3 Feb 2014, 07:36 pm »
In general I find high sensitivity speakers to generally sound better than low sensitivity speakers at low volumes.  Stuff like Audiokinesis and the GR Research V series sound amazing at low volumes.