Best tubes for my CD-1?

Adam_Reiter

Best tubes for my CD-1?
« on: 28 Jul 2003, 10:50 pm »
Oh man, I wish I new about this place a long time ago.  I kept checking HD for updates.  I wondered where Tyson and Marbles went to this whole time.   I had no idea AC was setup similar to HD.  Nice.

Anyway, I know Marbles and Tyson have probably talked about it before, but what are the best tubes I can put into my CD-1 under $75?  I'm sure you guys have had plenty of a/b shootouts with many different tubes.  Tell me what the best ones are in YOUR OPINION.

Thanx guys, and its nice to see all the people I recognize in one spot again.... without SOM!! hehe  :D

jcoat007

Best tubes for my CD-1?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2003, 01:39 am »
Sylvania GB 5751's.  Liquid smooth. really nice.

Jay S

Best tubes for my CD-1?
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2003, 01:46 am »
I second that.  Heard them in Sesha's CD-1.  Incredibly musical sound.  Check back on HD for comments from our shootout in Hong Kong (aroudn Feb/Mar 2002, I believe).

jones rush

Best tubes for my CD-1?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2003, 12:18 am »
Why are you replacing the tubes on your CD1 ?, are they broken ?. If not, I thought they were pretty good.

jackman

Best tubes for my CD-1?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2003, 12:32 am »
Why are you replacing the tubes on your CD1 ?, are they broken ?. If not, I thought they were pretty good.

Hey Jonesie,

For a guy who claims to have followed this stuff on this and the two previous sites (AR and HD), I'd expect you to know the answer to this question.  Every person with tubes in his setup (at least the ones I know) likes to "roll" tubes to get the best synergy with their individual system.  The stock tubes are pretty good, but several people who have owned the CD-1 have found other tubes to be more to their liking.  It's a cheap way to fine tune your system.  

Just a question about you.  Where did you say you were from?  What was your name on the other sites?  I have followed these sites for a while and pretty much know all of the regulars.   I've had my run-ins with several (maybe most) but have respect for all of the good people who sincerely post their accurate and honest experiences (this includes all of the regulars on this site-even the ones I have battled!) about products they have ACTUALLY tried.  Pardon me if I am reading this wrong, but your posts seem to give me an uneasy feeling.  

Most people know me as a person who is not afraid to go on the attack and take on popular manufacturers and popular members when I feel it is necessary.  I have had my run-ins with most of the popular manufacturers on this and other forums, however, most people know that I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong (as I have done more times than I care to admit).  I hope I'm wrong about your intentions.  Hopefully, you are someone who wants to contribute to this site by providing useful feeback on your actual  experiences.  I guess time will tell...

JG

jones rush

Best tubes for my CD-1?
« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2003, 12:41 am »
For a guy who claims to have followed this stuff on this and the two previous sites (AR and HD), I'd expect you to know the answer to this question.  Every person with tubes in his setup (at least the ones I know) likes to "roll" tubes to get the best synergy with their individual system.  The stock tubes are pretty good, but several people who have owned the CD-1 have found other tubes to be more to their liking.  It's a cheap way to fine tune your system.

Well, I never was interested in tubes before. But I always thought that the CD1 was very good, and that's why I was surprised to see this guy ask about replacing it.

Just a question about you. Where did you say you were from? What was your name on the other sites? I have followed these sites for a while and pretty much know all of the regulars. I've had my run-ins with several (maybe most) but have respect for all of the good people who sincerely post their accurate and honest experiences (this includes all of the regulars on this site-even the ones I have battled!) about products they have ACTUALLY tried. Pardon me if I am reading this wrong, but your posts seem to give me an uneasy feeling

My name is Jones Rush. I'm from Israel. I'm not sure you'll find me at AudioReview under that name (but you will at Hamonic Discord, maybe under Jones_R, can't remember), since I never was a registered member there. You see, in my time, you could have posted as much as you like at AudioReview, without giving your real name. That was FUN!, while it lasted (I think you can find a review of the nOrh 9.0 that I did there).

I guess time will tell...

It always do.

Btw, you can come visit me at AVSForum, great forum also.

Adam_Reiter

Best tubes for my CD-1?
« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2003, 01:55 am »
BTW, I was slaggbot at Harmonic Discord.

Jay S

Best tubes for my CD-1?
« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2003, 02:06 am »
Adam,

How do the Denon 2900 and nOrh CD-1 compare for redbook CD playback?

Adam_Reiter

Best tubes for my CD-1?
« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2003, 02:09 am »
Well, my Denon 2900 is still on its way actually.  Should be here this week.  So I dont know as of yet, but I am excited to find out.

On another note, I finally ponied up for a cable for the Digital out of the nOrh cd-1.  Holy cow!  I could not believe the difference between the tube output and the digital.  The tube's sound SO much better.  So much more dynamic and the bass almost doubles it seems.  Unblieveable.  That is why I wanted to start Tube rolling.

Jay S

Best tubes for my CD-1?
« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2003, 02:12 am »
Adam,

Do let us know what you think of the Denon when it arrives and breaks in.

There are lots of tubes out there for the CD-1 but I suggest you look into the Sylvania Gold Brand 5751.  Its a hard to find NOS tube but it sounds wonderful in the CD-1.  You can read about it in the Tube FAQ on www.audioasylum.com