Thoughts on the new C8 Corvette anyone .........

kartmancob

Re: Thoughts on the new C8 Corvette anyone .........
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jul 2019, 02:04 pm »
I'm impressed. I do not think I know anyone who understands so much about the topic. You need to make a career of it, honestly, great site
https://onlineessaywritingservice592.blogspot.com

mhconley

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jul 2019, 02:56 pm »
I have never been a Chevy fan, am not now a Chevy fan, and never will be a Chevy fan. :D But that there is one downright sexy beast. And that price! I think I would if I found the means...

Martin

Scott F.

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jul 2019, 05:12 pm »
Somehow, James Pumphrey (Donut Media on Facebook) got his hands on the new C8. James is an acquired sense of humor so don't slam the vid too bad. The vid gives a little closer look at the new C8. No road test, no look underneath or much substantial but the vid is worth a watch. At $60k, this could be the bargain of the century (in terms of performance cars).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-JiQZPiIXU

nc42acc

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jul 2019, 06:34 pm »
No more buggy springs!!!  Will make my Grand Sport seem archaic.

orientalexpress

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jul 2019, 09:42 pm »
anybody know what the dealer mark up going to be?seem like the first year pre-order is about to be sold out.

drphoto

« Reply #25 on: 31 Jul 2019, 10:09 pm »
All I can say is WOW! GM is building a world class super car for less than $100K. There's been a lot of talk about the $60K starting price. I suspect that it will be like the mythical $35K Tesla 3. I will never own one, but even if they sell on average for $75K, it looks like one hell of bargain. I think the car looks great. I think my least favorite view is the rear. I almost wish they revived to old round tail light design but I understand car companies adopt a 'design language' for their products and this fits with the current vision.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #26 on: 1 Aug 2019, 05:38 am »
I like it, if they can keep the engine temperatures down..
 :popcorn:

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #27 on: 1 Aug 2019, 12:33 pm »
meh...

Id rather something that looks like a quarter mile North American car, than
some european based look. But with the same (better) HP and twist.

Thinking Hellcat.... :popcorn:

I agree. They need to make a lightweight stripped down version dedicated for the drag strip.

Very few people ever buy a new Corvette and run them around the road courses that they were designed for. The chances of sliding them down a guardrail or swapping paint with another car is inevitable if they are driven hard. And that could prove very expensive. So it is very rare to see them on a track.

However they are on drag strips all over the country every weekend. This past weekend, at an event we held at our local drag strip, we had about 40 Corvettes show up.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #28 on: 1 Aug 2019, 01:47 pm »
  Where was this gem when I could climb in and out of cars like that ? Great American car.

charles

Wind Chaser

« Reply #29 on: 1 Aug 2019, 02:04 pm »
For sure, this is a serious turning point for the vette. No doubt it will impact European sports car sales, especially in America.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #30 on: 1 Aug 2019, 02:32 pm »
I agree. They need to make a lightweight stripped down version dedicated for the drag strip.

Very few people ever buy a new Corvette and run them around the road courses that they were designed for. The chances of sliding them down a guardrail or swapping paint with another car is inevitable if they are driven hard. And that could prove very expensive. So it is very rare to see them on a track.

However they are on drag strips all over the country every weekend. This past weekend, at an event we held at our local drag strip, we had about 40 Corvettes show up.

How do you think the drag-racabiltiy would be affected by mid engine?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #31 on: 1 Aug 2019, 03:31 pm »

How do you think the drag-racabiltiy would be affected by mid engine?

It is not the right type of rear suspension for drag racing. But they never really had a good suspension for drag racing.

ricmon

« Reply #32 on: 1 Aug 2019, 03:37 pm »

Folks take their vetts to track day all over the country.  You can find lots of vids on YouTube.

Ric

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #33 on: 1 Aug 2019, 03:46 pm »
Folks take their vetts to track day all over the country.  You can find lots of vids on YouTube.

