Finally, Roxy The Movie is here!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Finally, Roxy The Movie is here!
« on: 18 Dec 2015, 10:37 pm »
This is kind of like unicorn dung but today is the day.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
Re: Finally, Roxy The Movie is here!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2015, 03:06 am »
I just got done watching this with the wife and her take was "even you have to admit that it was weird".
 (I do?)
My take was if you're a Zappa fan it was worth the wait.
The musicianship was just outstanding, they were really tight knit and it was interesting to hear different arrangements from the album.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2015, 12:16 pm »
Because Roxy wasn't/isn't my favorite FZ album for reasons even I don't really know how to put into words, I haven't gone back and been through the record... These are different 'takes'? At least some sound the same to me, like the intro to 'Penguin in Bondage'.

Anyhow, I enjoyed it more as a concert film, maybe because the show had so much of a visual component esp towards the end... Made more sense being able to see it.

As for being weird, this was the 70s after all... FZ had to keep a venue full of stoned college age people entertained somehow. Or as he would have put it, AAAFNRAA.

I was lucky enough to have seen him live three times. I miss the hell outta Zappa.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2015, 12:49 pm »
My wife asked if I was at that concert (nope, too young and wrong coast) but my first Burmese Python back in the 70s was named Frunobulax.
Those were great times.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2015, 12:56 pm »
Those were great times.

..they sure were!! :thumb:

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2015, 01:01 am »
It was definitely worth the wait, and the wait seemed like it was never going to end - since the teaser on Baby Snakes. This is my favorite lineup, which is saying something - lots of amazing musicians have been Mothers. The picture and sound quality are pretty stunning for a show of this vintage. The performance by this band is simply stellar. This show will get lots and lots of repeat showings - watched/listened to it four times already. 

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2015, 05:02 pm »
can someone give us or me a link to where I can get it....Thanks