Streaming from iTunes library

vinyl_lady

Streaming from iTunes library
« on: 29 Mar 2020, 06:39 pm »
I use my iTunes library for casual background listening. I homeshare from my Lenovo laptop to my audio system via an AppleTV 4 connected to my Oppo 105D. Works great for my needs since my serious listening is via vinyl.

I set up a second system using some older gear to power speakers in my hot tub room and outdoor speakers on my deck. My current music sources are a Nakamichi MB 2 CD player and a Rotel tuner. I'm using a Nakamichi CA-5A pre amp that I've owned since it was new in the 80s.

Is there an Apple product like the AppleTV that I could connect to my Nakamichi pre amp that would allow me to stream from my iTunes library? Obviously, I would need to be able to connect it using RCA connectors.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Stay safe everyone

srb

Re: Streaming from iTunes library
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2020, 07:39 pm »
You can stream your iTunes audio library via a wireless Airport Express and AirPlay.

Apple discontinued its networking products a few years ago, but they are still currently available as certified refurbished from Apple for $49.  Of course, there are plenty on the used market as well.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FC414LL/A/airport-express-base-station

It has a combo analog/optical audio output, so you would just use a 3.5mm (1/8") stereo phone plug to 2 X RCA plug cable for your analog setup.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2020, 08:51 pm »
Thank you very much!

Doublej

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2020, 12:03 pm »
Thank you very much!

I hope you got the last one. It's Out of Stock when I clicked on it.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2020, 03:32 pm »
Apple was out of stock so I found a used one on eBay for $60 including shipping. seller guaranteed it worked. Thanks to a couple of really good YouTube videos, I was able to reset it to factory defaults and then go through the set up process to connect it as an extension of my existing network. I plugged it into my preamp using a 3.5 to RCA plug, went to iTunes and chose Airport Express as additional speakers and viola, I can play my entire iTunes library through my outdoor speaker system.

Many thanks to srb for your help.

Stay safe everyone!

Laura

jbryngelson

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2020, 12:45 pm »
I thought airplay and airport product was a no-no for high-quality audio reproduction, NO?

DeSelbyofDalkey

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2020, 12:42 pm »
I thought airplay and airport product was a no-no for high-quality audio reproduction, NO?

iTunes playing through an Airport Express are not quite top-level audio, but for redbook-quality (16/44.1) audio they work nicely. I used an Airport Express for a long time with very good results. The Airport output can go directly into an amp/preamp or the digital output can go into a DAC.

That said, connecting the computer directly to the DAC can make a significant improvement, but for background or casual listening, the Airport Express is a good option.