Apple TV hardware vs Apple TV on TV

Uncle Elvis

Apple TV hardware vs Apple TV on TV
« on: 23 May 2020, 04:55 pm »
I just bought an Apple TV box because the family wants to show their photos and videos and such from their iPhones on the TV. We need a new TV also. While researching TVs I discovered that most TVs have Apple TV on them and all the photo/video stuff can shared via AirPlay.
So, is there a compelling reason to keep the Apple TV hardware versus just using Apple TV on the TV? Should I put the $200 towards a new TV?

avta

Re: Apple TV hardware vs Apple TV on TV
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2020, 05:38 pm »
You may be confusing the Apple TV hardware with the software application on the TV. The hardware Apple TV gives you access to numerous applications for movies via the Apple application along with all the other apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. Most of the newer tv's have these same applications built in but won't have the Apple specific applications.

Uncle Elvis

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2020, 10:07 pm »
That is my understanding as well. My question is if the tv has Apple TV are there additional benefits to using the hardware? As far as I can tell the primary benefits to the hardware are the App Store and storage (64GB).

avta

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2020, 11:16 pm »
I’m not familiar with the Apple TV channel. You would have to try it out to see what the content is. I have an Apple TV that I no longer use as our Sony tv has sufficient access to movies etc.

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2020, 11:33 pm »
The hardware may possibly give you access to files (pics, videos, music) associated with your iCloud account directly from the Apple TV without a phone or tablet being involved. It should also give you Siri voice control.

I would search youtube for videos on its capabilities, ditto for the Apple TV app included on TVs.

jhm731

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2020, 01:05 am »
I have an Apple TV 4K on an older Samsung Plasma TV.

I really like the Siri Remote and long battery life.

skunark

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2020, 02:37 am »
The Apple TV "app" on smart TVs like Samsung and LG might be missing "Apple TV Apps" as the "app makers" have to approve non-apple devices.   To many "apps" in that sentence.. lol

Since most streaming services don't want to pay the Apple tax, you will have to enable their streaming apps within the Smart TV causing login and billing fragmentation for the consumer.   As an Apple user, apple is the horses arse here, i hope where ever they sell their products those stores take a 30% cut on the apple products they sell, it would only be fair.

So, if you want a single place to search and select shows for HBO, SHO, Hulu, Amazon apps you will want an Apple TV 4k over the Samsung App.  Netflix is kinda having a temper tantrum over all of this, so they don't really enable the search within Apple TV or now allow AirPlay from tablets to anything.       

I don't like the Samsung advertisements so I don't allow the TV to connect to the internet and will continue to use an Apple TV for the foreseeable future.    I don't really like the idea of paying for the pleasure to watch advertisements and the expensive of the Apple TV just to avoid the endless drug and political advertisements is worth it.   I'm perfectly okay with watching or listening to them OTA TV and Radio when i'm not time-shifting it.

Jim