SCHIIT Headphone Amplifiers

OzarkTom

Re: SCHIIT Headphone Amplifiers
« Reply #20 on: 4 Aug 2011, 03:24 am »
I am driving a pair pf Mr. Hifiman HE5LE with a Lyr. No problem driving those. I am using a pair of US Amperex PQ 6922 tubes.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #21 on: 4 Aug 2011, 03:34 am »
OzarkTom- How do you like that combination of headphone and amp?????

OzarkTom

« Reply #22 on: 4 Aug 2011, 03:56 am »
Very detailed and great imaging. It is very comfortable to wear with no fatique on the comfort or sound.

Next, I am hooking up a Vahalla with a pair of Grado 325i's. I am hoping that sounds nice also.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 9 Aug 2011, 03:08 pm »
Put the 6BZ7's back in and they sound wonderful as well...this has to be placebo effect....the only real difffernce I really can tell is the volume knob setting is a little different, the 6BZ7;s are higher gain than the 6922's.....other than that they play well, both sets..

Alex

keenween

« Reply #24 on: 20 Aug 2011, 03:34 pm »
I just read about a potential Asgard problem that might damage certain headphones:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/562736/what-causes-this-amp-related

I didn't read the whole thread...not interested, but I think Schitt may have offered a solution to owners.

Also, the Lyr preamp section did not review well in ?6moons?. Might work well for a desktop setup?

I really like the simple aesthetics of these amps.

I'm tempted to sign up for the dac tour to compare with my vda2 even though i'm happy and not in the market.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 20 Aug 2011, 04:07 pm »
Hello, yes this post was in regards to the ASGARD SS amp. Someone asked if when turning off the amp was it normal to see or hear a mechanical driver excursion.

Jason one of the co-founders replied several times, the results from the moderator at headfi.com found this:

The diaphragm of my K-701 deformed similarly to the video in the thread.  I measured the right channel only.

I used one of my Fluke meters set to trap min & max potentials.  After visually testing the K701 diaphragm movement, I measured electrically using a pair of LCD-2s, so the load was 50 ohms resistive, again, right channel only.

turn off

-2.2 VDC peak

0.584 VAC peak

turn on

1.112vdc peak

0.332vac peak

I repeated measurements several times to verify results.

The voltage measurements represent just under 100mW of power for less than 0.25 seconds.  That's not enough energy to harm any full size headphone I know, but I wouldn't recommend this with sensitive IEM's

Jason replied as well with this:

Hey all,

I jumped on this and did our own measurements after KW did his. And yes, I can confirm: I was mistaken about the magnitude of the turn-off transient. That's what I get for looking at engineering notebooks over the weekend, rather than going into the office and actually testing. Our peak was about 1.7V at 32 ohms, or about 90 mW.

We have never had anyone complain about driver failure or sonic degradation of their headphones with the Asgard amp since we started shipping. We believe it is generally safe for most headphones. We do not recommend any of our amps with IEMs, and have always stated this.

However, we do understand if you're concerned. So here's what we'll do:

1. We'll add a foreward to the owner's manual recommending to connect sensitive headphones after turning the amp on, and unplugging the headphones before turning the amp off. We'll also add an addendum to the warranty to cover shipping, parts, and labor for any headphone jack failures during the warranty period, to address any possible wear and tear on the jack.

2. We will investigate adding a relay mute to the Asgard, despite my misgivings about relay contacts.

And, to address any other concerns our owners might have:

3. If you purchased an Asgard from us at any time, from June 1, 2010 to the current date, and feel uncomfortable about its performance, contact us and we will take your Asgard back and offer you a full refund of the retail price.

All the best,

Jason

Upon adding this relay many folks were upset by adding this relay over concerns of it affecting the sonic qualities of the amp and realy degradation over time...guess you cant please all the people all the time....now you klnow the rest of the story..

I was an owner of this amp Asgard and had the same cans, AKG702's that the person that started this thread for a year or so. I never had any issues with this combination.

The Lyr has a relay in it.

The important thing when your using these amps and many others is there is an order of powering up and powering down things...I dont care how well your stuff is built and designed...things fail.

I always make sure the volume is all the way down, turn on the amp, wait a minute or so, then plug in the cans...quque up a song...and then slowly trun up the volume and if I dont hear anything...I STOP and figure out what isnt on or selected....

When shutting down the volume is all the way down, I remove the cans. Then and only then do I power down the amp...

Its just smart and good practice.

