What you might expect from the LeAmpII's!

ABEX

« on: 10 Aug 2003, 04:27 am »
Remembering that MB had mentioned the similarities of the LeAmpII's build quality and components to the new Perreaux R200i Intergrated I rememberd that there are 2 reviews I had recently read of that product in the June Stereophile and August\September Issue of ABS.

What I found intresting is that the Perreaux unit allows the user to add an outboard PreAmp rather than use it's onboard Pre-Amp. The issue in Stereophile did a testing of all combo's possible and the one which would intrest LeAmpII buyers would be the use of the amp section with a differnt Pre-Amp.

They used Hovland HP-100 which I do not imagine anyone using because of the expense,but they did seem to like the combo.

Some of the better points of the amp section were:
Bass Punch-lowend was deep and authoritive
Highend-Clean Fast and well Focused
Rythmic Drive
Crystalline Transient Response
Will easily drive a wide variety of speakers

About the only portion of the presentation it found fault in was it's Midband richness which it said could be found in much more expensive Amps.Both articles touched on this Mid-Band Dryness thing or however you might want to interpret it.They seem to agree upon a lack of Richness and Bloom in the Midband.

I cannot imagine there will not be differences between both amp sections if compared side-by-side.but it might give a better idea what might be expected seeing that they both have similar construction and parts.

Wiring,Circuitboard,connectors,layout,Biasing and some parts might differ greatly which will make for different signatures for sure,but given the basic Transistors used It might be the overwhelming virtue to what we might expect from the amp.

Also note that the LeAmpII is able to double it's output power with each halving of Impedance which the Perreaux does not do makes it a great package to look forward to hearing!

Hope you find it to be a great amp like I hope! I think regardless I will find a home in my system for it after re-thinking of my possible places to use it or them.  

One more thing,the Perreaux goes for $4K as opposed to the LeAmpII's original price,but even at $600\pr. it is a remarkable deal.  

Just thought  you might want to know what I had found in readings!

mbarnes

• http://www.norh.com
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2003, 04:29 am »
The designer of Le Amp told me that the topology an update of a Nachamichi implementation of the Threshold Stasis amplifier that was made a few years ago.

Nelson Pass started up Threshold and introduced the Stasis.  Nachamichi licensed the design and the name and came up with their version.  

Le Amp 2 uses the Toshiba parts which are showing up in some very expensive amplifiers.  

I have listened to Le Amps and I think the sound is very good.  I am also anxious for others to hear it.  The response to Le Amp 2 at the Ohio show was quite positive.

ABEX

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2003, 01:24 am »
I remember the NAK model,but I had never heard it. I know a little of the history behind the Nelson Pass story.

I remember a respected Audio Salon Owner I knew telling me first about Threshold and then they started showing up all over the place. He has some really unique Electrostatic designs also.

One of his new DIY Subs  were recently profiled in AudioXpress. Thing is like 17' high Tube downward firing 20" Driver Design. I'd have to get the issue,but he is intresting. Has a DIY site also which he helps those trying to DIY his Alpha designs. Never meet him ,but he is really intresting.

I did fail to mention the relationship of the the LeAmpIIs design Philos. as I forgot. Sounds like we might expect an updated version of a Stasis design with newer faster parts in a smaller package.

I remember the STASIS as being a Mirrior type of design ,where as Crossover glitch of the Transistors was likened to 0 or something to that effect. Another words when the trannies switch from Forward to Negative there is no glitch at ZERO like on a SINEWAVE. I guess that is what the SWITCHING AMP or PS does.  

Tired right now so I will leave it at that,but I remember reading how it works. I had also read great comments about the NAK amps,but Stereophile ,who I really do not think high reguard of, gave them a bad rap!            

Will look more at things when I get a chance,thx!