Ric

There are not that many road coarse tracks in the US. But there are small drag strips everywhere. And the number of Vette's that run weekly on a road coarse is nothing compared to how many show up at local drag strips.

And the risk of destroying a Vette on a road coarse is MUCH higher than the risk of hurting one at the drag strip. 

twitch54

« Reply #34 on: 1 Aug 2019, 05:38 pm »

Chevy does already, it's called a COPO Camaro.

Building a stripped down Corvette for drag racing makes no sense what so ever, corporately speaking.

twitch54

« Reply #35 on: 1 Aug 2019, 05:40 pm »
anybody know what the dealer mark up going to be?seem like the first year pre-order is about to be sold out.

my dealer (Criswell Chevrolet, Gaithersburg, Md), no mark up

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #36 on: 1 Aug 2019, 06:31 pm »
Chevy does already, it's called a COPO Camaro.

Building a stripped down Corvette for drag racing makes no sense what so ever, corporately speaking.

The problem with the COPO Camaro is that it is a track only car with no title.

Is there a demand for such a car? Yes indeed. Enough to warrant a production run to be made. Probably not.  :(

twitch54

« Reply #37 on: 1 Aug 2019, 06:52 pm »
The problem with the COPO Camaro is that it is a track only car with no title.

Is there a demand for such a car? Yes indeed. Enough to warrant a production run to be made. Probably not.  :(

Danny, first off I don't know how many tracks you've been too but to say that Vettes are rarely seen tells me you haven't been to many !

A couple weeks back the local Porsche club rented out the Glen for the weekend, there were damn near as many Vettes there as Porsches !!

In so far as drag racing, I'm a long time bracket racer and I can tell you Corvette is by no means the dominant car. I suspect what you're referring to is a bunch of 'grudge racing' done at most drag strips around the country, mostly weekend warriors with very little skill.

no if ands  or butts the C8 is meant for serious road action and in no way will that heavy turd (Hellcat / Demon) do anything but look at it's taillights on a road course !

nc42acc

« Reply #38 on: 1 Aug 2019, 06:59 pm »
BMW Club Racer Here. Road Courses within a days drive of me in Winston Salem NC.

Virginia International Raceway
Carolina Motorsports Park
Road Atlanta
Roebling Road Raceway
Summit Point Motorsports Park
New Jersey Motorsport Park
Pittsburgh International Race Complex
Dominion Raceway

There are not that many road coarse tracks in the US. But there are small drag strips everywhere. And the number of Vette's that run weekly on a road coarse is nothing compared to how many show up at local drag strips.

And the risk of destroying a Vette on a road coarse is MUCH higher than the risk of hurting one at the drag strip.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #39 on: 1 Aug 2019, 07:56 pm »
Danny, first off I don't know how many tracks you've been too but to say that Vettes are rarely seen tells me you haven't been to many !

A couple weeks back the local Porsche club rented out the Glen for the weekend, there were damn near as many Vettes there as Porsches !!

In so far as drag racing, I'm a long time bracket racer and I can tell you Corvette is by no means the dominant car. I suspect what you're referring to is a bunch of 'grudge racing' done at most drag strips around the country, mostly weekend warriors with very little skill.

no if ands  or butts the C8 is meant for serious road action and in no way will that heavy turd (Hellcat / Demon) do anything but look at it's taillights on a road course !

My point is that there are not that many road coarse's out there. And I bet most of the Vettes running them are not brand new. I bet most are C5 or C6's bought used and built up.

I am a long time bracket racer myself. And no new car has a chance against a skilled driver in a car built for bracket racing even in a bracket race.

And yes, those guys are weekend warriors with little experience. But they are out there at drag strips all over the place. Those Vettes see more time on the drag strip than any other type of track by far. So one has to wonder, if that is where they are being used, then should the manufacturer take notice. Maybe in the grand scheme of things it is a niche market just like high end audio.

And I agree, those Hellcats and Demons have no business on a road coarse.

If I were a buyer of a new Vette right now I'd be wanting to know how well the computers are encrypted. So does everyone else in the aftermarket industry.