All the best
Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 20 Aug 2011, 04:10 pm »
Comment on the preamp section....this is a headphone amp first....Schiit has many posts on headfi that explain what its limitations are etc....

"On preamp performance I'd call the Lyr an only partial success. Unlike a pure transistor preamp its high gain makes it noisier. Unlike a pure tube preamp of MiniMax caliber it's more neutral. As such it somewhat dilutes the valve virtues. A truly great preamp only adds (also lots of moolah) but doesn't take away. Here the Lyr steals from resolution to make a rather small payment to body.

Clearly the core target audience are headfiers. Those who also run speaker systems are well advised to give the Lyr a go. But I'd not recommend that preamp buyers pursue the Lyr as primary target. Its illustrious headphone performance only diminishes in that application. To equal it as a preamp takes longer green. And to jump ahead, to exceed it as pure valve headphone amp could take $4.000 for an Eddie Current Balancing Act or fully tricked out Woo Audio Model 5.

With its pre-outs the Lyr is the only Schiit to allow preamp use. To preempt folks from equating 6 watts into 32Ω with real fun directly into 8Ω speakers Jason explained that "Lyr does not have any electronic current limiting but the dynamically adaptive output stage is designed to work optimally into typical headphone impedances.

"Sure the Lyr will drive 8Ω but it is not a speaker amp. Speaker amps usually have some decoupling from heavy reactive loads. Lyr doesn't need it for light headphone diaphragms.

"It also has self-resetting passive internal protection that will limit output at about 1A of current over long periods. If you're going to try to drive speakers or 8Ω transformers, you could potentially run into problems with back EMF and trip our passive protection."

All in all for a measly $450 or so to be compared to $4,000 for an Eddie Current Balancing Act or fully tricked out Woo Audio Model 5 even with a ho hum preamp...aint bad, no sir..aint bad at all...

As I sit here listening to Rattlesnakes by Lloyd and the Commotions on a set of LCD2's...I am not in te least worrying about the preamp and turn off transients....

All the Best!

Alex
 :D :D :D

keenween

« Reply #27 on: 20 Aug 2011, 05:08 pm »
Thanks for posting all the additional information Alex!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 20 Aug 2011, 05:37 pm »
keenween,

Your most welcome...they also have announced a new Bitfrost DAC...and kind of preannounced some future dacs as well..its good to see things designed and built here in the USA that are good and affordable to us that dont have super DEEP pockets...

Alex
 :D

Wig

« Reply #29 on: 7 Jan 2012, 10:41 pm »
Guys,

At this price point to drive my Shure 840 and Grado 80, would the Valhalla or the Fournier HTA-1 be a better bargain? (tube amp preferred).

Thanks,
Wig

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #30 on: 26 Jan 2012, 01:43 pm »
If my Asgard doesn't change as it burns in...it will go back  :?
It's very transparent, but the bass does lack and it's a bit forward
in the upper midrange on my HD650's...which is rarely something someone might say about those phones.
Hibuck....

ajzepp

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jan 2012, 01:59 pm »
If my Asgard doesn't change as it burns in...it will go back  :?
It's very transparent, but the bass does lack and it's a bit forward
in the upper midrange on my HD650's...which is rarely something someone might say about those phones.
Hibuck....

wow, I think this is the first actual "Schitty" review I've read of their products! That's a bummer that it's not to your liking, but I guess there's no such thing as an amp that everyone loves.

Wig

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jan 2012, 04:21 pm »
I have had my Asgard for one week now and it's quite good but my ModWright 5400 is sweeter and have better bass, which I thought the Asgard would be superior in that area. I'll be sending mine back as well.

Wig

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #33 on: 26 Jan 2012, 07:13 pm »
I wonder if its possible that they made up a bad batch somehow....I know its probably absurd but what if some parts or something changed-still within the spec of the individual piece-but maybe made differently. Is that something these manufacturers always have to keep on top of???? :scratch:

roscoeiii

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jan 2012, 08:22 pm »
Well, 1) different strokes for different folks 2) synergy as we all should know is very important in pairing an amp with speakers or headphones 3) the Schiit is built to a price point (a much lower price point than any Modwright product I have ever seen) and even over achievers & giant killers can only overachieve so much.

That's 3 good reasons we should be grateful for Schiit's return policy.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #35 on: 26 Jan 2012, 10:36 pm »
+1 on the importance of synergy.  MY OTL tube head amp has "way" more punch and slam...which I did "not" expect.
Hibuck...