Prism 6.9 repair question

Wheezer

« on: 23 May 2003, 10:06 pm »
Hello all, first post but I've been lurking for several months.  I recently acquired jasonc's Prism 6.9's, and during shipping from Boston, one of the crossovers seems to have become detached (it's at the bottom of the cabinet).  I've heard of this happening with the drums, but I was wondering if anyone had had this experience with the Prisms and whether it was straightforward to repair (i.e., can I just unscrew the mid and fish around in the cabinet?) or if I should start documenting a claim for FedEx.  Any comments would be most appreciated.

nathanm

« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2003, 04:16 am »
Hi Wheezer!  :rotflmao:  Oh man, it's the Curse Of Norh!  The Falling Crossovers!  This happened to both used Norh speakers I bought, a pair of 6.6s and a 4.1 center.  You just gotta remove the woofer, reach in and screw the drywall screw back in on the crossover.  Make a new hole though if you can, as MDF doesn't hold screws very well, as you've noticed!  Har!  Careful of the wires on the backside though, make sure they aren't overlapping the hole.

It's an easy fix! :)  Personally I'd rather see a brass screw insert used instead of going straight into the wood, but admittedly those are hard to mount in MDF as well.  Hmmm... The drywall screws don't have many teeth grabbing the panel and thus I think they are vibrating loose as the shipping company beats the hell out of the boxes.

gonefishin

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2003, 01:25 am »
Nathanm...this is kind of unrelated to the original question...but regarding mdf and mounting components (cross-overs or...) and mounting speakers you can use a type of T-nut.  I've found that the type with the spike do not work that well with mdf...as they need to dent (or compress) the wood...good luck trying to dent or compress mdf!  

But, the link below will give you another type of t-nut...it's ribbed (no jokes!)  You must be very careful of the size hole you drill for the nut...but once you get the appropriate size hole...put a spot of glue on the nut and insert into the hole.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=7163965&St=8819&St2=-59719899&St3=-40781225&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=120399&DID=7

This seems to work pretty good for mdf...if there are better solutions...I would love to hear them!

thanks guys...take care>>>>>

Wheezer

« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2003, 11:02 pm »
Well, I overcame my paranoia about opening them up.  The repairs were straightforward but tedious.  I first extracted the crossover and noted that the mechanical connection between the two large capacitors and one of the smaller ones had failed in the drop.  I was able to hot-glue the small one, which I believe was the original construction technique, but there was not enough room to do this with the large ones short of desoldering and removing them, so they are now nestled in a bed of flexible silicone sealer.

All of the connecting tabs on the crossover needed to be straightened out, and one of the connectors to the tweeter had come off the wire and remained on the tab.  This was recrimped and soldered (didn't have any silver, unfortunately).

Next, I removed the batting from the cabinet to extract the mounting hardware (two screws and two washers) that was not loose at the bottom.  At this point, it was time to open up the good speaker (and the point about working with MDF is well taken--I already did not want to be repeatedly removing these screws) to see how things were supposed to be mounted.  Oddly, or so it seemed to me, the washers go in between the crossover and the cabinet.  With the batting back in place, this proved to be a surprisingly different task to accomplish, as the washers really seemed to want to run and hide in it.  After something like two hours, I finally hit on snipping a bobby pin in two and using the halves as a guide.

The lower screw would not bite, so I wound up using a slightly fatter one and a drop of carpenter's glue.  I waited for the vinegar fumes to clear up, reassembled the two, and (zippo-bang) was off to the races--irritate the neighbors at 4 in the morning with some Leadbelly to see if the balance was even.  All seems to be well, although the 1978-ish amp that I have from middle-school days in Arkansas might not be the best standard for testing!

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2003, 06:22 am »
Geez Wheez, what an ordeal!  Glad you got them working again at any rate.  I guess I was lucky with mine, none of the XO parts themselves were damaged. (the woofers on the other hand, didn't very much like it when I put 40V DC into them, but that's another story :oops:)

I'm curious what your opinion will be of the bass response on the 6.9s after you've had them for awhile.

Jay S

« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2003, 06:36 am »
Does anyone know if the XO of the marble speaker is also screwed in, or if it just uses a ton of glue to attach to the internal wall of the speaker?  Would like to know what to expect if I open up my speaker.

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2003, 06:56 pm »
My 7.0 drums had a marble plate with a threaded metal insert in it that was cemented to the side of the cabinet.  The XO board was bolted to this with a single allen head bolt.  No problem with those coming loose, however be careful not to overtighten that bolt if you put them back in the cabinets.  If it breaks loose of the plate that sucker ain't ever coming out without major surgery.  Period! :oops: