BDA-3 DAC

dmdm

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1260 on: 5 Jun 2020, 10:47 am »
Hello all, I have just bought a bda3 from simcoe audio video to add to my bha1 and 4bsst2,  and I'd like to set the driver up for my windows 7 laptop, but the manual has bryston.com/drivers which is a dead link. Where can I get the drivers so I can use the dac? Thanks fellas.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1261 on: 5 Jun 2020, 11:00 am »
Hello all, I have just bought a bda3 from simcoe audio video to add to my bha1 and 4bsst2,  and I'd like to set the driver up for my windows 7 laptop, but the manual has bryston.com/drivers which is a dead link. Where can I get the drivers so I can use the dac? Thanks fellas.

Hi There

Email Mike at Bryston please - mpickett@bryston.com

james

dmdm

« Reply #1262 on: 5 Jun 2020, 11:10 am »
Thanks James, much appreciated.  Ps I absolutely love your gear! I really give your bha1 kudos on headfi.org!

patrickm

« Reply #1263 on: 5 Jun 2020, 04:53 pm »
Thanks James, much appreciated.  Ps I absolutely love your gear! I really give your bha1 kudos on headfi.org!

here: http://support.bryston.com/downloads/USB%20Drivers/

dmdm

« Reply #1264 on: 6 Jun 2020, 09:35 am »
Thank you.

Pundamilia

« Reply #1265 on: 6 Jun 2020, 03:33 pm »
Any ideas James?

Hi Ola,

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I just tried to update the firmware on my BDA-3 and had exactly the same result. Even thought the msg came back that the firmware update was successful, if I go to the Bryston support page, it still shows the old version of the firmware, even if I click on "Refresh List" in the bottom left hand corner. Also, if I access the BDA-3 with a browser now , I get a msg:

404: File not found
Use MPFS Upload to program web pages

What was your experience in the end?

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

dmdm

« Reply #1266 on: 8 Jun 2020, 10:47 am »
Hey guys, the bda3 arrives today and I'll be running Tidal as the file source. I currently have Tidal configured that controls the output file depth to my benchmark dac3, and I'm assuming I leave the same parameters in place and it will do the same to the bda3? After I install the firmware and have the bda3 hooked up to the laptop I'm assuming I select the bda in tidal as the receiving component and all will be well. Thanks.

RobL

« Reply #1267 on: 8 Jun 2020, 10:04 pm »
Hi Ola,

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I just tried to update the firmware on my BDA-3 and had exactly the same result. Even thought the msg came back that the firmware update was successful, if I go to the Bryston support page, it still shows the old version of the firmware, even if I click on "Refresh List" in the bottom left hand corner. Also, if I access the BDA-3 with a browser now , I get a msg:

404: File not found
Use MPFS Upload to program web pages

What was your experience in the end?

Same problem here

Pundamilia

« Reply #1268 on: 9 Jun 2020, 03:26 am »
Other than the conflicting msgs about the update and the error msg when I try to access the BDA-3 by computer, everything seems to be working normally. Are you having the same experience ?

schmidtmike76

« Reply #1269 on: 9 Jun 2020, 12:10 pm »
Do we have to do updates?  I’ve never had mine plugged into the internet and if so how do you update.

ToXXXa

« Reply #1270 on: 9 Jun 2020, 06:56 pm »
Same problem here

bokko

« Reply #1271 on: 12 Jun 2020, 05:30 pm »
Just trying to decide between the BDA-3 and BDA-3.14.

Does anyone use a BDA-3 or 3.14 with a Denon 1930ci (doesn't work) or Oppo BDP-83se connected to HDMI to play SACD?

Thanks
Stay safe

« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2020, 12:19 pm by bokko »

dmdm

« Reply #1272 on: 13 Jun 2020, 01:22 am »
Hi guys, so the bda3 is great, but every time I plug my system in, the dac does not recognize the computer until I unplug and plug the dac back in,  then no issues. Is there something I'm missing here?

bokko

« Reply #1273 on: 14 Jun 2020, 12:12 am »
If the computer is asleep and DAC isn't working when it awakens you could try link below.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-turning-usb-devices

If that doesn't help there is also a setting in device manager. Namely disabling USB power management on HOST USB Controllers.
This forces USB port not to fall asleep when computer goes to sleep. Now this could change the way other USB devices plugged in behave. Usually just they don't turn off anymore to save power.
Trial and error. There are tools that help you determine what is connected to which USB controller.

Cheers
Stay safe

owlsalum1

« Reply #1274 on: 14 Jun 2020, 04:53 pm »
Ok so I just loaded the latest firmware update to my BDA-3 per the prompt I received when I checked the web page (I check every once and a while for firmware updates). Pulling down the bin file as directed, then loading it to the DAC. The DAC will play, but now I seem to have lost the web page, the virtual front panel, the lot. Not happy about that. On my BDP-3 web page the BDA-3 will show as detected, but clicking on it gets me an irritating 404 error and yet another MPFS Upload prompt (which I've already done). I want my BDA-3 virtual front panel back. I would even revert to the previous firmware if that's what it takes to recover that feature. Anyone know why this is happening or how to correct it?

GSchrader

« Reply #1275 on: 14 Jun 2020, 10:56 pm »
The loss of the network interface is a known problem with the 2020.04C firmware.  I reported this to Mike Pickett at Bryston on 6/1/2020.  The next day, Mike provided me with the previous firmware to allow me to revert to that (network interface functions on that version).  He also said he had asked Engineering to look into this issue.  On 6/10/2020 I asked Mike for an update, and suggested that they pull the defective firmware from the download page and replace it with the previous version.  I received no response to this e-mail.  As you can see, the troublesome firmware is still available on the download page.

For everyone that's in the same boat with this defective firmware, I urge you to e-mail Mike at mpickett@bryston.com and let him know that you're experiencing this problem too and that you're not happy with the lack of response from Bryston.

Gerald

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1276 on: 15 Jun 2020, 01:05 am »
Hi Guys

I was not aware there was an issue with the new software.  I will look into it.

james

The Rang

« Reply #1277 on: 15 Jun 2020, 01:28 am »
I have no idea which firmware I have, (i’ve never touched it, the DAC was purchased in October 2018) but I notice that if the source is turned on before the DAC, the DAC sometimes won’t recognize it.
Is that an HDMI handshake issue? My solution is to turn the DAC on first followed by the universal player.

Also, what do these updates typically do: resolve functional issues? Is there any change in sound quality/characteristics?

Pundamilia

« Reply #1278 on: 15 Jun 2020, 04:03 am »
I had the same experience as owlsalum1 and reported it in this thread, but heard nothing from Bryston, even though several other owners indicated that they had also had this problem.

After attempting the upgrade, it is impossible to tell if the firmware upgraded correctly or not because afterwards, you get a msg that the update was successful, yet something has corrupted the interface and if you go to MyBryston, it indicates that the software is still at the older version.

RobL

« Reply #1279 on: 16 Jun 2020, 10:13 pm »
I had the same experience during the upgrade, used the Contact Us form at the Bryston website on June 8th and have not heard a peep  Not a peep!